UKC

Highlander Mountian Marathon - anyone else doing it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dnwsmith 13 Apr 2012
This si my first mountain marathon - and having seen teh forecast - i am scared!

having equipment chose issues - how much warm clothes do i need to take, down jacket or not to down jacket ( current thinking is yes)

wondering abotu my feet, if there is a load of snwo around my feet are going to get freezing my my inov8, but what is the alternative.

to take my balloon bed or my neoair and suffer the weight.

i had my kit list sorted out but this was for after i had made the assumptions in my head that it was going to be warm not winter conditions!

so who else is doing it?
 Simon Caldwell 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Dnwsmith:
I've had to pull out as my partner's got whooping cough

But if I were going I'd be taking a down jacket (for mid camp and to supplement sleeping bag). Sealskinz merino socks - even if there's no snow (which there almost certainly will be), there'll be icy wet ground. Full length sleeping mat (or balloon bed plus OMM mat from rucksack). And a reasonable sleeping bag (ie not my phd minimus).

I hadn't got as far as a decision about tent - but would probably go for something tiny as there's less air space to heat up - a larger more comfortable tent might end up being colder.
 Grahame N 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to Dnwsmith)
> I've had to pull out as my partner's got whooping cough
>
Me too. Sprained my ankle at the JK orienteering event on Sunday, so no Highlander for me this year.
Only 8 weeks till the LAMM though.

In reply to Grahame N:
Hope my partner's recovered in time, WC can last for months.
GL3D at the beginning of May, at least that's a solo event so I can doi it on my own
 Jimmy56 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Dnwsmith:

Lovely day in Wester Ross today, and the weekend should be fine too. Not much snow around, only above maybe 850m. Bit nippy in the wind.

But why is the Highlander being held round here for the third year in a row? - someone should point out there's more to the highlands than the north west

And for those who can't make it to Kinlochewe this weekend - there's always the Celtman in June ( http://www.cxtri.com/ ).

In reply to Jimmy56:
That's the Highlander's "USP" - April in the North West Highlands. Just like the Saunders is always July in the Lake District, LAMM is June in the Highlands, OMM is the end of October in some god-forsaken waste full of tussocks and bogs that nobody would ever think of going to otherwise.
 Simon Caldwell 16 Apr 2012
In reply to Dnwsmith:

So how did it go?
 Simon Caldwell 17 Apr 2012
In reply to Grahame N:
Sounds like a great weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...