UKC

Anyone got over ITBS in a couple of days, before?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Escher 02 Apr 2012
I had ITBS come on 50 miles into a bike ride on Saturday (I've put this in the runner's forum as it's more a runner's injury). I had 15 miles to cycle home from there and took it easy on the way back.

Iced it every two hours since, ibuprofen, stretching, foam roller, movelat, ultrasound and today I can't feel it at all. Yesterday it was very sore, hurt going up stairs, walking and was tender to the touch but not swollen. But today it feels fine. Walked for 10 minutes, felt nothing.

I've had it before in both knees, both times I had to walk on it a fair bit after doing it (twice at the beginning of Ice climbing trips and once on a trek in Nepal) so this is the first time I've given it proper TLC. Previous episodes lasted for months.

Anyone had the pain go so quick and should I risk exercising again just yet? Cheers
 Milesy 02 Apr 2012
In reply to Escher:

Yes. I can be literally crying walking up the stairs or sitting down in a chair and be absolutely perfect the next day.

Before the foam roller for me it is just one single exercise which totally melts it for me is you are in like the splits position but you bend the leg at the knee so it is 90 degrees to the rest of your body. If that makes sense. Several times doing that (I use read a book) and I feel brilliant. Foam roller for extra measure and if I am at the gym I have a blast on the vibroplate for a little while.
OP Escher 02 Apr 2012
In reply to Milesy: Cheers that's hopeful. I do that stretch quite a lot and just added a new one, lie on my back, ankle on one knee, then both hands on shin and lean back. Works a treat. Its the first time I've used a roller and that seems to have really done the trick. I think I'll give it a tentative try out tomorrow. I was getting quite despondent as I'm just getting into top fitness for spring. Previous episodes were months! There is hope, ta!
OP Escher 02 Apr 2012
In reply to Escher: Actually i may Have misread, not a stretch but an exercise. Will look into those as I need to strengthen for prevention. Ta
 Milesy 02 Apr 2012
Yeah it is a static stretch. If you are ever in a gym with a cable machine (or have a set of ankle weights) you can do some good exercises (dynamic stretches I guess). I put the cable arm to the ground and then step my foot into the loop and then starting from a standing position stretch my leg away to the side like a bridging position (hip abduction). You can also do adduction as well for balance. Works a treat.
 cus123 02 Apr 2012
In reply to Escher:

I remember having this before and one session of friction massage with the physio and it went away. Hurt like hell to begin with, but eased off after a few minutes.

I think usually this means a muscle imbalance, so your Vastus Medialis Obliques are not as strong as your outer leg muscles. I suggest preventative exercises such as single leg squats and lunges may help longer term, but a google search may prove useful.
dinkypen 09 Apr 2012
In reply to Escher:

Are you sure it is ITBS? I ask because you mention that you had it in both knees before and that isn't usually where ITB pain occurs.

I had a period of severe ITB problems a couple of years ago which made running downhill an impossibility. I resolved the issue by working on releasing the gluteus medias muscle and hip tightness generally through specific stretches. There are some great suggestions for releasing hip tightness on this site http://www.elevationoutdoors.com/blogs/tight-hips-9-yoga-poses-to-release-t... These days if I am out running and I feel the onset of ITB pain, I find that sideways running, crossing one leg over the other, drawing from the hip, helps to 'flush out' the ITB and prevent the pain from setting in.
 staceyjg 09 Apr 2012
In reply to Escher:

My ITBS also occurs quickly, usually when descending mountains or lots of stairs, and it's usually painful while descending then goes when I get back on the flat, However the last time I had it I had it for 2 days and was in agony, even whilst sleeping, my legs were killing me.

Stacey
C6n7p42 10 Apr 2012
In reply to Escher:

ITBS does go away but it doesn't mean that the problem has. I had it a few years ago and it would come on about 10 mins into a run. I would feel a twinge in my hip, then my knee and then a full on spasm and twisting sensation of the Iliotibial Band along the outside of my right thigh. The leg would then become unsupportive and i had to stop running. I could walk home fine and it wouldn't bother me until i started running again. that is one of the peculiar symptoms of this problem.

The advice you won't want to hear is that you'll need to stop exercising that particular area for 6-8 weeks minimum. the advanced cases of this involve cortisone injections and operations. You need to look at all aspects of how you are training and technique and try to find where the problem lies. With me it could have been too many hills, training twice a day, unsuitable footwear, running on one side of the road (uneven camber)etc. I rested modified all these and it has never returned thankfully. Good luck

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...