UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: Adventure on Monte Monaco - Sicily

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 06 Mar 2012
Scott leading out on the traverse of pitch 9., 2 kbIn this article UKC regular Jim Titt gives his account of the first ascent of a route on Monte Monaco, Sicily.

"I thought it was the pits already and the night was going to be a long one. The wind gusted around the corner, raindrops gleaming in the light of my headtorch. I huddled further into the poor shelter offered by my rucksack and listened to the thunderstorm brewing up on the peak above..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4445

Mick Ward 06 Mar 2012
In reply to UKC Articles:

'Fitness was out of the question... in fact according to all those definitions we read on the forums neither of us actually qualify as climbers these days!'

Lovely stuff, Jim! Feel free to carry on failing to qualify as climbers. And, certainly in Scott's case (don't know about you), being a snappy dresser. The route looks good as well. Congratulations.

Mick
 jimtitt 06 Mar 2012
In reply to Mick Ward:
Thanks. We don´t get out much (well me in particular) but we do try to get things done on the odd occasion, we put up another 10 sport routes as well that week.
Scott had the sartorial edge on me this time, Primark would be aspirational when it comes to my climbing clothing. My fleece cost £2.00 in 1988 and the rest isn´t a great deal better. I tend to climb in the same clothes I walk the dog in, clearly we need a clothing sponsor (and perhaps a stylist)!

Jim
 purple sue 08 Mar 2012
Nice one Jim & Scott. Really great effort on what will become a trade route eventually.
 Dave 88 08 Mar 2012

That looks ace, I really want to climb that. Brilliant effort.
 Dave 88 08 Mar 2012

Jim is this in the logbook anywhere? I want to add it to my wishlist (aka "to do list").
 jimtitt 08 Mar 2012
In reply to Dave 88:

I don´t do that logbook stuff so no, there are another 400 routes not in the logbook already! I´ll ask Scott to put it in if he can, he´s the crag moderator.
I´d better finish the topo as well!

Jim
 jimtitt 08 Mar 2012
In reply to scott titt:

Jeez, that was quick! Must be raining back home!
 Dave 88 08 Mar 2012

Thank you sirs. Er, could I be a real pain in the arse and ask you to email me the topo when it's done? I'd really love to do this and it's always hard to find partners when all you've got is "yeah I heard it goes up here somewhere".
 jimtitt 08 Mar 2012
In reply to Dave 88:

I´ll mail you one later when I´ve brushed it up, though it does just go up there somewhere! In fact the first 9 pitches are fully bolted so I doubt you´d get lost, after that it just goes up taking the line of least resistance. Its pretty obvious really, you don´t climb the overhanging yellow walls!

Jim
 Scarab9 08 Mar 2012

nicely written article and what sounds like a hell of a route. nice one guys.
 Dave 88 08 Mar 2012
In reply to jimtitt:
> (In reply to Dave 88)
>
> you don´t climb the overhanging yellow walls!

I never do!

Cheers Jim, much appreciated.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...