UKC

Buying a Camcorder

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 21 Apr 2012
I'm thinking about getting a camcorder and just wondering what to look for. I don't want anything too expensive and I'm considering eBay. I just want something that I can use on treks in the mountains.

What sort of resolution should I be considering?

Thanks for any advice.
OP mypyrex 21 Apr 2012
Bump
 Fraser 21 Apr 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

Once you've seen full HD footage, you wont want anything less. £250 should get you something reasonably good and small.
 london_huddy 21 Apr 2012
 swalk 21 Apr 2012
In reply to mypyrex: I've been thinking the same thing. It seems to be a choice between getting a "tough" compact with video or a tough camcorder. I havent made up my mind yet but thinking about the Nikon Coolpix AW100, the Panasonic HX-WA20 and the PANASONIC HMTA20EBA.
 Fraser 22 Apr 2012
In reply to swalk:

The main pro for going down the camcorder route for me was the increased zoom facility. No compact would come close. On the other hand, the compacts often had slightly wider angle lenses than most standard camcorders. I got around this by buying a 3rd party w/a and converter, which isn't exactly handy, but does the job.

Also, the other pro of getting a camcorder is the flip-out screen, so you can better monitor your subject, nomatter where the 'camera' is eg on top of a telescopic pole, as I often do.

It's horses for courses really.
OP mypyrex 22 Apr 2012
What sort of resolution should I be considering?
The ones I've seen on ebay seem to be low on megapixels(compared with my still camera)

Any comments please?
 Fraser 23 Apr 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

Back to basics here:

do you want a stills camera or a video camera? If the former, buy one. If the latter, get a full HD one (as already stated) and forget about the stills resolution.

If you want to make phone calls, buy a mobile - don't ask about its resolution.
 Trangia 23 Apr 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

Unless you will have access to a recharging facility like a portable wind generator, you will find that battery life will be your main problem and it is worth considering investing in one or two larger long life batteries than the average camcorder comes with and which will fit that model. These batteries are quite buky and also very expensive and you will need to charge them just before before you leave civilisation. Also bear in mind that the colder it gets at altitude, the faster your batteries will run down.
AJ Trevor 15 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

I use a combination of a GoPro and a Sony CX190e camcorder for filming climbing, skiing, mountain biking, kayaking, kiting, surfing.

If you are just using it trekking then any HD camcorder should do the job. get one that uses SD cards though - its cheaper, lighter and more versatile.

Get a spare battery and get a waterproof case that will allow you to film in the rain and not worry about the camera (like an aquapack or something)
If you are off to nepal or somewhere then you can keep a small battery charged by sticking a freeloader solar charger on the top of your rucksack each day.

No camcorder takes very good stills really. you are better off taking along a decent compact aswell. We just swap the different cameras around between us for a good mix of film and stills of everyone.

It gives you a really great record and you can make really cool films with really amateur equipment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...