UKC

NEW ARTICLE: GB Bouldering Team - 2011 Results and 2012 Plans

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 29 Feb 2012
Shauna Coxsey climbing to victory in the female Senior category - BBC's 2011, 3 kbIn this article we take a look at the results from the 2011 season for the GB Bouldering Team as well as getting to know who is on the team and what the competition schedule is for 2012.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4485
 mark s 29 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC Articles: why does a world class bunch of climbers need a chiropractor?
maybe a palm reader or astrologist to pre warn of unknown problems.if they are going down that route.
 JayK 29 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC Articles:

Ty Landman a new member? Exciting.
 Madden 29 Feb 2012
In reply to JimmyKay: I remember reading that Tyler was 'retiring' from professional climbing. Obviously it was too tempting!
In reply to mark s: Maybe they just need less negativity?
 Martin Davies 01 Mar 2012
In reply to mark s: Exactly what I was thinking. Tried googline him to find out how he acquired the title of Dr - through medicine or PhD. I know in Australia chiropractors are allowed to use the title Dr but not sure of situation in UK.
r.x.preece 01 Mar 2012
In reply to Martin Davies (KCLMC):

From http://www.elementchiropractic.co.uk/who-we-are: Dr Matthew Pigden (Doctor of Chiropractic) has a BSc (hons) in Applied Sports Science as well as a BSc (hons) in Chiropractic. Matt graduated from the Welsh Institute of Chiropractic in 2002.

Don't know enough about chiropractic to say how this stacks up against your standard route to the 'Dr' title.
 grubes 01 Mar 2012
In reply to JimmyKay:
Aye
Thought the same Ty is a beast will be interesting to see how he gets on.
 mark s 01 Mar 2012
In reply to r.x.preece: the same chiro who told a team member removing your nose stud will fix your bad shoulder because the shoulder is connected to the neck and then the face and nose.there must be a lot of bad shoulders in India.I'm no doctor but I'd have a guess that isn't backed by real g.P's.
J_D_P 01 Mar 2012
I have never posted a reply to any UKC thread but as a team member I wanted to extend my personal thanks and support to Matt and all the other individuals who give up their personal free time to help out the team.

I have being seeing Matt on a regular basis recently and it has been most beneficial to me personally.

To pre-empt an obtuse response from people linking me to a wikipedia page on the placebo effect. Even if it was the placebo effect I simply don't care and all I know is that I had some injuries, the problems were identified and corrected and now I am back training. Simple.

As this debate will rage on for years I think people should ask themselves regardless of your personal opinions of Chiropractors, what difference does it make to you if the team A) Has a Chiropractor B) If team members use the said Chiropractor.

Also if you are going to post onto a forum questioning somebodies integrity, qualifications and work without knowing the individuals involved personally and the case history in detail I would suggest it is not prudent.

Queue other peoples thoughts.

All the best,

Jon Partridge
 Martin Davies 01 Mar 2012
In reply to J_D_P: I hope I haven't offended anyone - that was never my intention. I was thinking aloud about how he came by the title Dr, as this is a protected title for good reasons (to stop the Gillian McKieth's out there).
About chiropractice in general, the evidence (/lack of) is out there and people can make of it what they will. There are interventions that have limited evidence basis but seem to work. From my point of view I enjoy looking at the various evidence bases for treatments, and questioning those without a solid grounding in research - that is how we progress. A quick search on chiropractice on pubmed threw up this article "Chiropractic: a critical evaluation."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18280103
"The concepts of chiropractic are not based on solid science and its therapeutic value has not been demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt."
I shouldn't cherry pick papers however from the limited reading I have done I understand that chiropractice is not based on rigorous theory or evidence based research, and as such I will remain sceptical about the efficacy of any treatments offered by such practictioners.
With regards to your last point on questioning somebodies qualifications - this is vital! Personally I do not want someone performing spinal manipulation on me without knowing exactly what their qualifications are!
r.x.preece 01 Mar 2012
In reply to Martin Davies (KCLMC): I think it's also worth pointing out that spinal manipulation to help with back or shoulder pain and other likely climbing related injuries (which I can quite happily see working) is very different to attempting to cure infections etc in small children where really vaccines would be a better idea. From what I can see (from brief - extremely non-exhaustive web searches) it seems that Dr Matthew Pigden seems to be very much on the more (dare I say) 'physiotherapy'-based end of the scale.

And I agree that his voluntary support is a highly commendable and should be supported.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...