UKC

best sleeping mat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 buzby 11 Mar 2012
looking for a recommendation for a comfy sleeping mat,as im starting to get on in years and the bones creak a lot now im interested in comfort more than weight or price.
id rather humph something a bit heavier and get a decent nights kip than go light and toss and turn all night,not worried about price for the same reason.
at the moment ive got a 15 year old thermarest so not much idea how things have improved over the years.
thanks.
 Graham T 11 Mar 2012
In reply to buzby:
For me the most comfortable mat I have found is the Exped down mat 9.
9 cm thick and retains a lot of heat.
And doesn't weigh a huge amount too.
 ben b 11 Mar 2012
In reply to Graham T: Agree: Exped down mats were the only thing that got my wife back in a tent!
The other thing that helps us creaky folk when going luxury camping is a good old fashioned pillow, but saying so in public would clearly be impossibly embarrassing.
b

ablackett 11 Mar 2012
In reply to buzby:

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16721&...

Alpkit Dozer would fit the bill, 7.5cm thick - you would have to have some serious pointy bits to hit the floor through that.

Hannes 11 Mar 2012
In reply to buzby: If you carry it ever get a Thermarest prolite plus, if you don't carry it get one of the exped down mats like the others said.

What thickness is your current thermarest? Inch or inch and a half?
OP buzby 11 Mar 2012
In reply to Hannes: thanks for the replies, yep it will be carried, ive got my car camping kit sorted so its for backpacking and the occasional overnight bivvy.
im trying to save weight on other items so i can enjoy the luxury of somethig soft and comfy to crash on plus im a fairly big bloke so a heavier pack dosent bother me too much.
OP buzby 11 Mar 2012
In reply to buzby: should have mentioned it will be for three season use only,cant forsee any camping on snow in the near future.
 gethin_allen 11 Mar 2012
In reply to buzby:
If you just want to add that bit more comfort adding a really thin closed cell foam mat on top of a thermarest does quite a lot.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...