UKC

NEWS: Honnold Onsight Solos Fiesta de los Biceps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 17 Apr 2012
Riglos, Spain. The classic route of Fiesta de los Biceps takes the left side of the steep face on the right., 3 kbAmerican climber Alex Honnold has onsight soloed the classic Spanish multi pitch 7a of Fiesta de los Biceps on the conglomerate towers of Riglos.

The following day Alex visited the world famous Spanish sport cliff of Oliana, where he climbed two 8bs, an 8a+ and an 8a in a day.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67050

The sharp end 17 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Fabulous!
 Marc C 17 Apr 2012
In reply to The sharp end: Yeah, respect and all that - but, all this 'x solos F8a, y climbs Eiger in 25 minutes, z bags 10 E8s in an afternoon'! God, don't you just wish these superhero types would have a rest and give us a break - just a breather, so we mere mortals could enjoy our 'all the Diffs at Birchen's in one day' and feel a sense of achievement?
 lummox 17 Apr 2012
In reply to Marc C: I remember seeing a picture years ago of some bloke near the top of Fiesta de los Biceps in Mountain/High (?) and being blown away. Got washed out on my only trip to Riglos. I'd love to go back- but not for Fiesta : )
 Lord_ash2000 17 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: Top effort, We climbed this route last week and I must say I wouldn't fancy doing the upper pitches without being able to rest at the belays.
 Ben Farley 17 Apr 2012
In reply to Lord_ash2000: I heard you rested on the bolts Ash. And you climb like a duck...
 Michael Ryan 17 Apr 2012
In reply to lummox:
> (In reply to Marc C) I remember seeing a picture years ago of some bloke near the top of Fiesta de los Biceps in Mountain/High (?) and being blown away.

Carlos Garcia has soloed it, and Alex Huber; possibly others.

Marc C 17 Apr 2012
In reply to lummox:
> (In reply to Marc C) I remember seeing a picture years ago of some bloke near the top of Fiesta de los Biceps in Mountain/High (?) and being blown away.

That's tragic - goes to show, a sudden gust of wind just as you're about to finish a route Happened to a chap I knew - he was jumping across from Adam to Eve on the top of Tryfan and his sandwiches were blown away. Ironically, we found them several months later - must have been hungry because they tasted delicious.
 GrahamD 17 Apr 2012
In reply to Marc C:
> .... so we mere mortals could enjoy our 'all the Diffs at Birchen's in one day' and feel a sense of achievement?

I tried that once and failed - couldn't get through whatever that chimney is called Sorry, I digress.

lummox 17 Apr 2012
In reply to Marc C: I'm ashamed to say it had more to with the previous night's keema dhal..
 Jon Read 17 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:
It's events like this that confirm to me climbing has progressed since I started. Onsight and a doddle, by all accounts.
 morpcat 17 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

I heard his ancestors slept with lizards.
Smiler H 17 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: Fantastic! Sure made me smile!
 Mr Lopez 17 Apr 2012
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:
> (In reply to lummox)
> [...]
>
> Carlos Garcia has soloed it, and Alex Huber; possibly others.

Yep, and this is what it looked like.

I remember seeing these photos when i was starting to climb and they stuck in my head ever since.

Enjoy...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FYCbCi8jI60/SEhIFFFnQSI/AAAAAAAAADg/1gTzy7aGAwA/s...
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kU1Tz7YHCfY/SK70_PzTFnI/AAAAAAAAAUI/mZIwZITCP3o/s...
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FYCbCi8jI60/SEhSZ185tvI/AAAAAAAAAEA/NlEbIfaf-JU/s...

fingerminds 17 Apr 2012

the only solo so far was that of Carlos Garcia
i heard that Huber glanced La Fiesta on a rope and gave up due to the polishing that are the more technical pitches of the route, and went to make a less polished in the Pison, for the photos
only someone who has climbed La Fiesta can appreciate in its true size, beyond the grade of the route, the awesome of this activity
respect Alex!
 Jon Read 17 Apr 2012
In reply to Mr Lopez:
Cor blimey.
 Dave Garnett 17 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Read:
> (In reply to UKC News)
> It's events like this that confirm to me climbing has progressed since I started.

I never doubted it. It's only my climbing that hasn't progressed since I started.
 CurlyStevo 17 Apr 2012
In reply to Mr Lopez:
I've only climbed scottish conglomerate but it strikes me as a serious business as quite how well the cobbles are connected to the main wall is always dubious.
 Mr Lopez 17 Apr 2012
In reply to fingerminds:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC)

> i heard that Huber glanced La Fiesta on a rope and gave up due to the polishing that are the more technical pitches of the route, and went to make a less polished in the Pison, for the photos

Yeah, he did the Murciana

JJL 17 Apr 2012
> (In reply to lummox)
> [...]
>
> Carlos Garcia has soloed it, and Alex Huber; possibly others.

Rich Simpson for sure
 thermal_t 17 Apr 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to Mr Lopez)
> I've only climbed scottish conglomerate but it strikes me as a serious business as quite how well the cobbles are connected to the main wall is always dubious.

That was my first thought upon seeing this article, granite cracks are one thing..........

I guess the route sees a lot of traffic, which would deal with the loose stuff, but the idea of being on an overhanging route and suddenly pulling a big hold off is the stuff of nightmares for me! This guy has a seriously cool disposition!
 steve taylor 17 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome - but he's really upped his game now with an on-sight of Freeborn Man!
 Adam Lincoln 17 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Having done this last week, thats pretty insane. If one of the many hundreds of stuck on blobs came off then he would be a gone'r!
 Ramblin dave 17 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:
But what's he ever done on gri...

Oh, okay, carry on.
 Jon Read 17 Apr 2012
In reply to Ramblin dave:
New here, huh?
 Ian Parsons 18 Apr 2012
In reply to fingerminds:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC)
>
> the only solo so far was that of Carlos Garcia

And Philippe Mussatto, presumably.
 Morgan Woods 18 Apr 2012
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Cheers for the vid link and the desnivel cover....both of which i hadn't seen.
 SonyaD 18 Apr 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo: I've climbed at Riglos (and done the most terrifying, multipitch, free hanging abseil from one of the towers)albeit on something VERY easy and was blown away by the place, it's simply stunning. I quite like climbing on conglomerate but the thought of soloing something there because of those cobbles and pebbles would be terrifying! I'm well impressed that someone would solo Fiesta de los Biceps and there's a photo on this site of the route that's simply gorgeous. Will go find it.

Ian Dunn 18 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: How come he has a rope sponsor? He isn't a very good advert for them as he doesn't use them!

Marc C 20 Apr 2012
In reply to Ian Dunn: Probably waiting for the day he slips off to his death, then the ad campaign will be 'If only Alex had tied on to a ....'?
 chrisbevins 23 Apr 2012
i imagine he got a bit of a shock when he came across the present we left on the route youtube.com/watch?v=xjLYx5Hcu8s&
 Mr Lopez 23 Apr 2012
In reply to chrisbevins:

Lol!

Mr Lopez 23 Apr 2012
In reply to chrisbevins:

And Caylor' and Alex's response...

Hank Caylor
When you climbed the Fiesta de los Bicepes recently in Riglos, were there laminated pictures of bodybuilders hanging from the belay bolts for you also?
19 April at 00:17 near Boulder, CO

Alex Honnold
There were. Weird, but kinda funny. You did it recently? How old are those?
19 April at 08:30 · Like

Hank Caylor
It sounds like my Wife and I did it the week before you got there, really cool place. The pictures were put there the week before I got there by some Brits. Great job on that thing by the way Alex.
19 April at 12:11 · Like · 1

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...