UKC

NEW REVIEW: Mammut Eiger Extreme Nordwand TL Boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 19 Feb 2012
Nordwand boots drying out showing the laces and Velcro inner boot system., 4 kb

How do these lightweight winter climbing boots compare to the Scarpa Phantom Guide and La Sportiva Batura? Viv Scott takes the new top of the range Mammut Eiger Extreme Nordwand TL Boots out in Scottish winter to find out what they're made of.

To celebrate their 150th birthday last year, Mammut introduced the top of the range Eiger Extreme Collection. Of these boots, Mammut say: "Despite a complete range of technical features, this full-gaiter boot is the lightest in its category. It is the ideal companion for high-altitude tours, ice climbing and expeditions."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=4428

In reply to UKC Gear: Any idea how they compare in fit & warmth to the La Sportiva Trango Extreme Evo? I have bad circulation and get very cold feet even with thick merino socks. I love the fit of the Trango boots, but I'm tempted to get something warmer!
 vscott 20 Feb 2012
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:
A good chunk warmer than trangos - slightly more bulky but not clunky feeling.
fil-p 20 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC Gear: Are they based on the same last as the Mamooks or are they slightly wider ?
 Dan-gerMouse 20 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC Gear:

The fit

Yes, all feet are different. For me personally (my foot isnt your foot!!) the best thing about these is the secure heel and variety of fitting options/acing method to cater for personal preference.

I find the Mammut's to be more akin to the La sportiva nepal evo than anything else in the sportiva range...they are a totally different boot to the trango evo light being wider with a deeper heel cup and a fair amount warmer. I take a 42.5 in the Mammut, 42.5 in the trango evo, 43 in the nepal evo. I find the heel cup to be slightly wider but around the same depth as the batura (2nd gen).

I also find them much less asymetric in fit than the old scarpa Freney XT's, but just as precise with plenty of power to the big toe. The scarpa guide seem like a great boot. The main advantage i've found of the Mammut's over the scarpa guide's when trying them on in the shop (I accept not in use on the hill) is the options for fitting and support.

My comments on the Mammut TL are:-
The insole is (albeit still not brilliant) much better quality than your usual in the box rubbish form most manufacturers. The overall build quality is good, certainly on par with any of the other leading brands.

The lacing has a little plastic locking clip, i've found that if you move it down by one lace (eg. one eyelet) you can lock off the laces on the top of the foot and give a different tension over the ankle. You can then thread the ankle and tighten it up as much or as little as you like, keeping the heel secure at the back of the boot and your toes free to wiggle about.

The detail and small touches. Lots of thought has gone into this boot. For example, there's even a little velco square on the back of the heel to keep the velcro ankle strap out of the way when lacing up, big pull loops for putting the boots on/off and a chunky zipper easily adjusted whilst wearing gloves.The lace lock can be velcro'd into place onto the front of the tongue to stop it slipping down and the ski boot sytle power strap is great.

The sole is close the ground giving a good feeling of dexterity, but doesnt sacrifice warmth due to carbon honeycomb shank which retains heat and a silver heat reflective foil on the insole. The boot feels light and nimble.

A couple downsides as Viv has already said are the wide top of the gaiter, but this hasnt been a particular problem for me (chunky trousers, not legs like Chris Hoy). And I'll be using the suggested seam sealer idea!

I've also found that one of the boots squeaks, not a big deal but i'll be trying to soften up the leather in the offending area with some Vaseline or something. And the laces when cranked right up really tight can bite the ankle a little, the laces can be changed if you wanted but that might be just my feet.

Hope this helps those thinking about getting these boots.

Dan
 droites 21 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan-gerMouse: Extra info greatly appreciated. Have you any more info on the heel size? Scarpas are generally to wide and as far as I can remember Sportiva aren't great either. Currently wearing kaylands. Think I've a 'normal' forefoot and a narrow heel. Hence the emphasis on bel fit.
Thanks
fil-p 21 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan-gerMouse: I found the Mamooks a narrower fit to the trango extremes, are the TL's wider in comparison as I'm tempted by a pair as I like the boots in general especially if the TL's are warmer than baturas
 vscott 21 Feb 2012
In reply to droites: Afraid I Haven't used Mammooks so can't comment directly, seemed to have a pretty snug (good) heel fit on me with enough space for quite wide forefoot. From memory I've found Kayland heels a little tight when I've tried them on (never used a pair in anger).
 ColdWill 22 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC Gear: Question is, are they warmer than the new Batura? I would say the old Batura (yellow zip) were warmer than the Guides which I used all last season.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...