UKC

Snow Coming......will Scotland come back into condition?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anonymous 02 Apr 2012
In reply to Boulderdash86:

That there will be considerable local variation and that 'Scotland' is very unlikely to come into condition?
 rallymania 02 Apr 2012

... will 5 to 10 cm's of snow put scottish winter routes back into condition?

my view?

probably not, no
 Jamie B 02 Apr 2012

I suspect that some snowed-up rock routes will be fair game on tuesday an perhaps wednesday, but snow/ice build-up will get washed off by the weekend.
 French Erick 02 Apr 2012
In reply to Bou
Depends if you care about ethics and tradition.
However, someone desperate and possessing great knowledge of weather systems and venues is sure to find something climbable, perhaps even enjoyable but that would be a bonus...can't go asking for too much, can you?
Good luck if you try, though.
 wilkie14c 02 Apr 2012
In reply to French Erick:
Will Kinder Downfall be in? and will I need to take some screws to Pembroke next week?
 Jamie B 02 Apr 2012

I'm trying to find a partner for 'Gorms mixed on Wed - I think it's a goer.
 Jim Fraser 02 Apr 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:
> (In reply to Boulderdash86)
>
> I suspect that some snowed-up rock routes will be fair game on tuesday an perhaps wednesday, but snow/ice build-up will get washed off by the weekend.

Aye, for as long as it takes for the usual suspects to drive from Aviemore to the 'cas CP, walk in, skelp up a route and get back down. By the time they are looking out over the chocolate gateau and through the big windows in the Mountain Cafe it will be melting already.
 Billhook 02 Apr 2012
Clearly an optimists wishful thinking imho!
 French Erick 02 Apr 2012
In reply to Dave Perry:
I'm not sure... There's something in it if you can be bothered. I'm with Jim here. Sorry Jamie but not worth petrol money in my books at this stage. Hope you hook-up with someone though.
 sheeny 02 Apr 2012
In reply to Boulderdash86: No
 wercat 02 Apr 2012

No, but Cumbria is about to receive a dump followed by weeks of conditions that will add to the already decent winter and make it the best in memory

if you began climbing in 2003
 Billhook 02 Apr 2012
In reply to wercat:
April 1st was yesterday!!!!
 Ron Walker 02 Apr 2012
In reply to Dave Perry:
> (In reply to wercat)
> April 1st was yesterday!!!!

Snow outside my cottage and it's not April the 1st
 george mc 02 Apr 2012

Already digging my car out in preparation for the coming Ice Age Armageddon...

Axes all polished an sharp for that glistening ice that is forming right now, as I type.
 Milesy 02 Apr 2012
I have bought as much Milk and Tesco as possible from Tesco. That should last me a few months of this Snow Apocolypse.
 Lamb 02 Apr 2012
In reply to Boulderdash86: Something will be game for sure, we're doing our plod into Lochnagar on Wednesday for a looksie.
 CacCarnBeag 03 Apr 2012
In reply to Lamb: ditto
 Joak 03 Apr 2012
In reply to Milesy:
> I have bought as much Milk and Tesco as possible from Tesco. That should last me a few months of this Snow Apocolypse.

Aw naw, not more panic buying!!
 Siward 03 Apr 2012
In reply to Joak: More seriously, if venturing into the Mullardoch hills next week, Carn Eige etc, am I going to need axe and crampons?
 Jamie B 03 Apr 2012
In reply to Siward:

That depends whether the new snow consolidates or melts.
 george mc 03 Apr 2012

With temps in Aviemore of 11 degrees I'm going for melting. Want ma hot rock back!
 Jamie B 03 Apr 2012
In reply to george mc:

Me too, but if I get a belated bit of scratching in first it wouldnae be tragic...
 French Erick 03 Apr 2012
Is it not going to be buried? What's the wind like? Snowing in Glasgow the now...just flurries though.
 Captain Solo 03 Apr 2012
4" in my front garden here in Inverness.
Unfrozen turf and routes probably buried, stiff northeasterly.
I suspect Dave will be breaking out his skis again.
 Captain Solo 03 Apr 2012
In reply to Captain Solo:
> (In reply to French Erick)

> 4" in my front garden.

Finbar Saunders would have a field day with that.

Areteroute 03 Apr 2012
In reply to French Erick: Driving snow in Islay but not lying.......
 Jamie B 03 Apr 2012

> Is it not going to be buried? What's the wind like? Snowing in Glasgow the now...just flurries though.

Depending on aspect more likely to be wind-scoured. SCnL looking a bit black this morning. Dunno; will have a think and try to come up with something. Scant product this season so keen to restore a little balance!

Andy Nisbet 03 Apr 2012
In reply to Captain Solo:
> 4" in my front garden here in Inverness.

8 inches in my front garden in Boat of Garten
 Ron Walker 03 Apr 2012
In reply to Andy Nisbet:
25 cm on my garden table and deep cover in the forest!
 freudy_love 03 Apr 2012
In reply to Ron Walker:

There was a good firm 6 inches at least in my pants this morning, but even that has melted away already
 Mike Pescod 03 Apr 2012
Snow down to sea level in Fort William this morning - http://www.abacusmountaineering.com/currentconditions.html - the NE wind was blowing plumes of snow off Meall an t'Suidhe.

And I'm going rock climbing tomorrow!

Mike
 Lamb 05 Apr 2012
In reply to Boulderdash86: Just back in from a day in Lochnagar today. Slow going into the corrie this morning, a lot of snow has fallen, and the drifts are deep. We were 4 hours from the car till the time we started climbing today - and we were only climbing in the Southern Sector!
The corrie is well plastered, most plastered I have seen it this season, the North Easterlies have worked a treat. The turf aint quite there yet, but over the next couple days with the continued below zero temps, I think it will improve in time for the weekend. There is now a donkey track beaten up to the pap for anyone heading in over the next couple days.

Enjoy!
 Jamie B 05 Apr 2012
In reply to Lamb:

Good call; we went to Torridon which was a lot thinner.
 Studge 05 Apr 2012
In reply to Boulderdash8

Went up Raeburn's Easy Route with a friend yesterday evening after work. Beautiful neve and a glorious sunset.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...