UKC

Brit defeats ‘world’s toughest’ sea cliff climb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
abseil 29 Feb 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar:

Disappointed. I thought it was going to be about Lighthouse Arete at night.
 argyle_dude 29 Feb 2012

"with ropes used just to prevent falls."

Protect falls surely? Unless he also clinched the record for Britain's longest top route as well as longest sea cliff climb!
 argyle_dude 29 Feb 2012

Also at no point was the phrase "sheer rock face" used, shoddy journalism.
 subalpine 29 Feb 2012
In reply to winhill: as is the other one. i reckon he should go climbing with alex
 argyle_dude 29 Feb 2012

Of course, if he wanted to guarentee better media coverage, he should have climbed with a baby on his back.
 goli 29 Feb 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar: HAHA! I thought it would link to James Pearsons walk of life!!!!
 subalpine 29 Feb 2012
In reply to argyle_dude: why use sheer when you can use overhanging?
 Reach>Talent 29 Feb 2012
In reply to subalpine:
I think the Sun pays writers by the word not the column inch, so shorter words earn more money
 d_b 29 Feb 2012

What is it about the tabloids and climbing stories this year? There seems to be a "Death defying brit conquers X" story every couple of weeks at the moment.
 Reach>Talent 29 Feb 2012
In reply to davidbeynon:
What is it about the tabloids and climbing stories this year? There seems to be a "Death defying brit conquers X" story every couple of weeks at the moment.

The Sun hacking UKC perhaps or that recent surveys have suggested climbing is cool and sexy or maybe they know they'll stir up a lot of comment on websites?

subalpine 29 Feb 2012
In reply to davidbeynon: Per aspera ad astra
 Hannes 29 Feb 2012
In reply to Reach>Talent:
> I think the Sun pays writers by the word not the column inch, so shorter words earn more money

Isn't that just to keep the Flesch Kincaid score down? In this case down to 60
 Rog Wilko 29 Feb 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar: Every time someone uses words like "defeat" and "conquer" in relation to climbing a little bit of me dies. Rather the mountain/climb looked on me generously this time.
 Colin Moody 29 Feb 2012

Not just the Sun.

I was told it was in the Mail today.
 Keendan 29 Feb 2012

Still nice to see a couple of photos I hadn't seen before
 Postmanpat 29 Feb 2012
In reply to womblesi:

Love the comment, "why did he put he put his helmet on when he got to the top?"
Why indeed?

Kipper 29 Feb 2012

Some great comments (from The Sun site, I can't face the Mail one at the moment).

Some of my favourites :-

"Whats the big deal? He has all the saftey systems in place. People do this without saftey ropes all over the world."

"... if he ends up getting stuck or somthing who has to risk their lives saving him? you're the closed minded one here..."
Kipper 29 Feb 2012
In reply to Postmanpat:
> (In reply to womblesi)
> [...]
>
> Love the comment, "why did he put he put his helmet on when he got to the top?"

That's quite a good question.......
 Mike Lates 29 Feb 2012
In reply to Postmanpat: Same reason he put on a full skirt of Camalots from the look of the helmet logo
 Postmanpat 29 Feb 2012
In reply to Mike Lates:
> (In reply to Postmanpat) Same reason he put on a full skirt of Camalots from the look of the helmet logo

Good point!
Yrmenlaf 29 Feb 2012
In reply to argyle_dude:

And surely the correct unit of measure for height is the double-decker bus or the Eifel Tower?

Y.
 staceyjg 29 Feb 2012
In reply to Kipper:
> (In reply to Double Knee Bar)
>
> Some great comments (from The Sun site, I can't face the Mail one at the moment).
>
> Some of my favourites :-
>
> "Whats the big deal? He has all the saftey systems in place. People do this without saftey ropes all over the world."
>
> "... if he ends up getting stuck or somthing who has to risk their lives saving him? you're the closed minded one here..."

