UKC

Scott skis for touring: Mission or Crusair?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chris bedford 18 Apr 2012
Looking for some new skis for Alpine hut-to-hut touring for the wife. Have browsed all the UKC postings and looked around on t'internet, and have come down to one of the above (partly as there seem to be some really good end of season offers on these at the moment). She currently uses Salomon B2's with Fritschi bindings which have seen good service over the past few years, but feel it's time to move on. She's an experienced but not a super-confident, fast or aggressive skier, though can cope with a wide variety of snow conditions, weight about 65kg.... Occasional piste use (mainly for working on technique), not too concerned about hauling things uphill, but would like something which copes well with the descents - so not a light 'touring ski' (but will most likely get some sort of dynafits for the new planks.)
The Missions seem to get a good press on UKC, but the Alpine Guides website raves about the (more expensive) Crusair. Only concern about the latter is the 'all the gear - no idea' kind of thing.
Anyway, if anyone is feeling bored and would like to help sway us one way or t'other, would be very grateful.
 walts4 19 Apr 2012
In reply to chris bedford:

crusairs well worth the cash, been using them as my only set of skis for the whole of the winter handling everything going.

using them with dyna, super light, float nicely, even good on the piste, no complaints.
Money well spent i think, may be worth checking out telemark pyrenees for their mid summer deals.

Morgan Woods 19 Apr 2012

Here are my thoughts on the crusair's:

http://www.epicski.com/t/99830/2011-scott-crusair-mini-review:

Have also heard good things about the mission....so don't think you could go wrong with either. They are fairly traditional cambered skis so there may be more advanced rocker skis out there but I think for general touring duties that should serve you well, especially in variable snow. Mine seem to do ok in deep powder but for really deep stuff i prefer my Bent Chetlers. I think with the new rocker/camber construction (such as the BC's) it is now possible to go fatter than you may think. Also might be worth looking in the atomic range....say the drifter.

With dynas it would be a nice light set up so don't worry about how others may perceive them.
 SiWood 19 Apr 2012

I have no experience of the Crusairs but I do ski Missions (with Fritschi freeride bindings) for pretty much all my skiing (multiday tours, lift accessed off piste and piste). Prior to that I skied Dynastar 8000s and before that Rossi B2s

I have been really impressed with the Missions especially in variable conditions (crud, windpack etc), they cut through most stuff quite easily without having to be aggressive. They also seem to turn more easily compared to my old ski which were the same length.

The only negatives is they seem to be a little heavier for long skinning days (or is it I am more unfit!) and dont feel quite as stable on narrower skinning tracks ( I dont know if this is due only to width underfoot or they are a little softer).

Most of my ski mates also ski Missions now and we are all happy with the performance - although non use dynafits so cant comment on that combination.

As and add on you might also consider Movement Logics which look a similar kind of ski.
Alison Culshaw 19 Apr 2012

Just to add a third ski for you to think about! http://k2skis.com/skis/adventure/talkback

Seem some here
http://mobile.snowandrock.com/k2-talkback-%28ski-only%29/skis/ski-snowboard...

Otherwise go for the Crusair's

top cat 19 Apr 2012

I almost got the Crusairs BUT suddenly had a thought of a heather branch flicking up though those silly holes..................didn't buy them for this reason.

Of course, if you don't intend to tour in the UK this won't matter.
 John2 19 Apr 2012
In reply to chris bedford: The Missions are a very good ski, but also very heavy. You should be able to find someting lighter for touring.
chrisfecher 19 Apr 2012
In reply to chris bedford: Hi there

I ski the guys version of this ski with Dynafit bindings, probably done 30+days on them now and they are great. This is a sandwich construction all mountain ski @ 90mm, so nice a solid working well on and off-piste. Its plenty light enough with the Dynafit bindings too! Worth a look for sure!

http://k2skis.com/skis/adventure/brightside
OP chris bedford 19 Apr 2012
In reply to top cat:
> (In reply to chris bedford)
>
>
> I almost got the Crusairs BUT suddenly had a thought of a heather branch flicking up though those silly holes..................didn't buy them for this reason.
>
......or in the Alps blinded by the cold smoke blowin' through the holes.
Or maybe not.
Thanks for all the replies so far - really useful.

semw 19 Apr 2012

Have skied Missions for last 3 years and they've been great. Could get a lighter ski but if you're considering Dynafits rather than Fritschis then that'll save more weight than the choice of ski.

Have used them for day tours and hut to hut and have been very happy with them in all snow conditions. Go for the Missions with dynafits and save a bit of money over the Crusairs!
 Henry Iddon 23 Apr 2012

Remember that Plum bindings are worth a look as well.
OP chris bedford 23 Apr 2012
In reply to Henry Iddon:
> (In reply to chris bedford)
>
> Remember that Plum bindings are worth a look as well.

Thanks. Have heard good things about these, but wife reckons (from the website) that you can't get brakes for these. But then from what I've read it seems that Dynafit brakes aren't up to much either......
 Henry Iddon 24 Apr 2012

Go old school with a strap

My understanding - which may be incorrect - is that Plum are machined from a block of metal whereas Dynafit are cast. I know nothing about this kind of thing but am of the impression this makes Plum stronger. Sure there's people more expert than me on this kind of thing tho.
macstinator 24 Apr 2012

Plum are waiting on Patents coming through for their new binding, with brakes, and should be ready for the coming season.

they had to do a total redesign, rather than augment the existing bindings.
moffatross 01 May 2012
"Only concern about the (Crusair)is the 'all the gear - no idea' kind of thing."

I don't get your point. You can buy a 2010/2011 pair new for about £350 and there's not a sticker on them saying 'for professionals only'.

They're nimble, stiff, float when you want them to and they're surprisingly light for such a solid ski. They're a master of nothing but their downhill performance is so reliable in a wide range of conditions that you'll end up trusting them wherever or whatever you're skiing and on the uphill, they'll help you keep up with your fitter friends, especially if they're not using Dynafits and you are.

What's not to like about that ?
OP chris bedford 10 May 2012
Thanks for everyone's thoughts and advice. Got a pair of Crusairs for about 350 quid and they are now sitting in my office at work, where they will remain for a few days while I ogle them before the wife insists I take them home so she can do the same.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...