UKC

Montane Flux or North Face Optimus discuss?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul Crusher R 29 Feb 2012
One or the other trying to decide which.. for occasional winter ice forays, bit of alpinism and all round cragging. Any ideas, Thanks.
 gear boy 29 Feb 2012
In reply to Paul R: which one fits best? roughly equal warmth, flux maybe a touch warmer, hoods different, pockets different

both will do the job, choose fit would be my first answer
 brianblock 29 Feb 2012
In reply to Paul R: flux has rather long arms
In reply to Paul R: I don't know the Optimus but here's my thoughts on the Flux: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/review.php?id=4457
 Run_Ross_Run 01 Mar 2012
In reply to Paul R:

Flux.

Because I had one, sold it and then wished I'd hadn't.
 Fraser 01 Mar 2012
In reply to Paul R:

GoOutdoors are doing deals on Rab Photons at the moment. Might be worth considering as an alternative.
 Lee Sheard 01 Mar 2012
In reply to Paul R: Ive got a patagnia nano puff hoody. Its the lightest/warmest mid layer ive owned. Very low on bulk too. Not the cheapest mind!
 Fraser 01 Mar 2012
In reply to Lee Sheard:

Apples and oranges, no?
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com: How tall are you dan? that montane gets a grilling in your review. Ive had an old one for years, great jacket, no hood though, thats what im after really, n wearing with a helmet on... hmm
In reply to Paul R: The rab photon is the thick one? too warm for me. Like the look of the ME one actually.
In reply to Paul R: Six feet, but my proportions are more an issue than my height. If I had a shorter body, smaller head (and helmet) and longer arms then it'd fit me better. I hope I've not grilled it, just found faults as well as good points!
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com: Yeh grilling is probably not quite the right word. Yeh Im 6'1 and long bodied, the arms on my old one are long actually. Pain with gloves. Anyway if it dont fit it dont fit. Cheers
In reply to Paul R:

The Berghaus Ignite Hoody jacket is another fairly competent candidate; also 100g body/60g sleeves.

But, dear god, Berghaus have obviously been 'improving' their website, so it's almost impossible to find anything, and when you do, there are no garment details other than a few pictures and the price. (hmm... seems to be a problem with Firefox).

http://store.berghaus.com/p/alpine-climbing-mountaineering/mens-ignite-hood...
 brokenbanjo 06 Mar 2012
In reply to Paul R:

Got a Flux and it's just right for me. No issues with the hood as found in the review (perhaps the reviewer has a fat head ).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...