UKC

Your best summit camp?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jc545staffy 09 Mar 2012
I recently camped up on pen y fan (surprisingly quiet)(Although i was packed and fed before 5.30).
It rained late into the night, i love to hear the rain in a warm tent and in the morning the sunrise was fantastic, great couple of days topped off with this peak view and experience. Just wondering what some of your fav mountain Summit camps were?
 bluebealach 09 Mar 2012
In reply to jc545staffy: Just a few meters below the summit of Derry Cairngorm. A glorious late afternoon walk to the summit but got benighted when the weather changed suddenly before I got to Loch Etchachan where I had planned to wild camp.

Hunkered down the tent and spent a wild night (high wind and squally showers) and up every hour checking the pegs.

Morning brought a still dry day but I was left with the feeling of having braved a taste of what the Gorms can suddenly throw you.

OR

50th birthday spent on summit of Carn Ghluasaid. My first 'real' wild camp (late starter) but perfect warm early autumn night and a great inversion to wake up to.

I expect that we all have many 'best' summit camps.....
 wilkie14c 09 Mar 2012
In reply to jc545staffy:
On the edge of the cantilever stone!
 wilkie14c 09 Mar 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
sorry, thought the title said crap
 IainMunro 09 Mar 2012
 Ricky Martin 09 Mar 2012
In reply to jc545staffy: Snow hole just below the summit of the Sadle after doing the forcan ridge. was a good day out.
 Alex Slipchuk 09 Mar 2012
In reply to jc545staffy: last Saturday night. Walked up beinn trilleachan in the evening, dark wet and windy. Pitched tent on summit ridge. Dozed off in the windy wet noise, woke up in the dark morning to the call of nature and got a nice wee dump of snow on my coupon when i opened the tent door. Summits sunshine and snow. Ye Can't beat it
 muttley_109 09 Mar 2012
 dan bulman 09 Mar 2012
skiddaw bivvy tucked into the shelter by the trig point. sunsett over the irish sea, sunrise over the pennines.
nonymouse 09 Mar 2012
In reply to blanchie14c: Dirty bugger
 martinph78 10 Mar 2012
In reply to jc545staffy: I've bivied in the holes amongst the rocks on top of Goat Fell on Arran. That was unusual, though the walk north along the ridge in the morning mist was memorable.

T.
 kwoods 11 Mar 2012
In reply to munri: Thought your Macdui summit camp was the people I saw doing so this January! I was up there with clear skies, inversions in valleys, the works and some lucky *****s were camping!

My best though was maybe Beinn Dorain, camped on a lip of grass near the cairn.
 FrankBooth 11 Mar 2012
In reply to jc545staffy:
bivvy bag on Pen Yr Ole Wen in middle of summer - fantastic dawn the next day
 oor wullie 11 Mar 2012
In reply to jc545staffy:
Carn an Righ, after a hot sunny may day I decided to bivvy on the top with no gear any hardly any food. Couldn't sleep as it was so cold but that meant I was up with the dawn (4am ish) to get moving to try and warm up. When I got up there was a partial inversion, a layer of cloud hugging the countours of some of the hills, photos couldn't capture it properly as it was all moving. Looked like waterfalls of milk tumbling down the lee slopes.
If I hadn't been forced to get up so early by the freezing cold I would have missed it as the sun had burned it all off by 7am.
 victorclimber 11 Mar 2012
In reply to jc545staffy: spent two nights up on the Cuillin Ridge in heatwave conditions superb ...
 Flinticus 12 Mar 2012
In reply to The Big Man:
Camped up there last June: brilliant. Hard to say if it was my best: Stob Dubh in July was magic too.

Beinn Each in June 2010 was the first proper summit camp. I think I was about 10 ft from the cairn. Another great night.

So looking forward to the weather improving and the days lengthening and getting back up with the tent (can't be bothered with long nights under canvas).
In reply to jc545staffy:

One Easter many years ago I camped on top of the frozen lochain on the summit of Ben Alder. The sun set perfectly behind Ben Nevis. One of those special moments that make it all worthwhile.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...