UKC

My big fat gypsy wedding

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 14 Mar 2012
I was forced to watch this for the first time last night and I have one question?

Is this for real?
In reply to The Lemming:
Yep.
I will warn you its car crash TV I cant help my self but watch it
 Alyson 14 Mar 2012
In reply to The Lemming: It's about as 'real' as any other 'reality' television, ie not very.
 Milesy 14 Mar 2012
It is all very clevery edited to contain just the right amount of crap you make you think they are all like that.
Paul F 14 Mar 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Some elements, but it's a bit like watching a Dan Osman video and thinking thats what all climbers are like.
OP The Lemming 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Milesy:
> It is all very clevery edited to contain just the right amount of crap you make you think they are all like that.

Funny you should say that because I met some travellers last week with the broadest of southern Irish accents. When I asked them where they were from I was stunned to find that they came from Bradford. They had never been to the Emerald Isle in their lives but you would be forgiven for thinking that they were born and raised just outside Dublin.

Go figure.
OP The Lemming 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Paul F:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> Some elements, but it's a bit like watching a Dan Osman video and thinking thats what all climbers are like.

Here's a clip from last night

http://to.ly/crmp
 dunc56 14 Mar 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to Paul F)
> [...]
>
> Here's a clip from last night
>
> http://to.ly/crmp

OK, you got me
Paul F 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Milesy:
> It is all very clevery edited to contain just the right amount of crap you make you think they are all like that.

It's in it's second series, so i think it does portray an accurate portrait of SOME irish travellers, otherwise they wouldn't have signed up for another series.

..and Lemming, i'm not clicking on that!
 Milesy 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Paul F:
> It's in it's second series, so i think it does portray an accurate portrait of SOME irish travellers, otherwise they wouldn't have signed up for another series.

Yes some but they pedal it to be representative of the full community which does not help them.

I watched 3 series of Ibiza Uncovered in the 90s only to get there to see that it was not like that. Clever editing and decieving.
Paul F 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Milesy:

I refer you to my first post.
Paul F 14 Mar 2012
 Tall Clare 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Paul F:

I read that with a raised eyebrow.
 dunc56 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Milesy:
> (In reply to Paul F)
> [...]
>
> Yes some but they pedal it to be representative of the full community which does not help them.
>
> I watched 3 series of Ibiza Uncovered in the 90s only to get there to see that it was not like that. Clever editing and decieving.

You;re just bitter cos you didn;t get laid.
Paul F 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Only one?
 Tall Clare 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Paul F:

I'm slightly (!) affected, remember.
 Sir Chasm 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Paul F)
>
> I read that with a raised eyebrow.

That'll be because you're blinkered and prejudiced.
 Tall Clare 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Sir Chasm:

Probably. Aren't we all, mind...
In reply to Tall Clare:
I kinda get the feeling this guy hasn't really watched the program properly they did discuss how some kids stay in school and some leaving and they have shown some romani travelers as well as the irish ones and you could see a differnece in the way they lived and dressed.
he talks like the whole thing is a work of fiction, ok it may not be the most balanced picture but I'm fairly sure that channel four didn't just commision dresses and get fake brides to stage weddings so there must be gypsies out there having this stuff.
 Ridge 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Paul F:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
>
> …and intersted in C4's response. http://www.channel4.com/4viewers/editors-blog/an-open-letter-to-pipogypopot...

I wonder if he managed to stop sniggering whilst he typed that.
 The New NickB 14 Mar 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

I have never seen more than 30 seconds of the programme, but I have seen a few traveller wedding receptions, as a rugby club I have loose links with welcomes them with open arms. They tend not to look too much like the ones on the telly.
 Yanis Nayu 16 Mar 2012
In reply to The New NickB: The only gypsy wedding I've seen was similar to that shown on the programme. All the blokes were dressed like Boss Hogg from the Dukes of Hazard!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...