UKC

what does this mean? Where does it come from?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 eggman83 14 Feb 2012
Sorry about this, I hope you all don't think I'm being really stupid but I would like to know the actual meaning of the word 'send' in relation to climbing. Also the phrase 'send it'. I ask because it's something I am hearing more and more of and when I do hear it, it seem to make absolutely no sense to me! I hope I'm not offending those who ue the term I just don't get it!
 Dave 88 14 Feb 2012
In reply to eggman83:

I was under the impression it was some mangled abbreviation of ascend. Never use the term though. Or "crush".
bullandbladder 14 Feb 2012
In reply to eggman83: I presume it's another term borrowed from skiing or snowboarding. It's also used in the world of mountain biking, as in "send it off that cliff/jump/gap,etc.." All nonsense if you ask me.
 Sean Bell 14 Feb 2012
In reply to bullandbladder:
> (In reply to eggman83) I presume it's another term borrowed from skiing or snowboarding. It's also used in the world of mountain biking, as in "send it off that cliff/jump/gap,etc.." All nonsense if you ask me.

I was under the impression it came from Ascend (ascend it). I may be wrong though.
Whether its 'send it dude' or 'I say old chap, go climb it' I dont really mind, I dont think any of the new twists on our language are nonsense.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 Feb 2012
In reply to eggman83:

Surely it is Americanism;

"send it", "crush it", "way to go", "splitter", "bullet-hard", "dude",

- all make me wince every time I read them but I then I am not American!

Chris
 EeeByGum 14 Feb 2012
In reply to eggman83: Send it is more or less the same as burning the route dude.
 johncook 14 Feb 2012
In reply to eggman83: From ascend, American. Drops some letters and makes it easier for them to say and spell?
 The Pylon King 14 Feb 2012
In reply to eggman83:

I'm not entirely sure but somebody told me that "send it" is American slang for "be a total wanker".
 Bulls Crack 14 Feb 2012
In reply to eggman83:

Don't worry about offending people - it can't be more irritating than the term itself...grumble..blah
 GrahamD 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> - all make me wince every time I read them but I then I am not American!
>
Especially when written by people of good Yorkhire working stock who really should know better.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 Feb 2012
In reply to GrahamD:

I still read the American mags occasionally and am amazed that virtually every article uses 'splitter cracks' and 'bullet hard stone' - almost without exception!

Chris
 Furanco C 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Formerly Known as Pylon King:
> (In reply to eggman83)
>
> I'm not entirely sure but somebody told me that "send it" is American slang for "be a total wanker".

I couldn't agree more. If climbing just turns into us treating the lines with the least respect possible, then we just end up with another meaningless sport. Unfortunately some phrases are very catchy and a drive for greater efficiency of language will lead to these terms becoming even more popular. It's a real shame though.
 Fredt 14 Feb 2012
In reply to eggman83:

Americans tend have difficulty with more than one syllable in a word.

Examples that spring to mind are Squirl (squirrel) and George W's famous "Terrst", a fine example of reducing three syllables into one.

Any other examples anyone?
 Fraser 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Fredt:
> (In reply to eggman83)
>
> Americans tend have difficulty with more than one syllable in a word.

To be fair, so do most Brits.
 Jimbo C 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Fredt:
> (In reply to eggman83)
>
> Any other examples anyone?

Mirror

mloskot 14 Feb 2012
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=33

"SEND. American for "climb". Must have originated in California, though why and when is anyone's guess. Usage: "Dude, you really sent that problem." Generally applied to bouldering problems, to give some idea of intensity. Perhaps. Then again, perhaps they just found it easier to say."

OP eggman83 15 Feb 2012
I'm so glad I'm not alone in hating this phrase. I had a suspicion it was another stupid americanism creeping into our lexicon. How can any Englishman in their right mind use this term without feeling the need to go out and buy a gun for no other reason than 'everyone else has one!' I mean why do we always crave being like americans, do people forget they were trying to get away from us. Please don't think I'm being xenophobic I just get annoyed when people make up words which are shortened versions of other words, it makes no sense, it's not big and not clever!

End of rant!
 jon 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Fredt:
> (In reply to eggman83)
>
> Americans tend have difficulty with more than one syllable in a word.
>
> Examples that spring to mind are Squirl (squirrel) and George W's famous "Terrst", a fine example of reducing three syllables into one.
>

Forst.
 rallymania 15 Feb 2012
In reply to eggman83:
> How can any Englishman in their right mind use this term without feeling the need to go out and buy a gun for no other reason than 'everyone else has one!'
>
> End of rant!

fantastic so as a Scotman, it's ok for me to use? Can I have a gun too?
 metal arms 15 Feb 2012
In reply to eggman83:
> Please don't think I'm being xenophobic I just get annoyed when people make up words which are shortened versions of other words, it makes no sense, it's not big and not clever!

