UKC

Now I'm not really into skiing...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
What Goes Up 08 Mar 2012
...but I understand that some of you out there are. Thought you might enjoy this. Maybe not, I dunno - like I say, not really my bag but I thought it looked pretty slick.

youtube.com/watch?v=G5dOB3VSyC8&

jamesg85 08 Mar 2012
In reply to What Goes Up: incredible, thanks, one of the best skiing vids I've seen. What about the state of his skis though, ha ha
 ChrisJD 09 Mar 2012
In reply to What Goes Up:

Brilliant!
 Blinder 09 Mar 2012
In reply to What Goes Up: that is just one chapter of the complet film which is brillaint. Have to admit this is the best section in my O.
 Boogs 09 Mar 2012

JP Auclair & the crew have truly exceptional skills , talent and vision . A compact masterpiece of creativity .
 Tiberius 09 Mar 2012

Never really understood why skiers want to pretend to be snowborders tbh, just get a snowboard?

Still it's not as bad as some of the early snowboarders in lycra racing downhill pretending to be a skier.
 Boogs 09 Mar 2012
In reply to Tiberius:

Would that include a person who owns both skis & a snowboard Tiberius ? Or must one choose and fit into a certain box ? just curious .

Should I label myself a sport climber too ? as I've not got much trad gear yet ?Oh and I do a bit of bouldering too. Ahh brain ache.

And what about my bikes , if I've got a downhill rig , jump bike , bmx & a road bike what should I label myself ? I'm confused I really don't know what I am or should be sometimes , must learn to comply & fit in the boxes . . .

;0)
Bobz 09 Mar 2012
In reply to Tiberius: they are different things. im not trying to be anything like a snowboarder - I've tried and I cant do it - I like to do my jumping on skis. I'm firmly in the ski box, I even labelled it myself!
 deepstar 09 Mar 2012
In reply to jamesgreenfield:
> What about the state of his skis though, ha ha

I think he is catching the bus at the end to put his mate`s ski`s back before he finds out.
 AndyB123 09 Mar 2012
In reply to What Goes Up: Thanks for sharing that, probably the best ski clip i've seen, if only for its originality.
 Tiberius 09 Mar 2012
In reply to AndyB123:
> ...if only for its originality.

What's original about it? It's a series of tricks that snowboarders have been performing for at least the past 10 years. The're wasn't a single original item in the clip.

I don't really mind skiers, in fact I have a pair myself and often spend a couple of days a year on them, but don't try and make a series of jaded trick try to sound original. It's ok, there's nothing wrong with the vid, but it's not very exciting is it?
 Tiberius 09 Mar 2012
In reply to boogie man:
> Would that include a person who owns both skis & a snowboard Tiberius

No, it's simply a comment on someone putting up a vid of skiers performing decade old tricks as if it was somehow new. If I put up a vid of snowboarders doing slalom I'd expect a skier to make fun of me, seriously, but you don't expect me to make fun of this? Go figure.
 AndyB123 09 Mar 2012
In reply to Tiberius: For me, the clip wasn't about the tricks, it was about the fluidity of motion, it certainly wasn't about some bragging rights between skiers and snowboarders. To me it made no difference whether the guy was on skis or a snowboard, the originality was in the rapidly thawing conditions in a suburban setting. The climax of the trick at the end was sublime, the lcd soundsystem sound track was nearly perfect.
Who gives a hoot what you thought, I really enjoyed it.

pneame 09 Mar 2012
In reply to Tiberius:
It's much more than that! It's skiing in a gritty, working class neighbourhood, catching the bus to the top, not giving a damn about the "look at me" aspect of skiing.

And let's not forget the absolutely stunning photography. With the nice sound track. All-in-all, an original and class production.
What Goes Up 09 Mar 2012
In reply to Tiberius: I just put it up because it's a beautiful looking video. Really not fussed about whether someone else has done the tricks and blah blah blah. Just enjoyed it, that's all. For me it's a little piece of art, wonderfully shot, fantastically timed to the music. Chill out brother.
 woolsack 09 Mar 2012
In reply to Tiberius:
> (In reply to AndyB123)
> [...]
>
> What's original about it? It's a series of tricks that snowboarders have been performing for at least the past 10 years. The're wasn't a single original item in the clip.
>

Gosh, your cup is a bit half empty isn't it?

OP Anonymous 10 Mar 2012

posted a while back but worth revisiting. It's a great segment from an average ski film tbh. My main complaint was there was too much in the way of montages and hippy dippy global warming scaremongering and not enough skiing.

Morgan Woods from Seoul Airport
 Goucho 10 Mar 2012
In reply to Tiberius: Jesus, these are the comments of someone who needs to get laid more often!!!

It's a great vid, original, simple and beautifully shot without being pretentious - and great skiing too.
 ClimberEd 10 Mar 2012
In reply to Tiberius:
> (In reply to AndyB123)
> [...]
>
> What's original about it?

The location and the way it is shot.

End of.

Robert Durran 10 Mar 2012
In reply to ClimberEd:
> (In reply to Tiberius)
> The location and the way it is shot.....

