UKC

THE LOWDOWN: VIDEO: 76 V-points in a day by Woods

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Daniel Woods, 4 kbRecently, Daniel Woods won the Hueco Rock Rodeo at Hueco Tanks, TX, by collecting 76 V-points for his 6 hardest boulders that day.
If you are unsure about how to get 76 V-points, it's rather simple, at least in theory.
All you need to do is to do two V14s (8B+), one V13 (8B), two V12s (8A+) and a...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=66964
 PeterJuggler 13 Mar 2012
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: How many of them had he climbed previously?
 efrance24234 13 Mar 2012
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: or just do 76 v1s... not that hard really.
 lithos 13 Mar 2012
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC:

76 = 6 hardest problems, how many others did he do on the day and therefore how many Vs?
 Ian Broome 13 Mar 2012
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: Seems odd at such a sensative area as Hueco do have a rock rodeo / circus? All a looks a bit hypocritical if you give permission to have a festival with hundreds of punters then make everyone take a guide around with them at set times the rest of the time. I've never been so don't fully get the details of the guide system, or whether this festival was at a different site etc. All looks a bit odd.

I remember seeing an outdoor comp at Castle Hill thinking this is limestone bouldering, do you want this place to be Raven tor in five minutes?!
 owensum 14 Mar 2012

I think what theyre doing is empowering the climbing community in texas. Honestly, the system is against them- and admittedly, the climbers have been at fault in the past. I think this is an attempt to show that hueco matters a lot to a lot of people.

As for daniel woods performance, I think this has crystallized the status quo for me.. there is no doubt that the level of the sport has risen in the last 5 yrs, and continues to break new ground.

The fact that mccoll flashed nagual (v13) and still came 3rd puts this into perspective I think...
 Arms Cliff 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Ian Broome: There is still guides during the Rock Rodeo, and the money raised from entry fees goes to the park. http://melissastrong.lt11.com/2012/03/08/19th-annual-rock-rodeo/
 Michael Gordon 14 Mar 2012
In reply to efrance24234:

yep or 38 V2s - even I could manage that!
 Arms Cliff 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Michael Gordon: Doing 38 V2's or 76 V1's would give you scores of 12 and 6 respectively.
 diddler 14 Mar 2012

Pretty incredible effort in my opinion.
In reply to PeterJuggler: All of them apparently... Which surely makes a mockery of the 'competition' aspect?
I thought "points" where 8a.nu's Jens' obsession. Very well.
Removed User 16 Mar 2012
In reply to Duncan Campbell:

It's just a different type of competition. The Rock Rodeo would be pretty quiet if you could only participate if you'd never before attempted the problems.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...