UKC

Improve Your Climbing By James McHaffie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 04 Apr 2012
James McHaffie onsighting Isis is Angry (E7), on Yellow Walls, Gogarth, 5 kbIn this article top climber James McHaffie gives us some hints and tips on ways to improve our climbing.

"I've worked with climbers on a regular basis over the last 10 years from novices to people who have been leading extremes for years and some key areas for quick improvements have been..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4555

Quarryboy 04 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC Articles:

Nice article, has definitely boosted my motivation, thanks very much.
 Skyfall 04 Apr 2012

Nice advertorial..

If I get to climb with Hazel, I'm in

More seriously, a good and to the point motivational checklist for the season.
 Jim Hamilton 04 Apr 2012

I'm not sure I agree with the premiss that everyone can be a great climber - "you can't put in what god left out"

Poolie 04 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC Articles:For anyone who has the cash go and get some expert advice from three of the best. Thanks Caff for a 'to the point' red, head or otherwise inspirer. johnny dawes c/o julie
 Kemics 04 Apr 2012
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

Possibly not be a 'great' climber but certainly a good one. And even regardless of level, you can improve and be a better climber and have more fun.

The only serious thing that could stop someone climbing is morbid obesity, but that's very fixable. Like he says, you just need the right goals. Other than that, i've never seen age, gender or body type (or even amputation!) stop someone climbing hard.

Essentially, doesn't matter what roll of the dice you get in this life, you can climb hard!
 Jim Hamilton 04 Apr 2012
In reply to Kemics:

but what is a "good" or "hard" climber, or even one who can climb "well" ?
 Fiend 04 Apr 2012

Good little piece - it's nice to see another improvement article that (despite the early number-crunching) avoids the shallow and distracting grade-chasing """advice""", and instead gives out some useful common sense tactics.
 Kemics 04 Apr 2012
In reply to Jim Hamilton:
> (In reply to Kemics)
>
> but what is a "good" or "hard" climber, or even one who can climb "well" ?
>

The one having the most fun?

What does "Good" mean. Well the dictionary offers -'Good' Adj: To be desired or approved of

I'd say in climbing money that's someone who climbs with good technique and tactics. Grade is fairly irrelevant, i've seen people climb HVS "well" and i've seen other people make a total horror show of it I imagine that goes for vdiff and E5 as well.
 Dave 88 04 Apr 2012

That picture of Gecko is incredible.
 mattrm 04 Apr 2012

Sods law says this has to clash with my only planned climbing trip for the year.
 lmarenzi 07 Apr 2012

Brilliant article.

Mostly about safety and how to increase it. Let's face it, most of us wobble up routes because our fear is not totally unjustified, be it sport, trad or bouldering (on ice/mixed no one is kidding themselves).

Over the long haul improved safety is what you need as a pre-requisite for improved climbing.
 climb the peak 10 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC Articles: James McHaffie, what a legend
 Monk 11 Apr 2012

Nice article. Well written and informative advice that applies to all levels.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...