UKC

BMC Tremadog Festival 2012

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Martin Kocsis, BMC 02 Apr 2012
Like climbing at Tremadog? Want to put something back into the climbing there? Fancy some beer and cake? Then make a date for Tremfest 2012: when you can help the BMC by volunteering to help give Craig Bwlch y Moch a good spring clean.

TremFest 2012 is going to be over the weekend of 21-22nd April. The weekend will be based at Eric’s Campsite below the crag, and starts at 10am on the Saturday. Mike Raine (who was the original TremFest pioneer) stepped down from the role a couple of years ago, but now the dynamic duo of Jim and Julia Kelly have stepped forward to take on the task.

Everyone is welcome to join in the fun. Cakes and beer will be provided for everyone who comes along and gets stuck in. If you have tools of your own (gloves, bow saws, secateurs, patio knives etc) then please bring them along.

Full details here:
http://www.thebmc.co.uk/tremfest-2012
In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC: Hi Martin, I live up the road in caernarfon and will def. come down on one or both days to give a hand. I have ordered some good weather to be delivered!
Martin Kocsis, BMC 12 Apr 2012
In reply to higherclimbingwales: That's terribly kind of you. Send the midges to Llanberis, please.
Martin Kocsis, BMC 16 Apr 2012
In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC: Weather looking good for this weekend, see you there?
 mhawk 16 Apr 2012
In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC: The misses and I are planning to head down. Do we need to register or just rock up with are tent?
Martin Kocsis, BMC 16 Apr 2012
In reply to rampantchopper: Just turn up, no pre booking needed.
Martin Kocsis, BMC 17 Apr 2012
Accommodation (bunkhouse and camping) is free to everyone who comes along and helps, but strictly on a first-come first-served basis. Contact Eric Jones cafe at Bwlch y Moch directly to book a space in the bunkhouse: 01766 512199.
 Elfyn Jones 19 Apr 2012
In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC:

Just a quick reminder for folks that this is on this weekend! Lots of work to do, free beer for those who do the work and free entry to a prize draw with awsome prizes to be won!

Elfyn Jones
BMC Access & Conservation Officer (Wales)
 Pencarth 19 Apr 2012
Sun is shining at the moment and the forecast for Trmadog area for next few days is good. Should be an excellent week end.
 SCC 19 Apr 2012
In reply to Pencarth:

Out of interest, where are you looking for that forecast?

Si
Cthulhu 19 Apr 2012
In reply to SCC:

Yeah, I'd like to know, too. BBC looks pants, so does Met Office!
Martin Kocsis, BMC 19 Apr 2012
In reply to Cthulhu: Try this one, super reliable.

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Wales/Portmadoc/

Anyway, if the weather's crap TremFest gives you something to do that is productive and meaningful; it's better than sitting on your big behind (no offence, I haven't actually seen it) drinking endless brews in Pete's/Eric's.

Now then!
Cthulhu 19 Apr 2012
> (In reply to Cthulhu) Try this one, super reliable.
>
> http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Wales/Portmadoc/

That looks suspiciously good...
>
> Anyway, if the weather's crap TremFest gives you something to do that is productive and meaningful; it's better than sitting on your big behind (no offence, I haven't actually seen it) drinking endless brews in Pete's/Eric's.
>

Oi! My behind is trim and pert, or so my OH tells me. I wouldn't be sitting in Pets's Eat, though, I'd stay in London revising for the week of exams which start on Monday...

SCC 19 Apr 2012
In reply to Cthulhu:
> (In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC)
> [...]
>
> I'd stay in London revising for the week of exams which start on Monday...

I thought it was you!!

Martin

If it was just up the road (or even just a couple of hours away) then I'd head up for sure - but the 6 hour drive each way and the fuel bill discourages me from heading up with such a generally poor forecast.

Good luck, I'm sure that as I've decided to stay home you'll have wonderful sunshine all weekend!!

Si

Martin Kocsis, BMC 19 Apr 2012
In reply to SCC: Fair play, 6 hours is a bit mad. If you really are the "weather Jonah" that you say you are, a nation salutes you for staying away.
 Pencarth 19 Apr 2012
In reply to SCC:
> (In reply to Pencarth)
>
> Out of interest, where are you looking for that forecast?
>
> Si

The met office and BBC Wales forecast for Porthmadog for Sat is for showers with a 20% chance of rain at 1pm. This 20% prediction is the same as for today but have just come back from Tremadog where I can assure you the crag was dry, the weather warm with glorious sunshine. The weather for Tremadog is completely different to the rest of Snowdonia. It can be raining heavily at Beddgelert which is only 3 miles away but bright sunshine at Tremadog. You might get a shower on Sat but the crag is in such good condition at the moment it will dry off very quickly.
 PontiusPirate 19 Apr 2012

I'll be "making do" with the local Heptonstall cleanup instead
We've got a good chance of getting wet everywhere this w/e: with light winds, if you get a shower (and they aren't orographic, so could turn up anywhere) you will get very wet... dress for the occasion!

I couldn't justify this excursion with sharing a car, the forecast means I can't get a share, so we'll be attacking 'eppy's wild undergrowth instead...

Good luck one and all - people's efforts were certainly showing when we were there a couple of weeks back.
Hopefully we can improve 'eppy enough for a few more people to make friends with the place

PP.
I've heard that there is a great evening talk and the speaker has even got prizes to give away to keep people from falling asleep...
Martin Kocsis, BMC 20 Apr 2012
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: As long as everyone gets a prize Tom. The forecast says showers in the morning, then sunshine all the rest of the time. Lovely. I'll get me beach hat.
In reply to doubting thomases: Current conditions at the crag are: sunshine, a gentle breeze, some egg & chip butties and a few brews.
In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC: What time is the evening talk? and who is the mystery guest? is it Eric Jones?!
In reply to higherclimbingwales: It'll be about 7pm, and it's the "Young Eric Jones", "Bangor's Answer to Ranulph Fiennes", "The Bravest Person in His House", even. Come along and see for yourself.
In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC: I'm unsure about these acolades, though he is certainly "Bangor's most proficient abseiler"! :-P

Is the old dog dry after all this rain?

Dunc
In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC: What time is it kicking off tomorrow. I have to wait for the missus to get home from her night shift.
what equipment do we need? I have bow saw, chainsaw, Secateurs and rakes. Climbing equipment?
Martin Kocsis, BMC 01 May 2012
In reply to just about everyone: Thanks to everyone who came along despite the occasionally dubious forecasts (depending on which website you used). Full report here: http://www.thebmc.co.uk/tremfest-2012-thank-you

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...