UKC

Can you recommend me a car? I'm very picky!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hooo 28 Feb 2012
My wife has decided that she wants a nicer car. We currently have an 11 year old Xsara hatchback that cost £900, so it shouldn't be that hard but I'm struggling to find something significantly better within our budget - £4000 or maybe a bit more if it's really good. I've seem a few car threads on here, can anyone suggest (or even sell me) anything?

What I want is: Diesel, 50mpg+, 90bhp+, decent boot space, AC, remote locking, CD player, reasonably quiet on the motorway, reliable, less than 8 years old.
I don't care about looks or high performance, and I'm fine with high mileage.
What she wants is: no bigger than the Xsara (bit of a clash with my boot space requirement), looks nice. She will not consider anything by Ford, Vauxhall or BMW. (I can't be bothered to argue this).

So far I've tried:
Audi A4 - dull interior, too big.
Skoda Octavia - nice, but too big.
Skoda Fabia estate - nice size, but cheap interior and noisy.
VW Golf Plus - the best so far, but I'll have to travel to get one for £4k.
Also considering a Honda Civic, but there are none near me to look at.

Any suggestions?
 Fraser 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Hooo:

Mazda 6 too big?
OP Hooo 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Fraser:
Yes I'm afraid. That's bigger than the Octavia.
OP Hooo 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Hooo:
I forgot an important requirement - 5 doors. Which rules out any affordable A3s.
 Fraser 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Hooo:

Seat Altea?
OP Hooo 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Fraser:
That ticks all the boxes. I'll see what she thinks of it.
 Ridge 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Hooo:
If you can cope with the jeers, anything from Hyundi or Kia would fit the bill.
 Wallm0nkey 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Hooo: VW Bora might be worth a look they made them upto 05 I think get a nice one for the money. I have the tdi sport 150 gets 35-40 mpg around town but easily 55 on a longer run. The 130 is probably the one to go for from what you said.
 Tall Clare 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Ridge:

A Kia Ceed isn't a bad car - might fit the bill.
 Swig 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Hooo:

Seat Leon? similar to golf/a3/octavia but probably cheaper. Might fall down on boot space. 110 TDI SE or 130 TDI SE for the AC, CD player etc.

Mazda 3? (don't tell her it's platform sharing with Ford Focus)
OP Hooo 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Wallm0nkey:
I looked at the spec for a Bora and rejected it. Can't remember why now, probably too big.
OP Hooo 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Swig:
My brother has a Seat Leon, and I think it's pretty good. Doesn't look "nice" enough for her though. Her taste in cars seems to be pretty random, so I just collect a list of models that fit my spec and get her to look at the pictures.
Mazda 3 boot is too small. Otherwise looks like a good choice. Being based on a Ford is no problem at all - as long as the badge is something else
OP Hooo 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Ridge:
> (In reply to Hooo)
> If you can cope with the jeers, anything from Hyundi or Kia would fit the bill.

Fine by me, but I don't think she'll go for it.
bobbybin 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Hooo: Easier and cheaper to get a new Mrs!!
 Gwain 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Hooo: Volvo v40 diesel.
OP Hooo 28 Feb 2012
In reply to bobbybin:
I don't know about that. I think with my current age and mileage I'd be looking towards the lower end of the market
OP Hooo 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Gwain:
A bit big I think.
bobbybin 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Hooo: Ha, I'm with you on that one, think my only hope is to import one with low mileage.

On the car front what about a VW Touran, my Sis' has one and loves it
OP Hooo 28 Feb 2012
In reply to bobbybin:
Not bad, but I think she'd prefer the Golf Plus. Something not so MPV like.
 Philip 28 Feb 2012
Honda Civic. Massive boot, probably most powerful diesel engine in it's class, very reliable.
 Fraser 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Hooo:
> (In reply to Wallm0nkey)
> I looked at the spec for a Bora and rejected it. Can't remember why now, probably too big.

It's only ever a 4 door.

dan 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Hooo: The Audi, golf and both skods are pretty much the same car, all great cars, by the sounds if it you should just go buy something and tell her to like it or lump it, she seems to have discounted all if the cars most people would go for !
In reply to Hooo:
She will not consider anything by Ford, Vauxhall or BMW. (I can't be bothered to argue this).

