UKC

Commuting ona cycle wearing a shirt?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cfer 08 Feb 2012
How do people get around this, I have a 10 mile each way cycle to work now our office has moved, which I would like to continue to do, the problem I have is office attire is not really suitable for cycling in..

How do you office types keep the shirts crease free and unsmelling?

Is there a way of folding an ironed shirt so it is uncreased?

So far it looks like dropping shirts to a dry cleaner local to my office on a friday and picking up on a monday but its nearly £20....
 nniff 08 Feb 2012
In reply to caseyfather:

A panier.......
 balmybaldwin 08 Feb 2012
In reply to caseyfather:

Fortunately my office has lockers and showers... could you not drop of shirts at the weekend and have them hanging near your coat? alternatively get a cheap iron and ironing board at work?
 LastBoyScout 08 Feb 2012
In reply to caseyfather:

I used to drive in Monday, leave shirts in my desk drawer for the rest of the week and take them all home on Friday to wash over the weekend.

Failing that, try rolling your shirts, rather than folding them.
 doz generale 08 Feb 2012
In reply to caseyfather:

You can get shirts that don't need ironing.
 abh 08 Feb 2012
In reply to caseyfather:

Hi,

As others suggested panniers may be the way forward.

I have also heard you can get a shirt envelope thing, which protects shirts in rucksacks etc, but have not tried them out.

I have showers and lockers at work, so I take a shirt in daily (ironed at home). It's not totally pristine when I get to work, but generally still retains alot of its ironed features. Some shirts are better than others for the journey (striped vs plain white), although I don't have to cycle 10miles...

Cheers
 ClimberEd 08 Feb 2012
In reply to caseyfather:

Hmm, I don't do a bad job. I don't look pristine but it definitely looks ironed and smart.

1st is you have to iron the night before (or more). This lets it dry ironed rather than travel damp just after ironing.

2nd I travel with it in the top and slightly down the back of a rucksack. (back side not body side). I put it in carefully (important)

3rd I fold it, ummm, not sure how to describe this. On its front, arms pulled across level with other side. Then fold shirt inwards from both sides to meet in the middle. Then fold in half, or 3 times if you need it short.

PebblePusher 08 Feb 2012
In reply to caseyfather:

Key is to roll the shirt rather than fold it. Place the shirt our flat, fold in the arms and roll it up. Never gets to work completely crease free but it's a lot better than any other method I have tried. Another thing I do is bring a few clean shirts into work on my lazy days so I have a stock in the office?

Hope this helps.
Chris
 vark 08 Feb 2012
In reply to caseyfather:
Get one of these:
http://www.breakingfree.co.uk/product/3238/Eagle_Creek_Pack_it_folder_15

It has a stiff plastic bit in the middle that you use to fold the shirt and the case then velcros around it to hold it still. Works a treat and fits in most bags I've got.
 Tricky Dicky 09 Feb 2012
In reply to caseyfather:

I'm a shirt roller
In reply to caseyfather: A jumper covers a multitude of sins. As does a jacket.
 Toby_W 09 Feb 2012
In reply to caseyfather:

I wear Charles Tyrwhitt non iron shirts. They are incredibly smart and nice and don't really need ironing. I do keep one at work though.

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/Default.aspx?q=|||||||||||||||

I really like them as they do slim fit and various arm lengths for people like me who have a high monkey index.

Or you could re-mortgage your house and buy some of that trendy Rapha smart cycling cloths.

Cheers

Toby

KevinD 09 Feb 2012
In reply to caseyfather:

carry it in a bag and use non iron shirts which normally avoid being too creased.
That said I am a scruffy git and dont deal with clients so the dress code is a tad lower in the office where i work than those which have lots of client work.
 Brass Nipples 09 Feb 2012
In reply to caseyfather: Eagle creak cubes. Put your shirt in one and it'll be fine at the end of your commute
 gethin_allen 09 Feb 2012
In reply to caseyfather:
Put paper in your shirt before folding.
 Timmd 09 Feb 2012
In reply to caseyfather:

John whatsit with the grey hair on channel4 news claims cycling fairly slowly and using some toiletries if needed, means he can cycle in wearing work clothes.

Timmd 09 Feb 2012
In reply to caseyfather: John Snow?
 jules699 09 Feb 2012
In reply to caseyfather: Get a bigger cycle rucksack and gently roll up your shirt and place it in top part of your bag. Works for me...with a 30 litre.
malaz90 10 Feb 2012
In reply to caseyfather: I'm with jules on this one. That's how I get around it. Osprey must have had it in mind when making the talon 33

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...