UKC

NEWS: Dave MacLeod and Alan Cassidy on the BBC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 11 Apr 2012
Dave MacLeod on Ben Nevis, where he famously completed the hardest traditional rock climb in the world, the ungraded Echo Wall., 3 kbScottish climbers Dave MacLeod and Alan Cassidy are going to be on the BBC this Thursday.

"In an astonishing week, they attempt two innovative first ascents - one deep underground and the other in a huge cavern. This film follows them as they inch their way from darkness into light."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67036

pebbles 11 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: but only in scotland! and it doesnt seem possible to get scottish regional bbc (other than bbc alba which is the gaelic channel)on iplayer - I looked yesrerday and it weasnt listed among the channels
 Lankyman 11 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: I shall set the digi box. I wonder why they chose Jingling Pot? Rowten Pot nearby is a more impressive hole and I don't think that has been climbed out of either. A new line out of Gaping Gill would have been more spectacular even though a free route has already been done there.
In reply to pebbles: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01g89w3/The_Adventure_Show_2011_2012_...

don't search by channel on iplayer, search for the programme you want.

Dunc
In reply to UKC News:

If you have a Sky box (with or without viewing card) BBC 2 Scotland is on channel 990.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/info/channels_sky.shtml

(All the BBC regions are on there - very handy for checking out the weather forecast for far-flung parts of the country at 1855)
 Nick Ashwood 12 Apr 2012
In reply to pebbles: If you click on "TV Channels" on iPlayer, above the list of BBC channels, you can scroll through all the regional programmes.
Bellie 13 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: Excellent programme. Its so good (and getting rare) these days to watch programmes, which don't include a 'resume' and a 'what's coming up bit', every 10 minutes. Just one hour of fascinating climbing.
 Milesy 13 Apr 2012
In reply to nuclearnick:
> (In reply to pebbles) If you click on "TV Channels" on iPlayer, above the list of BBC channels, you can scroll through all the regional programmes.

Where? I have tried on both my iPad (dedicated app as well as browser) and also the PS3 and there is no regional programmes. You can not search by the name either.
 lynda 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Milesy: on PS3, you are going to have to search using the google browser for BBC iplayer scotland (put in adventure show). iplayer on PS3 only shows English programming.
 tony 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Milesy:

In IPlayer, search for "Adventure Show" and you'll get to
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01g89w3/The_Adventure_Show_2011_2012_...
 lithos 13 Apr 2012
In reply to tony:

i get there but cant watch it
 Nick Ashwood 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Milesy: Not sure about the iPad app or PS3 but you definitely can on the web-site.
 nightmonkeyuk 13 Apr 2012
In reply to tony:
Said it wasnt available last night....gutted.
 Simon Caldwell 13 Apr 2012
In reply to tony:
> In IPlayer, search for "Adventure Show" and you'll get to
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01g89w3/The_Adventure_Show_2011_2012_...

Still says "iPlayer - available soon after"
 geordiepie 13 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

I liked the bit that said:-

"routes like this are impossible to grade....they eventually settled on E35c"
 lithos 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Toreador:

available now
 jezb1 13 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: Interesting video
 Tradical 16 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: What a cracking great watch, thanks for posting this.
 JoshOvki 16 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Fantastic climbing! Alan let go of the dead rope and held the came down when giving out rope on the first pitch of the big cave mind. Tut tut Alan.

Inspiring stuff.
 Morgan Woods 16 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

As someone living outside the UK, can I just say FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU BBC!
 gethin_allen 16 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: glad to see that the BBC didn't shy away from telling the viewers the real name of the cave entrance.
 TobyA 16 Apr 2012
In reply to Morgan Woods:

> As someone living outside the UK, can I just say FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU BBC!

Don't they have an iPad app for the US at least now? I think its a sort of beta roll out for the international iplayer. There's nothing special about the BBC's position though, you can't watch Finnish national TV outside of the country, and if I remember right, you can't watch Aussie channels outside of Australia because my Aussie mate tried last time he was here.

There are various commercial services offering proxy server access to iplayer. Some are free but seem a bit wonky, I pay six quid a month and that service works very well, but you'll be wanting to watch BBC (or other UK channels) quite a lot to make it worthwhile I guess. Kids BBC programmes are so much better than Finnish, so that's the main reason why I pay. Would prefer to pay direct to the BBC though and not let a middle man make money from it.
skullgrid 16 Apr 2012
In reply to gethin_allen:
Just google: adventure show climbing pdtv
 Flinticus 16 Apr 2012
Caught the last minute of it. Gutted!
 biscuit 16 Apr 2012
In reply to TobyA:

Ex pat shield.

Problem solved.

Make sure you keep it turned off during normal use though or you get a lot of pop ups/ads.
 Morgan Woods 18 Apr 2012
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Morgan Woods)
>
> [...]
>
you can't watch Finnish national TV outside of the country,

damn those Finns too! And yes I have looked in to a few free proxy services but they seem pretty crap and it's not worth it for me to sign up to a paid monthly service for the odd thing on iplayer. I can understand the BBC trying to protect their revenue streams, but for stuff like this which will never be sold os, it just doesn't make sense. And yes, i think the ABC are at it too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...