UKC

Le Palais, Alpes Maritime, FRANCE - Information

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Climber_Bill 06 Mar 2012
Hi,

I am heading to the Cannes and Nice area for a couple of weeks at Easter. Whilst I have climbed in that area a lot over the last 15 years I have never been to a crag called Le Palais, which is situated somewhere just north east of Monaco and La Turbie.

This crag is not in the L'escalade dans les Alpes Maritime guidebook or the Rockfax Cote d'Azur guidebook.

Does anyone know more details of this crag please? It looks absolutely brilliant from the page about it on UKC.

Strange that it wasn't put into the Rockfax for the area as some of the routes seem to date back to at least 2007.

Thanks for any information provided.

Rich.
 jon 06 Mar 2012
In reply to Richard White:

You'd be best contacting Mike Owen. I'd guess the reason it didn't make RF is its overall difficulty, though I'm sure Chris or Alan might explain better.
OP Climber_Bill 06 Mar 2012
In reply to jon:

Thanks for the reply. I have dropped Mike an email but I think he has either gone native and forgotten English or he is under strict orders from the locals not to disclose any details about this crag.

I have found a Nice climbers website with some details on it in the topos section here;

http://www.nice-climb.com/categories.htm

Hopefully that should be enough to get me there.

Cheers,

Rich.
 Fraser 06 Mar 2012

Never heard of it but it does look great! At that grade range and extent, I'm amazed it isn't in the AM topo and it would be good to have another 'new' crag to visit in that area. I did find this link though which may be of some use / interest:

http://www.climbingaway.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&a...

Fraser 06 Mar 2012

Aah, that's the site I was trying to find too.
In reply to Fraser:

Thanks, that gives a bit more info. I like the description of the crag; "Rock climbing area recommended for high level, stronger climbers"

Hmmm, don't think that's quite me. Hey ho, will be worth a scramble to get to the crag.
 jon 06 Mar 2012
> (In reply to jon)
>
> or he is under strict orders from the locals not to disclose any details about this crag.

Whilst I wouldn't rule that possibility out, it would seem strange that Mike should include it in the database if that was true. I haven't climbed there as it's too hard for me, but a friend of mine made quite a few visits a few years back and said that the locals seemed quite surprised at his presence!
In reply to jon:

> or he is under strict orders from the locals not to disclose any details about this crag.
> it would seem strange that Mike should include it in the database if that was true

I am sure you are right and he isn't. However, it does sound more interesting than he is too busy with work / family etc to reply.

Cheers.

Rich.

Petit Palais and Marches du Palais are also very good, and being a shorter walk are a bit more popular. Also, when the Sun hits Marches it's coming off Petit Palais, so a combined trip can work well. Not much at Marches for the lower level climber, but list of routes here

"h_t_t_p://philippegatta.fr/blog/climbing-marches-du-palais-l’homme-faible-du-moment"

(the link works, but the UKC software can't handle the ' symbol - hence the weird formatting)
In reply to midgets of the world unite:

Thanks very much for that. Will pay them both a visit. Are they in a local guidebook?

Cheers.
 Enty 06 Mar 2012
> (In reply to jon)
>
> [...]
>
> I am sure you are right and he isn't. However, it does sound more interesting than he is too busy with work / family etc to reply.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Rich.

It's school hols at the moment - they'll be off in the Cali somewhere. I think he mentioned a crag near montauban but that might have been for Easter.

E

OllieR 07 Mar 2012
Some info plus link to the topo can be found here:

http://www.climbapedia.com/en/crag/le-palais/
OP Climber_Bill 07 Mar 2012
In reply to Enty:

Cheers Enty, good to hear they are keen as ever.

Rich.
OP Climber_Bill 07 Mar 2012
In reply to Climbapedia:

Thanks very much, more details to build up the picture.

Rich.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...