UKC

Edelrid Shikra rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 saulward 14 Apr 2012
I went into a big outdoor retailer to buy a rope for climbing centre use and the guy sold me a Edelrid Shikra 50m, when I got it home I looked at the label and it says not recomended for indoor use. Is is ok for indoor climbing or is it not safe for some reason?
 Max factor 14 Apr 2012
In reply to saulward:

is it a half rope? i.e. does the sticker on the end of the rope have a cirle with a 1 in it or a 1/2 in in.

if it's the 2nd, which I think it is then poor form from the retailer. if it's a 1 then happy days
 dale1968 14 Apr 2012
In reply to saulward: they are half ropes, you need a single
 Max factor 14 Apr 2012
In reply to Max factor:

googled it and it is a half rope. don't unwrap it (if you haven't already). It's not optimal for indoor climbing, though it can be used.
 TobyA 14 Apr 2012
In reply to saulward:
> I went into a big outdoor retailer to buy a rope for climbing centre use and the guy sold me a Edelrid Shikra 50m,

If you made it clear you wanted it for indoor use and then some sales guy sold you a half rope, then the guy was being a dick. He should have known better, and if he didn't he should have checked with someone who did. I would take it straight back and, particularly if you're a beginner relying on their advice, I think you have a good case for being quite upset about this.

Learn the difference between rope types so you have a better idea of what you should get next time. Shop assistants should be there to help, but as you have found out here - you can't trust them all.
 TobyA 14 Apr 2012
In reply to Max factor:
> It's not optimal for indoor climbing, though it can be used.

Perhaps the biggest worry would be someone using it with a slick belay device designed for single ropes. An 8.5 being used as single and, say, an original BD ATC could easily lead to someone getting dropped.

OP saulward 14 Apr 2012
In reply to TobyA: I'll go and have a word with them tomorrow, thanks a lot
In reply to saulward: Take it straight back and ask to see the manager of the shop and explain what you where advised to buy. Whoever sold you that rope as a centre rope, deserves to loose their job!
In reply to Max factor: It's a half rope!!!!!! No it can not be used at a climbing wall!!!!!
 Max factor 17 Apr 2012
In reply to Cold Mountain Kit:

I've seen a fair few half ropes used in walls, no good reason it can't be used but obviously you should use it doubled over.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...