UKC

Hostels in Zermatt: any recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mattgrange 01 Mar 2012
Myself and a friend are planning to do the traverse of the Monte Rosa group from Breithorn to Dufourspitze in late June/early July, staying in huts during the route. However, we will also need somewhere to stay for potentially two nights (one at either end of the trip) in Zermatt. Anyone got any recommendations or other/better ideas? We would need somewhere that would allow us to leave our unessential kit for the duration of the climb also.
 wilkie14c 01 Mar 2012
In reply to mattgrange: We stayed at the Alpha hotel <or hotel alpha> small rooms but everything you need, clean, buffet breakie and although a shared bathroom it was a bath/shower not just a bath. Compared to the matterhorn hostel it was well worth the extra. IIRC it was 40ish quid per night.
5 mins from the train station and 15 min from the cables
 wilkie14c 01 Mar 2012
In reply to mattgrange:
If fact now i've been thinking back to the hotel i remember that we asked the lady if it'd be okay to leave our gear after checking out, we didn't travel back to Zurich till evening so wanted to squeeze one more route in, she said it was fine and we'd be welcome to use the bathrooms for a shower etc if we wanted to as well. The weather crapped out on that last day so didn't bother in the end. When we settled up before leaving she presented us both with a box of chocs that were shaped like the Matterhorn. A lovely touch and although we were only there for sleeping, I felt that nothing would have been too much trouble if we needed to ask her help.
Would I go there again? Yes so i guess thats a good recommendation. We did think about booking the Matterhorn hostel in the town but read plenty of horror stories so considered the saving not worth the risk
This was September 2011 BTW
Tim Chappell 01 Mar 2012
In reply to mattgrange:

I personally would go to some lengths *not* to stay in Zermatt. It's a wretched, joyless, overpriced hole in my view. Everyone should see it once because of the history and so on, but once is enough.

Taesch is better, and so is Saas Grund. I haven't been to Cervinia, but it surely must be better too: how could it be worse?

This campsite in Saas Grund is nice:

http://www.rentocamp.com/camping-schoenblick-saas-grund.htm
 dan bulman 01 Mar 2012
look into the hotel bannanhof or something like that. it looked nice enough when i was there. right next to the train station. i camped at tasch which was fine. but i think you had to pay to leave your gear as your tent still takes up a space. it would be good to stay in zermatt just for the history of the place. quite nice really for a day or two.
 wilkie14c 01 Mar 2012
In reply to dan bulman:
Yes most plesent, nothing better than sitting with a beer and people watching on the main street, really get the atmos of the Alps. The climbers cemetry is a must do and very humbling. OP needs to prepare for 7 quid a beer in cheaper places and 12 quid for a small bottle in the 'nightclub'. Its not a place for going drinking! Mac D's on main street, basic but cheap in comparison, fine for a coffee and free internet, good bakery too on the main strip that does all manner of 'subs' and cakes and fairly reasonable.
In reply to mattgrange:
Stayd at Bahnhof Hotel/Hostel 6 or 7 years ago.

http://www.hotelbahnhof.com/eng/home.htm

Good location, good self catering facilities, lots of other climbers and guides ataying there.
OP mattgrange 02 Mar 2012
In reply to mattgrange:
Awesome, many thanks guys, much appreciated!
 colina 02 Mar 2012
In reply to mattgrange: will second the hotel bahnhoff.stayed there last september.probably the "cheapest" hostel, and ideally situated as it is 20m from where you get off the shuttle so wont cost you a taxi fare.
hostel is extremely clean warm and comfortable,theres also a drying room and a large self service kitchen ,modern appliances etc.an excellent base if youre planning on staying in zermatt.may need to book in asdvance in hi season

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...