UKC

Alpkit zips....anybody have any problems?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 05 Mar 2012
Is it just me or do other people have problems with their Alpkit down jacket zips?

My main bug bear at the moment is that when I unzip the zip to take my jacket off, the mechanism gets stuck at the bottom of the garment and the zip will not separate. I then have to pull the jacket over my head to take it off and then spend ages and ages trying to get the zip mechanism to separate.

This is now happening on a regular basis every few weeks or so.
 Microwired22 05 Mar 2012
In reply to The Lemming: Not noticed this with my jacket..

Mind you, I've had mine a few years so i'm guessing it was the original version? Might be new zips on the new ones!

Speak to them and send it back, they're always fantastic customer service wise!

C
 Joss 05 Mar 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Gutted for you, Ive had mine for 2 years and its been fine. Get in touch with them, I had a faulty sleeping mat and thet were very quick in checking it and supplying me with a new one.
 Fraser 05 Mar 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Yes, happens pretty much every time I try to unzip it.
 thin bob 05 Mar 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
some zips just seem to be awkward
Some respond by being used a bit & 'loosened up'rather than being really tight fitting.
give it a wiggle, mate!
OP The Lemming 05 Mar 2012
In reply to thin bob:

> give it a wiggle, mate!

Every time the zip has jammed, only Little Miss Lemming has been able to use her magic hands on it.
 Fraser 05 Mar 2012
In reply to thin bob:

I emailed them after my last post and got an immediate reply as follows:

"The zip on the jacket is a good quality YKK zip, which will feel stiff to begin with because we don't want the zip to wear out. Another thing that could cause the zip to 'stick' is if the double zip isn't done up correctly. I've passed your comments onto the product guys so that they can take note for the next production."

Since getting the email, I dug out my Filo which I'd not worn for a few weeks and retried the zip. It suddenly works fine, wouldn't you believe it! Now I'm not sure what has happened between last trying it and now, (because, believe me, on many occasions I have spent several minutes trying to disengage that blooming zip!) but I'm happy it now appears to be working.

On a slightly down-side however, Alpkit chose to ignore my query about the design of the hood-cord toggles digging into your chin once the strap is closed. I've emailed back in the hope of further for comment from them on this issue.
OP The Lemming 06 Mar 2012
In reply to Fraser:

Interesting reply from Alpkit about the zip. As for my jacket which I got from the new batch, it has been worn weekly and at times on a daily basis during the winter, and the sodding thing plays up from time to time.

I may send a mail to Alpkit for their advice.
 Fraser 06 Mar 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

I have mine on again today, and have to report the zip now sems to be working fine. It's perhaps just easing off a bit now with some use. Still no response to my hood-cord quibble though, despite a second email from me.
 Fraser 06 Mar 2012
In reply to Fraser:

Response now received requesting photos of the issue. Some hopeful progress...
 fire_munki 06 Mar 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
My zip is a bit of a PITA occasionally too, never any issues doing up just undoing.
 gear boy 07 Mar 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

If its a double slidered zip, when you do it up make sure the bottom slider is all the way down, and the top slider on to it,

hold the fabric to the side of the sliders not the sliders when you locate the other side of the zip, keep holding the side you just pushed in and pull slider up with other hand

Reason I say this is because the jam can be caused by the zip not being located correctly at the start, it goes up but wont go down, if you start right it will undo

common problem on a lot of double slidered zips

HTH
 FrankBooth 07 Mar 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
Running a candle along the zip can really help.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...