The guy/girl who posted this is a complete tw@t and I have happily told them to go and learn about climbing before talking crap!!
 Tom Last 29 Feb 2012

I love the way Dave seems to have taken it upon himself to explain the difference between free climbing and free soloing, bit of a bugbear that one. Nice one Dave for sorting it!
 muppetfilter 29 Feb 2012
In reply to Daniel Heath:

>
> Still nice to see a couple of photos I hadn't seen before

Sadly the Photo of him with a small child unsecured and also not wearing a Helmet was removed....
 grp 01 Mar 2012
"He should crap on a seagulls head while he's up there!"

amazing comment
 Michael Hood 01 Mar 2012
In reply to Kipper: Somebody on the mail has managed the "what's he done on grit" question - respect
In reply to Michael Hood:

Also now in the Mirror - edited (badly) a bit from the other two.

ALC
 Escher 01 Mar 2012
A lot of these articles appear at the same time because the articles are written by syndicated agencies who dispatch them to news agencies, newspapers and magazines at the same time. I don't think they are copying from each other. I worked with one of the agencies recently and they explained to me how it's done.
 Escher 01 Mar 2012
In reply to Escher: Dave was also mentioned on the Today programme on R4 this morning.
 Al Evans 01 Mar 2012
In reply to Escher: On the whole I thought it wasn't a bad bit of reporting the the tabloid press(especially The Sun). Though I wish they had been less scathing about the first ascent
"It was first climbed in the 70s but that was by people with plenty of safety systems in place."

No they didn't, unlike this albeit brilliant acheivement, it was climbed on sight, as was the first route up the face , The Original Route, what were these 'plenty of safety systems in place'?
 Red Rover 01 Mar 2012
In reply to womblesi: Bit of a typo in the title of the Mail one:

'and takes time out at at 500ft to admire the view'
 Red Rover 01 Mar 2012
In reply to Red Rover: Plus the usual 'leave the to die rather than spending taxpayers money on rescue' comments from the armchair cowards.
Kipper 01 Mar 2012
In reply to a lakeland climber:
> (In reply to Michael Hood)
>
> Also now in the Mirror - edited (badly) a bit from the other two.
>

In the Star today.
 henwardian 01 Mar 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar: Hahahaha, typical sun.
1) Ropes don't stop you falling.
2) It isn't the highest sea cliff in the UK.
3) It isn't Daves "upper body strength" that makes him one of Scotlands top climbers.
... and there are probably more but I just realised I am reading the Sun so I need to go wash my brain with lye.
 Jamie B 01 Mar 2012
In reply to henwardian:

Also pretty sure that The route he chose to climb has been nicknamed the long hope route because of its difficulty. is a pile of bollocks too. Wasnt it named in honour of the 8 crew of the Longhope lifeboat who had perished a year or two before?
 Al Evans 02 Mar 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: It certainly was, we went to visit the memorial site when we did the first ascent. Ed wanted to call that the Longhope Route but we decided it wasn't grand enough, so Ed returned to do a more fitting tribute.
 Alex@home 06 Mar 2012
In reply to winhill:
> (In reply to Double Knee Bar)
>
> this is a great picture
>
> http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01462/CLIFF-CLIMB-532_1462032a.j...

and isn't it amazing how he managed to climb up the only bit that wasn't covered in lichen
 FreeloaderJoe 06 Mar 2012
Did Dave solo this route?
 Allan Thomson 06 Mar 2012
In reply to Mike Lates:
> (In reply to Postmanpat) Same reason he put on a full skirt of Camalots from the look of the helmet logo

Is it me but is the picture at the base of the crag of Andy Turner and Dave Mcleod at St John's Head by Lukasz Warzecha/Caters News Agency photoshopped?.....
In reply to Allan Thomson:

PMSl in addition to the What has he done on Grit comment...

"Everyone knows that Scottish grades are pish, and in Yorkshire that would just be E0...plus, how did he get the rope up first eh????
- nevisthecat, Skipton, 1/3/2012 0:50"
It also begs the question, did he use a sheep for the belay?.....
 kwoods 06 Mar 2012
In reply to Allan Thomson: I think he used a flash to give it the odd look - if that's what you're talking about. Can't remember if I read that somewhere or if it was at his talk.
In reply to kwoods:

That might explain it, it certainly looks odd, they appear much sharper and lighter than the background. However they look totally out of proportion compared to the cliff as well. (queue the "these ones are small, but the other's are far away"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vbd3E6tK2U).... Perhaps he used tiny cows for his belay???....
 kwoods 06 Mar 2012
In reply to Allan Thomson: I cracked up at that big time.

Are you sure the guy in the photo even is Dave Macleod?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...