UKC

Lewis/ Harris Guidebooks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 isi_o 27 Mar 2012
So... I've been taking quite a few trips to Lewis recently and am anticipating more to come over the summer. It'd be great to find out more about the climbing there. I've got a copy of the Latter guide, which is the only thing in print that I can track down that has any coverage. Are there any other guidebooks out there that I've not found - homespun or otherwise? It seems to me that there is a lot more good rock to play on than is detailed at present... Which leads me to wonder what there is still in terms of potential for new routes at amenable grades... Anyone know what the current SMC plan is for the Hebrides? Are they to be incorporated with one of the other guides as the new ones come out? Also, if anyone has a copy of the old Skye & Hebrides SMC guide they might be prepared to loan me, please let me know!
Cheers,
Isi
 Toby S 27 Mar 2012
In reply to isi_o:

I think I have a copy of the Skye/Hebrides guide somewhere. I'll have a wee look when I get home.

There's certainly plenty to play on, especially on the West Coast. If you head over to Uig and Valtos you should find loads to do. I grew up in Ness and Point and used to muck about on the sea cliffs, I seem to recall there being plenty of things of reasonable grades that you could play on. Loads of bouldering too, again on the West Side (of Lewis) which is generally a wee bit easier to access.
 Robert Durran 27 Mar 2012
In reply to isi_o:

The Latter guides are by far the most comprehensive. The current SMC guide is very out of date with much less in it and probably not worth buying if you have the Latter one. A new SMC guide is in the pipeline (a volume covering Harris and Lewis I believe) and will be a revelatory bumper thing I imagine! I think I am probably right in saying it won't be available for this summer though unfortunatrly. The west coast of Lewis is a paradise of climbing with lots even at modest grades.
 Sherlock 27 Mar 2012
In reply to isi_o:
Also loads of stuff in old SMC Journal New Route section.E mail me if you're stuck.
OP isi_o 27 Mar 2012
In reply to isi_o:
Cheers folks. Pretty much what I thought, but always worth checking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...