UKC

No Country For Old Men

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 birdie num num 20 Apr 2012
Num Num is reading Cormac Mc Carthy 'No country for old men'
Brutal, spare and compelling. A must read if you've not yet.
I've not seen the film either. How's that for being behind time?
 DaveHK 20 Apr 2012
In reply to birdie num num:

Blood Meridian and the Border Trilogy are even better. Particularly the Border Trilogy
Removed User 20 Apr 2012

McCarthy is excellent. Read "Blood Meridian" if you want brutal though.

I liked the film of NCFOM.
 DaveHK 20 Apr 2012
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed Userbirdie num num)
>
> Read "Blood Meridian" if you want brutal though.
>

That bit with the eyes...that's all I'm going to say.

The character of Glanton is based on a real person and also makes an appearance in 'Flashman and the Redskins' by George Macdonald Fraser.
 Trangia 20 Apr 2012

Not read the book. Enjoyed the film second time round - didn't understand it first time. (That's not unusual for me - Da Vinci Code took book plus seeing film twice to fathom it out, never have understood what on earth is going on in Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy)
 Thrudge 20 Apr 2012
In reply to DaveHK:
> Blood Meridian and the Border Trilogy are even better. Particularly the Border Trilogy

Seconded.
 Niall 20 Apr 2012

Book excellent, film excellent.

Tommy Lee Jones - Grizzled and bewildered.

Javier Bardem - chilling.

And it's got Kelly McDonald from Trainspotting.

Top movie.
 redsulike 20 Apr 2012
In reply to birdie num num: Book...I have to admit I haven't read it. Film, shit! Masssively hyped. The main characters, totally uinsympathetic. the events incredible, as is; beyond all credibility. Bollocks, waste of money. This particular Emperor is not wearing any clothes. It's rival at the Oscars, 'There will be blood', rubbish also. Both films fed off their rivalry rather than any quality, the attention diverted away from a very poor film year by the battle at the box office manufactured by the studios.
Removed User 20 Apr 2012
In reply to redsulike:
> The main characters, totally uinsympathetic.

This made me laugh. Not quite sure what a sympathetic Chigurh would have looked like?
 DaveHK 20 Apr 2012
In reply to redsulike:
> (In reply to birdie num num) The main characters, totally uinsympathetic.

Well I for one was totally invested in Llewelyn Moss' survival. He deserved it. But that's not how it works in a McCarthy novel.
 anonymouse 20 Apr 2012
> This made me laugh. Not quite sure what a sympathetic Chigurh would have looked like?

Probably even more terrifying
Removed User 20 Apr 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

You might want to delete that!
 DaveHK 20 Apr 2012
> (In reply to Removed UserDave Kerr)
>
> You might want to delete that!

Whoops.

Tom Valentine 21 Apr 2012
In reply to redsulike:

1.) Read the book.

2.) Watch the film again. then tell me a more tension-loaded scene than the one in the shop.

3.)OK you've got me: which single event do you find incredible?
 butteredfrog 21 Apr 2012

Both the book and the film left me stunned; thinking WTF.... in a good way!
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Well, there are spoilers on the thread already, so a couple more won't hurt it guess...

The chirurrgh character was entirely unbelievable, more like an unkillable supervillain than a real person

Which would be fair enough, but when the film appears to be about the banality and iniquity of evil and the impotence of tommy lee Jones in the face of that, having an antagonist who would be more at home in the dark knight kind of undermined the films message to me,

Not a bad film, but less than the sum
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

... Of its parts, in my opinion

(Damn Android phones...!)

Cheers
Gregor

Ps should say ubiquity not iniquity...
 anonymouse 21 Apr 2012
> The chirurrgh character was entirely unbelievable, more like an unkillable supervillain than a real person
>
> Which would be fair enough, but when the film appears to be about the banality and iniquity of evil and the impotence of tommy lee Jones in the face of that, having an antagonist who would be more at home in the dark knight kind of undermined the films message to me,

Like most Cormac McCarthy stuff you can understand it or read it in different ways. Everyone was impotent in the face of Chiririrughg. Some think he represents death. Modern, mechanised, mass death - he uses a bolt gun rather than a scythe - but death nonetheless. You can't escape him and despite what all the characters think you can't outsmart him or kill him. But, intersetingly, right there at the end, we see he can be wounded. Go figure.

Of course, you can just see him as a human bean in which case it's a kind of dark joke. He's the ultimate anti-hero. Think about all the characters he chews through: the lone cowboy, the grizzled old sheriff, the innocent young girl, as well as all the others. He lines up the archetypes (and peoples expectations) then casually swats them aside. If you root for Chighgigighgur the book's quite enjoyable.