.....is precisely what makes it so irritatingly pretentious.

Tiberius 10 Mar 2012
In reply to ClimberEd:
> The location and the way it is shot.

eh? There's absolutely nothing original about it. As I said in my original post it's all been done in snowboard video's 10 years ago.

> End of.

End of what?
 Tiberius 10 Mar 2012
In reply to woolsack:

> Gosh, your cup is a bit half empty isn't it?

Not really, it's ok, I don't have a problem with it, but I would't try to pretend it was original or in any way ground-breaking. It's an ok film of some 10 year old tricks.

As for skiing/snowboarding, I've said many times before, if you're tall, ski, if you're short, snowboard, it really is that simple. But, snowboarders dressed in lycra doing slalom are justifiably laughed at (I do myself), so why would skiers pretending to be snowboarders not expect the same treatment?
 woolsack 10 Mar 2012
In reply to Tiberius: The guys on the film are probably ex snow boarders who realised that it is w*nk and bought skis. Maybe they got fed up of falling off of lifts and having to walk on the flat bits.

Who knows, someday you may see the light and realise two planks are better than one
 kevin stephens 10 Mar 2012
In reply to Tiberius: You posts just reinforce my prejudice that snowboarders are only interested in tricks ignoring the grandeur of the environment in which they are travelling
 Tiberius 10 Mar 2012
In reply to woolsack:
> Who knows, someday you may see the light and realise two planks are better than one

Actually I was a skier long before I was a snowboarder. Snowboarding is a low centre of gravity sport, it suits smaller people. Tall people look silly on a snowboard weras they can look elegant on skis.
 Tiberius 10 Mar 2012
In reply to kevin stephens:
> ...snowboarders are only interested in tricks ignoring the grandeur of the environment in which they are travelling

hmm, but we travel at half the speed of skiers, and we stand sideways so that we can take in the environment more. Skiers just head down the slope as fast as they can, generally they have no time to take the grandeur in.

We also tend to look at the topography in order to do trick on it. Skiers mostly just blast down the piste. Take a look on the slopes, I think you'll find the proportions are around 60% skiers on the piste, but look off it and you'll probably find nearer 80% are snowboarders
 kevin stephens 10 Mar 2012
In reply to Tiberius:
What's all this "piste" stuff? Plenty of time to take in the view when skinning uphill, unlike snowboarders stumbling between post holes on the rare occasion they venture away from the crowds
 woolsack 11 Mar 2012
In reply to What Goes Up: I've mostly noticed snowboarders sat on their arses in the middle of the piste or side slipping a big stripe down the steep bits
 JuneBob 11 Mar 2012
In reply to Tiberius:
Some bizarre comments about skiing vs. snowboarding I think.
They've both influenced each other and evolved to what they are now. Glen Plake and his buddies were doing some pretty sweet tricks before snowboarding became mainstream.

As for the 'originality' of the clip, I guess you think Danny MacAskill's videos are average because there's lots of other guys who can do bike stunts as well?
 ChrisJD 11 Mar 2012
In reply to JuneBob:

> Some bizarre comments about skiing vs. snowboarding I think.

They sure are. All very childish!

And 'Tiberius' obviously thinks very highly of himself, as you could easily guess from his username.
 Andrew Smith 11 Mar 2012
In reply to woolsack: That will be me then, sat on my arse, watching some ski person go past me carving moguls in a snow plough mode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! from the top to the bottom. Same thing.......Tit

PS...The clip was rubbish, it was badly edited, flashed from clip to clip, and was hard to watch..

I am a snowboarder,, go away with ski people, and we love each other.

Get a life.

woolsack 11 Mar 2012
In reply to Andrew Smith: Chill, I was simply working Tiberius up into a lather or is that no longer allowed here?
 tobykeep 11 Mar 2012
I liked it!

Not going to tell you if I ski or board!
 Tiberius 12 Mar 2012
In reply to woolsack:
> I was simply working Tiberius up into a lather or is that no longer allowed here?

I think it's in the constitution actually, but tbh I thought you lot were gettign more rabid, I mean what do you call raving about some pretty lame tricks? At least I get excited about something that's worth it.

Try this:

http://www2.cs.uregina.ca/~bernatja/crowsfoot.html
 Tiberius 12 Mar 2012
In reply to JuneBob:
> ...I guess you think Danny MacAskill's videos are average because there's lots of other guys who can do bike stunts as well?

Not at all, Danny does some epic stunts and does them with style. As I said before, this vid was an ok execution of some 10 year old tricks.

As I said, it's a bit like putting a snowboarder in lycra and watching him slalom. Why would you post links to it and claim that it's good? Ok, might be funny, but not quality.
 galpinos 12 Mar 2012
In reply to all:

I’m baffled that this skier/snowboarder thing still exists. There are many skiers who are park rats and snowboarders who live for free riding and have never pulled a trick in their lives and vice versa. Who cares, live and let live.

Personally, as a skier, I think skiing tricks look far more impressive and interesting than boarding as you can make great shapes with two skis. Snowboard tricks look a bit dull to me. However, I’m sure to many spinning around with two stick stuck out at funny angles can look messy and anaesthetic.

