UKC

It's not censorship when we do it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 woolsack 21 Feb 2012
I thought we were up for freedom of speech? Seems not to apply in this case

http://www.presstv.com/detail/227686.html

Jamming signals have been reportedly interrupting the broadcast of Press TV, Iran’s 24-hour English-language news channel, in various locations across Europe.

Press TV viewers in Europe say the frequent attacks last three to four minutes each time.

Some reports indicate that the news channel’s online stream is also targeted at the same time as jamming signals disrupt the broadcast of the channel.

What are they worried about?
 dek 21 Feb 2012
In reply to woolsack:
You must be missing the Anti Israel propaganda from iran Wooley?
 Rubbishy 21 Feb 2012
In reply to woolsack:

If they blocked Fox I would even happier
 Reach>Talent 21 Feb 2012
In reply to woolsack:
Are you aware of PressTVs slightly vague grasp of the truth?
They claimed for months that they had been banned from transmitting in the UK when they hadn't been. They tried to claim the London riots were a glorious peoples revolution that was overthrowing the evil tyrants. They then claimed it was a western imperialist plot to cover up the truth when Ofcom asked them to stop lying about where their editorial office is. They've now lost their UK licence because of their continual breaches of their licence agreement.

They are probably turning off their transmitters just to stir up propaganda.

OP woolsack 21 Feb 2012
In reply to Reach>Talent: So the censorship is justified is it?
 Reach>Talent 21 Feb 2012
In reply to woolsack:
No I'm suggesting PressTV are probably doing it themselves to stir up publicity.
 Cú Chullain 21 Feb 2012
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to woolsack)
>
> If they blocked Fox I would even happier

Noooo, Fox news is awesome entertainment, its up there with the Daily Show for giggles
 Rob Exile Ward 21 Feb 2012
In reply to woolsack: Crikey - if we could only get our daily fix of Iran's English news chammel I'm sure they would be able to convince us to let them have a nuclear bomb, no problem at all.
 Clarence 21 Feb 2012
In reply to woolsack:

Why would anyone block the channel for three or four minutes at a time? Surely if you are going to block a channel then a complete blackout is the only sane thing to do? Sounds like accidental interference or stirring to me.
OP woolsack 21 Feb 2012
In reply to Clarence:
> (In reply to woolsack)
>
> Why would anyone block the channel for three or four minutes at a time? Surely if you are going to block a channel then a complete blackout is the only sane thing to do? Sounds like accidental interference or stirring to me.

If you are trying to watch a video stream it keeps stalling, you get p*ssed off with it and stop watching.

Steeve 21 Feb 2012
In reply to woolsack:
well, we have broadcast licencing laws in the UK, which are pretty reasonable;
breach the terms of your licence and you're no longer allowed to broadcast. that's pretty much what's happened.
OP woolsack 21 Feb 2012
In reply to Steeve: This is the internet. Are we suddenly saying its acceptable to censor that?
 ChrisHolloway1 21 Feb 2012
In reply to woolsack: Oh well if they say it's happening then it must be true.....and look it's on their website, must be true x 2

STOP THE PRESSES, my TV just froze for a second....I think the establishment are trying to stop me watching Family guy, the government are trying to make me watch British TV again the bastards!
 ChrisHolloway1 21 Feb 2012
In reply to ChrisHolloway1: Oh and how exactly do they know they are being jammed? Any proof there or just more of PressTV's claptrap to drum up publicity for them
OP woolsack 21 Feb 2012
In reply to ChrisHolloway1: Well I was trying to watch something on there a couple of weeks ago and that was not working then, constantly trying to reload, made it impossible to view, end result being I didn't bother.

IIRC is was a story that wasn't being reported on any of the Western news channels.

Like I said in the OP, it's not censorship when we do it is it?
 dek 21 Feb 2012
In reply to woolsack:
> IIRC is was a story that wasn't being reported on any of the Western news channels.
>
> Like I said in the OP, it's not censorship when we do it is it?

Get on to George Galloway, he will sort you out. he moonlights for Mossad.
KevinD 21 Feb 2012
In reply to woolsack:
> (In reply to ChrisHolloway1) Well I was trying to watch something on there a couple of weeks ago and that was not working then, constantly trying to reload, made it impossible to view, end result being I didn't bother.

and you know it wasnt just them being cheap with bandwidth how?

> Like I said in the OP, it's not censorship when we do it is it?

who is this we? Got any actual evidence the UK has done anything, well except expecting them to pay the fine and keep to UK regulatory conditions?

KTT 21 Feb 2012
In reply to woolsack: Have you any actual evidence of censorship, I mean beyond the conspiracy that everytime you go to Tesco's they're out of tin foil?
 Clarence 21 Feb 2012
In reply to woolsack:

Apparently the British Govt. is blocking the signal from Bahrain, not sure how that one works. Still sounds like a whole host of other causes such as running the channel on the cheap to me.

I wonder why my newsagent is getting a regular supply of Iranian Newspapers? Must see if MI5 want to do something about that...
 Glansa 21 Feb 2012
In reply to woolsack: You really think that Governments have nothing better to do than occasionally block 4 minutes of Iranian propaganda every now and then? This reminds me of a guy I know who, when very drunk, goes on Facebook and posts something inflammatory then rants about Facebook censoring him and deleting his mental posts. When everyone else points out that he hasn't refreshed his screen and that his mental crap is still there he then accuses Facebook of reposting his stuff to make him look stupid...
KTT 21 Feb 2012
In reply to Nick B, Another One: quality!
KTT 21 Feb 2012
In reply to Clarence: What's page 3 like?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...