UKC

Fingerboard warmups - Suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 theneb 15 Feb 2012
I'm now training at home with a Beastmaker and when looking through training routine suggestions there's a bit of a warning to ensure that fingers are warmed up before starting a routine.

What would others recommend? Currently I'm using a stress ball to get my fingers before doing dead hangs, but any other advice is very much welcome.
 PeterJuggler 15 Feb 2012
In reply to theneb: I normally start with some press-ups to get the heart pumping a bit. Then I just start with the larger holds. If that's still too much for warming up then you could start standing on something so you're not lifting all your weight. A stress ball or gripmaster sounds like a good idea.
 Keendan 15 Feb 2012
In reply to PeterJuggler:

My warm up usually goes like:
Sprinting on the spot
6-8 press ups
2-4 pull ups
Gently moving the arms round in circles
Feet on a chair and swapping hands between jugs for a few minutes.
Stretches once the blood is moving

A combination of the above until I feel warm enough.
I normally dance around like an idiot for a couple of minutes to Cypress Hill being sure to wiggle my fingers a lot. I'm sure this technique will also work with a 'Hard Rock' song of your choice.
 MonkeyPuzzle 15 Feb 2012
In reply to PeterJuggler:
> (In reply to theneb) If that's still too much for warming up then you could start standing on something so you're not lifting all your weight. A stress ball or gripmaster sounds like a good idea.

Be careful though; I fell off my gripmaster once.
 mloskot 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Daniel Heath:
> Stretches once the blood is moving

Careful about stretches before workout.
 Andy Farnell 15 Feb 2012
In reply to theneb: Which BM, 1000 or 2000? On the 2000 I do pull-ups on the big slots and middle sloper, 10 on each, rest a minute, repeat x4

Andy F
 Si dH 15 Feb 2012
In reply to theneb:
I have a metolius simulator and a beastmaker 2000. I tend to do 10 seconds hang onthe good slopers onthe simulator, then 4-5 pull-ups on the jugs on it. Then I'll rest 20 seconds then do a bent arm hang or soem chins on the 20 degree sloeprs on the beastmaker. Then I'll maybe do some press-ups, then a straight arm hang on the good crimps on the beastmaker, then a rest then a hang or a few more chins on the sloeprs and a bent arm hang on the good crimps. This is all to get the blood pumping and fingers moving a bit without pulling on any too-small holds. I'll then rest for 3-4 minutes, then start workign down towards the smaller holds.

This seems ot be workign for me at the moment in a cold cellar. If I only had a 2000, I would struggle to be fair. If youve got a 1000 it has more good holds like the simulator so you'll be fine.
 Gazlynn 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Si dH:

Jeeez that's about a weeks worth of training for me on my finger board never mind a warm up

Good effort I suppose that's why I am a punter!!
OP theneb 16 Feb 2012
In reply to PeterJuggler: Cool, did wonder about getting heart rate up, makes sense.

In reply to Daniel Heath:
Thanks for the nice little routine.

In reply to andy farnell: BM1000 , maybe could of gone for a 2000 but wanted to master a 1000 first. Cheers for the info that you do pullups.

OP theneb 16 Feb 2012
In reply to Si dH: Yeah, a BM1000 is a good unit to get running with. Basically my local climbing center is underdeveloped, overpriced and rammed at this time of year. Considering I don't have a huge amount of time to visit anyway, so got a Beastmaker instead of climbing center fees to keep my fingers going.

Good routine anyway, currently following getting warmed up and then 10/5 (on,off) 6x routine on different parts.
 Paul Crusher R 16 Feb 2012
In reply to theneb: alright the neb there's some warm up 'ideas' in this pamphlet which would work the same on your chosen choice of finger vessel.
http://www.pdf-archive.com/2011/08/04/crusher-holds-handout-3-5mb/
 Got a job rob 16 Feb 2012
In reply to theneb: power ball!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...