One thing I don’t get is rails but then I’m over 30……
 James Smith 12 Mar 2012

im shocked and appalled. just because there is a superficial dusting of snow he thinks he can go round scratching up all the paths and permenantly damaging them?? What about future generations of people who might want to walk on these paths?

some people are just ignorant.
 Tiberius 12 Mar 2012
In reply to galpinos:
> I’m baffled that this skier/snowboarder thing still exists.

You're baffled? Dude it will always exist, exactly as trad/sport will always exist. Humans define themselves by their differences, not their similarities.
 ClimberEd 12 Mar 2012
In reply to Tiberius:
> (In reply to JuneBob)
> [...]
>
> As I said before, this vid was an ok execution of some 10 year old tricks.
>

And once again you will be missing the point entirely.

This segment is nothing to do with the difficult of the tricks and all to do with the location and the way it is shot.

If you don't realise this then you are being really stupid, and if you do and still wish to be argumentative then get a life.

woolsack 12 Mar 2012
In reply to ClimberEd: I'd be very surprised if my 10 year old started doing those tricks
 Tiberius 12 Mar 2012
In reply to ClimberEd:
> This segment is nothing to do with the difficult of the tricks and all to do with the location and the way it is shot.

No, I think you're missing my point. I don't mean trick in the sense of backside 360, cab 5, 50/50 etc, I mean trick as in using street furniture.

Riding down streets, using handrails etc. All done to death 10 years ago in snowboarding vids. As I said and keep saying, nothing wrong with the vid, just don't pretend it's original. Take a look at something as basic as Standing Sideways. The most cheaply produced snowboarding vid out there, largely shot by damo on a handheld camcorder. It includes section of several members of the Halifax crew riding down street rails...and it's about 10 years old now.

btw, it also includes skiers doing things similar to this vid...but 10 years ago

Do you really think the locatio of this vid is unique? Where have you been for the past 10 years?
 Henry Iddon 12 Mar 2012
In reply to Tiberius:

A few points -

I think its safe to say the first snowsports tricksters were 70's hot dog skiers. I even remember a session in Cairngorm about 1978?

youtube.com/watch?v=j3q4hRBKGKE&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkdLK8hI0jU&feature=related

A great ski film that featuring a 9 year old urban skiing to school ( alas only a tiny bit in the clip)

youtube.com/watch?v=TMdlSQjDIkY&

Oh and for the record girls do tricks as well - I was involved with the filming of Dropstitch the worlds first all girl snowboard movie - that yes contained urban riding.

youtube.com/watch?v=TMdlSQjDIkY&

All.I.Can is great film but the genre is getting full of greta films which are all slowly becoming a cliche. Personally I'm a fan of Nick Waggoner's work - as I know it comes from the heart not from a brand manager.

Signatures -

vimeo.com/5944026

ClimberEd 12 Mar 2012
In reply to Tiberius:

It's the continuity of the location and length of it, rather than the fact that street furniture is being used.
 Tiberius 12 Mar 2012
In reply to Henry Iddon:
> ...I was involved with the filming of Dropstitch the worlds first all girl snowboard movie - that yes contained urban riding.

I have it, good film. Always good to watch people's reaction to the girl with her lip split in two (sorry can't remember her name and don't have the time to look it up).
 DaveHK 12 Mar 2012
In reply to Tiberius:
> (In reply to galpinos)
> [...]
>
> Humans define themselves by their differences, not their similarities.

Not all humans, just the ones who aren't like me.
In reply to What Goes Up: That's a beautiful thing, thanks for sharing. Bo)
 Cuthbert 13 Mar 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

Have you seen Dave Kerr recently? He was asking after you.
 HeMa 13 Mar 2012
In reply to general bickery in this thread:

Blah, blah, blah... my shite smells better than yours...

More blah, nope mine does. And so on.

It's all good. And All.I.Can was a good flick. And to see JP do that after his big crash in 2003 and being pretty much paralized is even more awesome...

BTW. Just this Xmas I watched a ski-flick from the early 40s in US (US Army Winter Training material)... The guys were doing tricks already then on teles... So snowboards and (alpine) skiers are pretty late in the game.
 Guy 13 Mar 2012
In reply to What Goes Up: Time to do a snowblading movie and upset everyone I think.
 Tiberius 13 Mar 2012
In reply to HeMa:
> (In reply to general bickery in this thread)
>
> Blah, blah, blah... my shite smells better than yours...
>
> More blah, nope mine does. And so on.

Not really sure what you're picking up on tbh, nowbody has said it's crap. I've probably been the most critical about it and I've said it's ok, I just pointed out that it's not original as some people seem to think...and as you now say yourself.

As I said, nothing wrong with it, it's ok, but it's not in any way original or groundbreaking.
 Max factor 13 Mar 2012
In reply to Tiberius:

I thought it was better than OK, in terms of the way it was shot, the editing, the matching to the soundtrack. Nice little concept expertly delivered and that must have taken no small effort.

Sure the tricks may not be cutting edge, but that's not really the point is it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...