UKC

Windy Clough or Thorn Crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben Stokes Global Crag Moderator 12 Apr 2012
If you had a spare day whilst in the neighbourhood of Preston / Blackpool where would you go bouldering: Windy Clough or Thorn Crag?
 joe.91 12 Apr 2012
In reply to Ben Stokes: Thorn Crag, windy clough is a bit small (really really small) and you'll have much more to do up at Thorn. Also the quality of the problems/routes are much higher as well.
 butterworthtom 12 Apr 2012
In reply to Ben Stokes:
Thorn crag
OP Ben Stokes Global Crag Moderator 12 Apr 2012
In reply to all:

Looks like a thumbs up for Thorn Crag. What is the walk in like - I am going with a non-climber - I don't want to pi55 them off too much.

Cheers.
 plyometrics 12 Apr 2012
In reply to Ben Stokes:

Windy cough is terrible compared to thorn.

Both aesthetically pleasing venues but IMHO thorn knocks spots of windy clough in every respect.

Walk in at thorn is about 15 mins up hill, but in a stunning location, assuming the clag isn't in.
 plyometrics 12 Apr 2012
In reply to plyometrics:

I can also confirm that windy clough is also worse than the aforementioned 'windy cough', which is never very pleasant....
 CBA 12 Apr 2012
In reply to Ben Stokes: The walk in's more like a half hour.Don't fall for this 15 minutes approach lark.Worth it though.
OP Ben Stokes Global Crag Moderator 12 Apr 2012
In reply to CBA:

OK Thorn Crag it is. I'll expect 1/2 hour for the walk in though. Is it a good path? I've heard reports that it's off piste straight up the side of a hill.

I've tried calling the Estate regarding the bird ban / shooting restrictions and the number on UKC doesn't get through to anyone - any ideas?
 CBA 12 Apr 2012
In reply to Ben Stokes: The path's a gravel track,which takes you pretty much to the most popular area,the Crag Boulders. Re shooting restrictions,I'm sure it's ok this time of year,but I couldn't say for sure nesting-wise.As far as I'm aware it's on CROW land with no access issues outside of grouse shooting season.
In reply to CBA:

Just make sure you park sensibly now that parking is more limited.
 steveriley 13 Apr 2012
Thorn Crag for sure. It's a nice area for a wander around Wrd's Stone, Clougha, etc, if that suits your mate.
 CBA 13 Apr 2012
In reply to bentley's biceps: Forgot to mention that...nice one.
OP Ben Stokes Global Crag Moderator 13 Apr 2012
In reply to CBA:

Personally I can't stand inconsiderate parking so you don't have to worry

Incidentally what are the parking 'arrangements' now? How quickly does it tend to fill on a beautiful day like this coming Sunday?
In reply to Ben Stokes:

You can't park on the right any more so you need to squeeze into the verge on the left or park before Tarbrook and walk.
OP Ben Stokes Global Crag Moderator 18 Apr 2012
In reply to all:

Thanks for all your recommendations. In the end I only had a couple of hours to spare so made a quick visit to Windy Clough (which from the topos looked quicker to get to). I had good fun at the NCFOM area and the outlook is great. If Thorn Crag knocks the socks off this area I can't wait!

Cheers, Ben

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...