UKC

BD Climbing Skin Size

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JR 05 Mar 2012
I have a brand new pair of uncut 110mm mix skins. My new skis are 133mm tip 106mm underfoot.

What are peoples thoughts on if I can get away with those skins or do i need wider ones (ie 120s or 30s)

Feels like it might just be a bit too much un-skinned on the tips.
OP JR 05 Mar 2012
In reply to John Roberts (JR):

actually they're 133-103-124 tip to toe
paraffin 05 Mar 2012

BD skins STS - mixed nylon / mohair (the grey ones) - are by far the best on the market for Euro conditions.

I got the 110 mm for my Bandit Respects 122-94-112. I have trimmed them and they work very well.

According to Telemark Tips the lack of skin cover @ the tip is not so important as at the tails. So check cover at the tails. Allowing for the fact the skin width is actually more than 110 mm and you need to trim 2-3 mm off each side to reveal the metal edges - you should save yourself £30 or £45.

Davie
paraffin 05 Mar 2012
> (In reply to John Roberts (JR))
>
> actually they're 133-103-124 tip to toe

Ooooh! - 124 mm you need to go up a size.

sorry

Davie
OP JR 05 Mar 2012
In reply to parafinn:

cheers,

facewest seem to think it'll be ok though I'm a bit more cautious about it.

I already have 110mms, though they will fit on another pair of skis I have so maybe I just need to cough up and get a 120mm in that case.
paraffin 05 Mar 2012

ironically sitting in my office less than 2 miles from Facewest.

Sounds like the new skis are a powder ski at that width. You could try existing 110mm skins on new skis - should be ok until you get on an icy traverse. Then the fun begins. So yeh, 120 mm for peace of mind and not p***ing off your touring buddies.
Again the 110 mm trimmed might do it- if the shape is such that only a few mm are showing on the base - about 5-6 mm at the widest part of tail.

Warning some retailers are selling off the old orange or grey STS skins that are stiffer & do not perform as well as the more recent model from BD.

Davie

Mark Sweatmasn 05 Mar 2012

A bit depends where you skiing - if you're doing lower angled stuff then you might find it is enough and you'll appreciate the extra glide. If you're doing steep stuff with kick turns you would appreciate every mm of cover you've got.
OP JR 05 Mar 2012
In reply to parafinn:

in which case i'll keep the 110mm for my other skis and buy some 120/30s in whistler when i get there...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...