UKC

Dangerous Dogs belaying at indoor centres..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 winhill 26 Feb 2012
I was at a wall the other day and someone (had presumably begged to) brought their dog along with them.

Quite a surprise to see it on the bouldering mats at one point, it was only a pup but I couldn't help thinking it was going to shit all over the place.

I thought at the time we'd never had a dogs at indoor walls thread.
 The Lemming 26 Feb 2012
In reply to winhill:

I've dated a few though.

I'll get my coat.
 Alan Breck 26 Feb 2012
In reply to winhill: youtube.com/watch?v=AwUSkBKobIw&

Probably good in the winter as well with built in crampons.
 halo 26 Feb 2012
In reply to winhill: What wall was this and what time and what date.
OP winhill 26 Feb 2012
In reply to halo:
> (In reply to winhill) What wall was this and what time and what date.

Who are you?
 teflonpete 26 Feb 2012
In reply to winhill:

If it was a Jack Russell they're pretty good at belaying, they never let go of the dead rope.
 halo 27 Feb 2012
In reply to winhill: Someone who is very interested in your story. So what wall, time and date was this event?
OP winhill 27 Feb 2012
In reply to halo:
> (In reply to winhill) Someone who is very interested in your story. So what wall, time and date was this event?

Ah, that makes all the difference then.

You initial request came across as rude and very demanding and you've not done any better. Do you have problems making friends?

No disrespect intended but get f*cked.
 valentinesbabe 27 Feb 2012
In reply to winhill: I'd feel pretty disrespected if someone told me to get f*cked...unless they were a close mate and I'm guessing you and halo aren't close mates :-/ or ever likely to be if you talk to him like that!! Anyway...just out of interest what wall were you at when you saw the offending animal? (the puppy I mean, not halo) Or do you have some reason for not wanting to mention it by name?
 Morwood 27 Feb 2012
In reply to winhill: What wall was this and what time and what date.
M0nkey 27 Feb 2012
In reply to winhill: what wall was it?
 Reach>Talent 27 Feb 2012
In reply to winhill:
Dogs at climbing walls whatever next, cattle at the gym?

Actually I've seen dogs at several climbing walls, most of them haven't taken much interest in belaying but seem to like cake.
 shaggypops 27 Feb 2012
In reply to halo: Seems like a perfectly reasonable question to ask
 MJ 27 Feb 2012
In reply to shaggypops:

Seems like a perfectly reasonable question to ask

Wanting to know the exact location, date and time comes across as being a bit officious.
 Ridge 27 Feb 2012
In reply to winhill:
What breed of dog was it, how old and what sex?
 steveriley 27 Feb 2012
Was there a confused owner wearing a Just Dog It t-shirt?
 thin bob 27 Feb 2012
In reply to winhill:
I'd be quite happy for a bit of extra padding if I fell. Unless it was on the sharp bitey bits.
And the smell would cover up my 'brown adrenaline' emissions.

Same applies to kids on the mats. Though they're nosier...
 David Hooper 27 Feb 2012
In reply to winhill: I used to take Chewwie to the wall with me on several occasions when I was running CWA courses and could not find a dogsitter for him.

He was generally very well received by other wall users,but then he didn't wander and make a pest of himself,but would always settle by where I was working or in a space designated by the wall staff.

I still miss him.
 Tomar 27 Feb 2012
In reply to winhill: ...I might be a bit too late to ask but...What wall was this and what time and what date?
In reply to Vertigo1:
> (In reply to winhill) ...I might be a bit too late to ask but...What wall was this and what time and what date?

I'm going to have a guess. The Alter-rock Climbing Centre Derby?
 Redsetter 27 Feb 2012
In reply to winhill: Ive seen a few Moose's at our local wall....
 Tricky Dicky 27 Feb 2012
In reply to Vertigo1:

I guess, Craggy Island, Guildford, 19:33, 21/02/2012
 valentinesbabe 27 Feb 2012
In reply to steveri: Teehee :-D Like it!
 Chris H 27 Feb 2012
In reply to winhill: IIRC some time ago, the thread title most likely to cause the most hoo hah was something like "Taking dogs toproping on 3 pebble slab HVS in the Peaks"
 bobtheclimber 27 Feb 2012
In reply to winhill: I certainly would not let a dog belay for me, but you have to do what u have to do.

out of interest what belay was he using a gri gri is suppose?
In reply to bobtheclimber:
> out of interest what belay was he using a gri gri is suppose?

No it was a grr-grr

chrisbaggy 27 Feb 2012
In reply to Rockmonkey680:
> (In reply to Vertigo1)
> [...]
>
> I'm going to have a guess. The Alter-rock Climbing Centre Derby?

come on, at least guess the time and date as well!!!!

Elrond 27 Feb 2012
In reply to winhill: Just wondering what wall this was at, what time and what date?
 halo 27 Feb 2012
In reply to winhill: Ha, ha ha I take it the UKC mods on here, are not looking with their abusive language ray-gun.

You must be a child if you have to resort to that kind of retort. I simply asked you a question covering facts, and because your intelligence can't handle an normal reponse you go on the defensive.

Not only that but you have let the other contributers to this thread, know exactly what kind of loser you really are.

Next time if you think about insulting someone, you really should check yourself before you do. Not only have you let yourself down, but you have brought yourself down to a level, I left in my childhood years.

Do yourself a favour grow up, grow a pair and man up.
 halo 27 Feb 2012
In reply to shaggypops: Thank you, it seemed perfectly intelligible to myself also.
 halo 27 Feb 2012
In reply to valentinesbabe: Thank you
 mloskot 28 Feb 2012
In reply to winhill:
> I thought at the time we'd never had a dogs at indoor walls thread.

Several weeks ago, I was taking part in one of the junior+senior league-like bouldering comps. As usual, walls are packed during those comps.
That particular wall was not huge, it is not even big.
And, there was a mother supporting 8-10yr old climbing daughter *and* carrying second ~2yr old daughter on her back in child carrier, who was well asleep.

This mother was not a spectator, but she was pretty active, walking on the floor between climbers, sometimes even spotting her older daughter, where the bouldering was literally a bouldering room, 3-4m, packed with climbers, with slab on overhangs on both sides.

I'd been quite nervous and while climbing problems I couldn't get rid of thoughts that I may fall off or take a big swing and hit the small child in the carrier - I'm 80kg bloke, taking a good swing and hitting child with rock shoe, I could cause very serious damage.

Next one, last Sunday during SIBL in the Reach, 7-9 years old girls sitting on mattress, with straighten legs and having a picknick below overhangs 2 meters apart, surrounded by dozen of climbing people.
If someone had fallen and jump on the girls' legs, it would have ended with compound fracture in several places.

Two days on bouldering walls and two observations potentially leading to very serious injuries.
OK, they are kids, so it's our duty to tell them they are in danger, but the mother seemed to be an adult!

Now, is a dog walking in a climbing wall really problem?
Even if I try to imagine a dog making accidental mess due to careless owner, it does not frighten me as much as careless parents in a climbing wall!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...