UKC

Choice of daysack Osprey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 06 Mar 2012
Are there any views on Osprey rucksacks. I want a largish day sack. The one I tried is 38 litres, light, long back, seemed well designed and made. Thanks. Any others to consider otherwise?
 dan bulman 06 Mar 2012
i've got a 38 lt one called mutant. got it because it fit my long back. i like it, good for everything. get one.
OP Phil1919 06 Mar 2012
In reply to dan bulman: Thats right, I smiled at the label calling it a mutant. Yes I did like it but hadn't come across the brand. Am I right in thinking it would pass as a big daysack.
 dan bulman 06 Mar 2012
yeah. its fine as a day pack as its lightweight. i use it for summer/winter climbing, alpine trips, bivvy nights.
the buckles are a bit delicate. but i stood on one and broke it. i mentioned it in cotswolds one day and they told me they come with some sort of guarantee, so they sent me a new one in the post.
fits perfectly in ryanairs handluggage dimensions too!
OP Phil1919 06 Mar 2012
In reply to dan bulman: Thanks.
 london_huddy 06 Mar 2012
In reply to Phil1919:

I'm selling mine for £60 or so. Not seen much use and in good condition - drop me an email if you're interested and i'll fire over some photos.
 FranC 06 Mar 2012
In reply to hindu: It isn't a small is it? I found the medium and large sizes too big but reckon a small would be perfect! Cheers
 billyf1 06 Mar 2012
Osprey rucksacks are really good, and amazingly comfortable. I myself own several bags of theirs ranging from courier bags to full expedition packs. The mutant is a great day sack for winter use but it is rather large, I find I can generally get a weekends worth of camping gear in the bag with 2 person tent hanging off the gear loops.

Another day pack they do is the talon range, where you can get either a 22l or 33l. In the 22l I can get climbing shoes harness, 20 odd quickdraws, krabs and belay plate, lunch and spare layers.

Best thing to do is try It out in a store. Best way to fit is to loosen all support straps, put on rucksack, tighten hip bet so that it sits over ur hip bone, then adjust shoulder straps. U want the weight ratio about 80/20 in favour of the hip belt. If it fits well there should be minimal if any space between ur shoulerds and the shoulder straps.

Hope this helps
 NathanW 07 Mar 2012
In reply to billyf1: Talon 44, amazing bit of kit!
In reply to Phil1919: I tried a Mutant 38 on recently and was mighty impressed - good build quality and features but not too expensive. It is worth pointing out that the larger size I tried on was actually 42 litres when I read the details on the label so the '38' doesn't tell the whole story.

Also the GF has the female version in an a super short back-length and thinks its absolutely fab as it was pretty much the only sack she could find that fitted.
OP Phil1919 07 Mar 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: Thanks all. I'll go back in and try it on again today. I liked its low key look as well.
 fernie 07 Mar 2012
In reply to Phil1919: i was on an M.L course last week, 5 people in the group, 4 had Osprey sacks. Think they are starting to stand out as good quality kit, much more of a true litreage than other brands. very hard wearing aswell.
 bluebealach 07 Mar 2012
In reply to Phil1919: Has anyone got any experience of the Talon or the Kestral series? The Talon does come in some fairly decent sizes. I'm thinking of the 33 (any info much appreciated) and they do a 44 as well.
OP Phil1919 07 Mar 2012
In reply to fernie: Interesting that. I went back into the shop for another look today and thought they have a lot of substance to them. I like the design of the compression side straps for example. Some of the brighter sacks were big on style, most were too short for me in any event.
 NicholasHart 07 Mar 2012
In reply to bluebealach:

I've had a talon 33 for about four years, and its taking an absolute hammering in that time.I work in the outdoor industry, and use it near enough every day, and have used it on some extended trips too.

My only criticism is that with a full sport rack (including rope), and lunch/drink etc the shoulder straps tend to deform slightly and pull a bit thin, causing them to dig in a bit over a long walk in.

This is probably due to the fact they are super light weight, so it's all a bit of a compromise really.

Over all, I love it, but wouldn't dream of putting a trad rack/rope in it and doing a long walk in!

Hope that helps

Nick
 Ross B 07 Mar 2012
In reply to bluebealach: I have had the 33 for a few years and consider it a great pack, light and normally confortable.

The only down side is that to make it so light they dont have a rigid back, so you need to think a little when loading otherwise you will get the load sinking and digging in.

As a leader pack it is just about sufficent in size, I have also done over nighters with it no problem, how ever when I am just walking for myself now I have dropped to a Tallon 11, its a squeze but I can just get in what I need for a day walk.

Ross
 bluebealach 07 Mar 2012
In reply to NicholasHart: Nick/Ross thanks for that - helps immensely and certainly food for thought, Cheers Graham
 brokenbanjo 09 Mar 2012
In reply to NicholasHart:

I've got a Talon 33 and have had full Trad Rack and rope in it (as well as lunch etc) and it's done me fine. I guess it's personal preference, but for a day sack I cannot fault it. It gets use daily and I've had it for three years now and there is nothing wrong with it! A ver good piece of kit!
 Kemics 09 Mar 2012
In reply to Phil1919:

I've got the mutant 38 (though it's the large so probably comes in closer to 40)

I love it for the fact it's a as big or small as I want it to be. If i'm on a light day trip, can squeeze it down and seems small. But on long weekends I seem to always be able to squeeze more into it I've even climbed some route wearing it without too much trouble.

Takes a full rack, harness, shoes, ropes, sleeping bag and food.
OP Phil1919 12 Mar 2012
In reply to Kemics: Thanks for that. I bought mine last Thursday and have used it over the weekend. The long back is excellant. Its light, has good fastenings, comfortable back and carries enough for an overnighter. I've also seen a few of them about already on the hill.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...