Neither are you. That sentence read like a child's 'stream of conciousness' speech. You are annoyed with a change in lexicon, but can't express yourself properly.

Are they making words up or are they shortening them? I just don't know. Language evolves all the time. Get over it.

Chris
(Who has never 'sent' anything in anger, but couldn't give a shit how others express themselves)
andic 15 Feb 2012
In reply to eggman83:

I assumed it was from "send the problem packing" as in whooped it's bullet hard stoney ass
In reply to Fredt:

Compensated for by the process of turning nuclear into nu-kil-ear.
Almost nuclear fission in a sense.
 Michael Ryan 15 Feb 2012
In reply to eggman83:
> Sorry about this, I hope you all don't think I'm being really stupid but I would like to know the actual meaning of the word 'send' in relation to climbing.

No need to be sorry Eggman. Climbing's colourful and rich language can be confusing.

To send means means to climb a route without falling, by redpoint, flash or onsight style, or to complete, or 'despatch' a boulder problem.

You send, and you have done the route or boulder problem.

It's origin is 1980's and it comes from to send or despatch a letter...to have done with it.

..one source sites a US climber called Brooke Sandahl who used to sing the Elvis Presley song , 'Return To Sender' whilst climbing...'Return to sender, address unknown, no such number, no such phone' but I am not sure about that.

I like sending routes or boulder problems, means I can get on with my next send.

Mick
 pneame 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:
> I like sending routes or boulder problems, means I can get on with my next send.

Surely you mean sending your next proj, dude?

Michael Ryan 15 Feb 2012

related words to send, same meaning, are schralp and shred, from Southern California skateboard culture.
 jon 15 Feb 2012
In reply to pneame:

Are you like being serious dude?
 jon 15 Feb 2012

I've always thought of shred as coming from a skiing culture.
 Michael Ryan 15 Feb 2012
In reply to pneame:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC)
> [...]
>
> Surely you mean sending your next proj, dude?

That is correct my good fellow.

Now you must excuse me I have a way to travel down the New York freeway and along the Mass Turnpike to Boston, on UKC business.

Once I've finished my waffles and maple syryp.

Laterz,

Mick

Robert Durran 15 Feb 2012
In reply to eggman83:

I have to admit to using "send" but only ironicallly. If I am serious I use "conquer".
 pneame 15 Feb 2012
In reply to jon:
Like, er, yes - the dude's totally rad - as on his profile pic
 colina 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to eggman83)
>
> Surely it is Americanism;
>
> "send it", "crush it", "way to go", "splitter", "bullet-hard", "dude",
>
> - all make me wince every time I read them but I then I am not American!
>
>
> Chris

add to that list "youre the man"
 handjammer 15 Feb 2012
In reply to colina: F@&kin' A!
 LionSJH 15 Feb 2012
In reply to colina:
>
> add to that list "youre the man"

Uh-oh, missing apostrophe! This could turn nasty!

BTW - Black Diamond (I think) had an advertising slogan "Built for the send" on the back cover of one of my climbing guides. Always wondered what it meant.

Simon.
 Tom Hutton 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Fredt:
> (In reply to eggman83)

Ornge...
 Tom Hutton 15 Feb 2012
> In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:
> no such phone'

Erm... zone?
 deepsoup 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Robert Durran:
> I have to admit to using "send" but only ironicallly. If I am serious I use "conquer".

Nice.

I agree with those above who say 'crush' is a nasty americanism, so I've started using 'squash' instead. Hence "You totally crushed it dude!", becomes "Well done old chap, you completely squashed it!"
 Robert Durran 15 Feb 2012
In reply to eggman83:

Apparently we have a new mode of transport:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=54873
http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=66491

Anyway, I'm off to catch that train to Ratho for some sendage.
 Stone Idle 16 Feb 2012
In reply to eggman83: It pains me to say that I find the term 'wad' somewhat irritating (but that could be my age). When I were a lad it meant a sandwich - but then that might be totally appropriate for some of the, er, non-punters out there.
 Jonny2vests 16 Feb 2012
In reply to eggman83:

Everytime someone says 'Bon Effort', Jesus kills a kitten.
 jon 16 Feb 2012
In reply to Stone Idol:

Yes, wad is irritating but using 'über' in English really pisses me off. So does 'sans'.
 onthebend 16 Feb 2012
In reply to Robert Durran: Excellent. I like "vanquish" too.
cb294 16 Feb 2012
In reply to Fredt:

YURP.
dan 16 Feb 2012
In reply to eggman83: This thread is sick dude.
 jon 16 Feb 2012
In reply to dan:
> (In reply to eggman83) This thread is like sick dude.

Put that right for you.

mcdougal 17 Feb 2012
In reply to jon:

This thread is like totally sick dude.

Never stop improving
 jon 17 Feb 2012
In reply to mcdougal:

Todally has a 'd' in it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...