In reply to anonymouse:

interesting, chirurururughhh as any allegory for death was something i hadnt considered,

makes more sense in a way than him being a literal supervillain,

cheers

gregor
Removed User 21 Apr 2012
> (In reply to anonymouse)
>
> interesting, chirurururughhh as any allegory for death was something i hadnt considered,
>
> makes more sense in a way than him being a literal supervillain,
>
> cheers
>
> gregor

But this is the way McCarthy writes. Read "The Road",it is not about two people pushing a shopping trolly through a desert.
 anonymouse 21 Apr 2012
> But this is the way McCarthy writes. Read "The Road",it is not about two people pushing a shopping trolly through a desert.

I've read it. It is.
 JamButty 21 Apr 2012
In reply to birdie num num: Found the film great but really disappointed with the last 20 mins, it lost its way. Bardem was fantastic though.

Heard the book is great, so I'll have to try and get a copy.
 Blue Straggler 22 Apr 2012

It's all plagiarised from the 1973 film "Charley Varrick" with just a couple of minor changes
 Tom Valentine 22 Apr 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:
Thought it wouldn't be long........
 Richard Baynes 22 Apr 2012
I read loads of Cormac Mcarthy a few years back, on the recommendation of my then 70-year-old mum. WTF she made of all the blood etc I have no idea. But she was pretty sharp and said: "You will enjoy this, but I'm not sure whether this guy is clever or just a fraud."

Removed User 22 Apr 2012
In reply to Richard Baynes:

What did she mean by "fraud"?
 AlisonSmiles 22 Apr 2012

Frankly every post I've seen you make has increased my respect for your wisdom and I shall be ordering my copy from Amazon directly!
In reply to AlisonSmiles:
Sensible girl. It's a pity more UCKers are not like you, Num Num constantly beavers away at educating folk nonetheless.
 AlisonSmiles 22 Apr 2012
In reply to birdie num num: besides which, it was available for £2.75 including postage and packing!
Num Num is very confident that you will enjoy it. If you don't, I will raid Mrs. Num Num's purse and refund your £2.75.
 Bulls Crack 22 Apr 2012

What if one doesn't like brutal, spare and compelling psychopath stories?
> (In reply to Removed UserRichard Baynes)
>
> What did she mean by "fraud"?

A potboiler writer who was getting taken seriously, I think. I could see what she meant sometimes in all that terse drama.
In reply to Bulls Crack:
In that case, I can recommend 'The Darling Buds of May' H.E. Bates
Removed User 22 Apr 2012
In reply to Richard Baynes:
> (In reply to Minneconjou Sioux)
> [...]
>
> A potboiler writer who was getting taken seriously, I think. I could see what she meant sometimes in all that terse drama.

I could see how some might think like that but I don't see it. The border trilogy is an exceptional piece of work, both collectively and in the individual books.
 ThunderCat 22 Apr 2012
> Num Num is reading Cormac Mc Carthy 'No country for old men'
> Brutal, spare and compelling. A must read if you've not yet.
> I've not seen the film either. How's that for being behind time?

Enjoyed the film and the book. I'd have to put Chigurh down as one of the great movie bad-guys. The scene in the gas station is amazing.

Bulls Crack 22 Apr 2012
> (In reply to Bulls Crack)
> In that case, I can recommend 'The Darling Buds of May' H.E. Bates

Now you're talking - just about my favourite novelist!
In reply to Removed User: Yep I think overall he's pretty interesting and produces good tales, Border Trilogy (don't think I read the third though) especially. But there is a slight danger of toppling over into the overdone. Bit like Hemingway, I suppose.
 thomm 23 Apr 2012
I loved the Border Trilogy as a teenager, especially number 2 which haunted me for years. I enjoyed the film of NCFOM, but fwiw I thought There Will Be Blood, released at the same time, was a much better and more interesting film.
 stujamo 23 Apr 2012
> (In reply to Removed UserRichard Baynes)
> [...]
>
> I could see how some might think like that but I don't see it. The border trilogy is an exceptional piece of work, both collectively and in the individual books.

Agreed
 AlisonSmiles 25 Apr 2012
In reply to birdie num num: It's arrived. Is it acceptable to let my mates down as an indoor climbing partner tonight so I can start reading ...?
You may start yes. But don't get into trouble with your mates. And remember to let Num Num know if you do/don't enjoy it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...