THE BIG THREE, KILLED MY BABY!

(Sorry couldn't help myself)

I've liked all the peugeots I've driven.
 IMA 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Hooo: Avoid a french car, engines are great the rest of it can be fragile.

Quick question, what made you like the Octavia interior and not the A4? My experience with Skoda /Seat / VW / Audi is the interior tends to become better as you move up (as does engine tuning) but the chasis and engines tend to be the same.

Personally I love my golf and would always recommend one. Never tried the Plus. I have a GTI and my mother had a TDI, both of which handled well, carried a few people and the climbing gear /dogs etc.

Not tried the new civic, but the old man had a lot of cabin noise when on motorways.
 birdie num num 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Hooo:

Try a Vauxhall Chevette
OP Hooo 28 Feb 2012
In reply to dan:
The same car underneath, but that's not what we're choosing. I was surprised how crappy the Fabia was, when I thought the Octavia was really nice.
If she's not going to like it, I might as well stick with what we've got. It's fine by me.
OP Hooo 28 Feb 2012
In reply to IMA:
> (In reply to Hooo) Avoid a french car, engines are great the rest of it can be fragile.

Yeah, that's what all the mechanics said when I bought the Citroen. It's been OK, but I'm not sure I'd risk it again. We do quite like the Peugeot 206SW mini estate though.

> Quick question, what made you like the Octavia interior and not the A4? My experience with Skoda /Seat / VW / Audi is the interior tends to become better as you move up (as does engine tuning) but the chasis and engines tend to be the same.

The new Audis are nice, but the ones in our price range (2004ish) are really dull. The Octavia gets you loads of gadgets, and we can afford a newer one.

> Personally I love my golf and would always recommend one. Never tried the Plus. I have a GTI and my mother had a TDI, both of which handled well, carried a few people and the climbing gear /dogs etc.
>
> Not tried the new civic, but the old man had a lot of cabin noise when on motorways.

I was tempted by a Civic, I'll watch out for that.
OP Hooo 28 Feb 2012
In reply to birdie num num:
> (In reply to Hooo)
>
> Try a Vauxhall Chevette
Ah, but if I go for a classic it should really be an Austin Maxi.
JPSC 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Hooo:

VW Golf Plus was on my short list last time around, until I drove one - wind and road noise were much worse than the Skoda Roomster we bought. The Roomster was also cheaper and had more luggage space. I was looking at younger cars though, so whether you can find 1.9td on your budget I'm not sure.
JPSC 28 Feb 2012
In reply to JPSC:

Cheapest on Autotrader is 4500
OP Hooo 28 Feb 2012
In reply to JPSC:
Yes, just looked myself. It's a bit too much.
That has got me worried about the Golf Plus, I was getting pretty convinced about it. I'd better check it out, but they are all quite a long way from me.
 IMA 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Hooo: worth going to the dealerships and test driving the car if its closer? no idea on distances but its what I made the gf do, ensured she was able to get a proper test drive rather than around the block and meant she could focus on the comparative drives after ageing.

Also thought it may be worth checking the Subaru hatchback (couldn't tell you the name) handles fantastically, lots of space, doesn't look like a rally car.
Downside no idea on price or mpg.

Good luck with it all, car shopping sounds fun until you have to do it.
In reply to Hooo:

I'd recommend a Honda Civic if you can get one for the right price. Best car I've ever had I reckon. More space than anything else in the same class (including handy fold-up rear seats), between 45 and 53 mpg (and I've got a heavy right foot) and masses of poke.

I've got the middle spec, which is what you'd want i reckon.

Only downsides are quibbling - no aux input on the CD player and it could use a few more cubby holes.
 abr1966 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Hooo: Diesal Polo? My mate hs one that's done 176k and going strong!
OP Hooo 28 Feb 2012
In reply to IMA:
> Good luck with it all, car shopping sounds fun until you have to do it.

I don't like shopping or cars, so it didn't even sound fun...

OP Hooo 28 Feb 2012
In reply to redsulike:

Looks really nice. Know where I can get one for £4k?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...