UKC

Rucsac zips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
the real slim shady 14 Apr 2012
I'm in the market for a new rucsac but many large rucsacs have zips at the bottom to improve access. Do these zips affect the strength of the pack?

Cheers
 BigHairyIan 14 Apr 2012
In reply to derek the dragon: personally I think that the zip at the bottom is a pain. And my kids often leave it open, and then lose stuff out of it! Grr.
 Darkskys 15 Apr 2012
In reply to derek the dragon: What size rucksack you looking at?
the real slim shady 15 Apr 2012
In reply to Darkskys: Vango sherpa 60-70 litre or similar. Mainly for D of E and walking trips
needvert 15 Apr 2012
In reply to derek the dragon:

One of mine has one (75lt?) the other doesn't (55lt). The 75lt also had a little compartment seperator flap you could zip up so the bottom and top of the pack were seperate.

Was never worth the extra weight, extra thing to fail, and extra place for water to get in.

I'd avoid them, but then I like simple lighter packs.
In reply to derek the dragon: I bought a Deuter Guide 45 specifically because it has a separate compartment at the bottom if you choose to use it that way. It's mainly for ice climbing and I like the idea that you can get your belay jacket out without the risk of pulling other items out with it. I have to admit to being a bit "anal" when it comes to storing kit and I hate having to empty a top loading sack in order to get to things at the bottom. I like my gear sorted and compartmentalised, I think it lessens the risk of losing things. My other sack is a panel loader which I find much more convenient for general use. I do own a simple top loading sack with no frills. It's very lightweight so I save it for Alpine situations where weight is an issue. Its' my least favourite rucksack but there is no doubt that it's light if a little uncomfortable when fully loaded.

Al
 marsbar 15 Apr 2012
In reply to derek the dragon: I like to be able to open the bottom to get stuff out without unpacking the whole thing. I haven't had a problem with the strength.
the real slim shady 15 Apr 2012
In reply to derek the dragon: Also if anyone could recommend a similarly priced and spec rucsac?
 jonnie3430 15 Apr 2012
> (In reply to Darkskys) Vango sherpa 60-70 litre or similar. Mainly for D of E and walking trips

I'd suggest having another look at the size of your pack, I used to use a 45 litre Berghaus Arete and now use a 38l Osprey Mutant for everything, up to 5 day solo mountaineering trips. I have the tent on the outside on one side and rollmat on the other. A lot of people buy the warmest sleeping bag they can find too, which takes up loads of room in a sack and is usually left half open. If you are going to carry clothes with you, why not wear them at night and take a lighter sleeping bag?

What I'm describing may be a bit different to how a DofE exped is run, you may want the extra clothes and space for other comforts?
 marsbar 15 Apr 2012
In reply to jonnie3430: I don't really follow your logic, tent inside the pack or out doesn't really save on weight. I would rather have a larger pack and more flexibility on packing it comfortably. Each to their own I guess.
 jonnie3430 15 Apr 2012
In reply to marsbar:

Sorry, I didn't make myself clearer! I have no use for a 50+litre pack, so recommended something smaller that can be used everyday and for longer trips as required. It would be a bit of a waste buying something large and only using it once or twice.
 JoshOvki 15 Apr 2012
In reply to marsbar:
> (In reply to jonnie3430) I don't really follow your logic, tent inside the pack or out doesn't really save on weight.

Hmm actually I think it would. If you have the tent inside you can't then pack the junk you don't need that you would have space for if it was outside, so saving weight
scrufff 15 Apr 2012

If you're looking at Vango packs, I have a Vango Pumori (60+10) that I used for my D of E which has sat in the cupboard ever since. I'd have to check what it would cost to post but I could send it your way if you're interested - as I say I've never really used it so wouldn't be after much.

Size wise you unfortunately need quite a big pack for DofE, if I remember right there is a kit list you have to satisfy. It's not really a problem though and quite nice not to have to jam everything into stuff sacks each morning. Bottom zip access is quite handy too, if it's hoofing down you can get straight at your tent when you reach camp without having to pull everything else out
 wilkesley 15 Apr 2012
In reply to JoshOvki:

Having the tent outside is a good idea. Generally when you arrive at the place where you want to camp, the first thing you want is the tent. If it's inside your sack and it's hissing down, it's a real pain trying to get out out without getting everything wet. If the tent is on the outside of your sack, you can put it up immediately then throw the stuff from your sack into the tent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...