UKC

Triumph Tiger 800. ( xc or roadie?)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 birdie num num 23 Apr 2012
Num Num is going to swap the Transalp for the Tiger 800. But which one, xc or roadie? Use will be road, Num Num likes the style of the xc but then thinks 'don't be daft, buy the roadie, use the extra dosh and get ABS' What do UCKers think? Anyone road tested/ridden both?
Bimbler 23 Apr 2012
In reply to birdie num num:

Chap I know was in a similar position, he'd done lots of touring and stuff on KTM's, Transalp's and stuff. In the end he got the road version and said it was different to start with and took a bit of getting used to, however doesn't regret it and said it handles much better for pure road stuff than anything similar...

ps- he's a big petrol head and has owned lots of bikes with dozens if European tours inc trips to the 'ring'!
 dingbat46 23 Apr 2012

If it is purely for road use then also consider the Tiger 1050, some good deals around at the moment.
In reply to dingbat46:
Have considered bigger, I get the Transalp out almost daily. I reckon if the bike was too heavy it would become a chore to get in and out of the shed and I probably wouldn't use it as much. The 800 is about right for what I want. Heart says xc, head says road, just need a nudge one way or the other from folk who own one or the other.
M0nkey 23 Apr 2012
In reply to birdie num num: if you use it every day you will be out in the rain from time to time so i'd go for the ABS, hence the road version.
 butteredfrog 23 Apr 2012

My next door neighbour got rid of his Triumph after only 6 months. Lovely bike (2010 sprint ST) but serious issues with the finish; very soft paint, poor anodising etc.

I would have a look on the forums and try and find out if Triumph have sorted things out.

Cheers Adam
 Bobbsy 23 Apr 2012

I have GS800, have been looking at changing to the triumph, I would go with the XC...if you're going to go with that style of bike I reckon better to have some off road capability - even the XC is more road oriented than the GS800. The triumph seems like a great bike.
In reply to Bobbsy:
I think the only problem for me with the xc is the fact that I'm on the balls of my feet when stationary, I know that it can be lowered but will this upset the handling and ride any?
 DreadyCraig 23 Apr 2012
Bit of a tangent, but have you considered the Suzuki v-strom. Brilliant all rounder, on road and off road. see heere:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156028
I have serious wind buffeting problems at high speed though.
 LastBoyScout 23 Apr 2012

Lowering it only upsets the handling if not done properly.

My SV was lowered, but only the rear - previous owner hadn't dropped the forks through enough to compensate and it was a pig round tight corners with the slacker head angle.

I've now put it back to correct height and it's a different bike.

If you do lower it, just remember you won't be able to get it over quite as far before the foot pegs catch, but unless you're a serious knee-down merchant on a sports bike, that shouldn't be a problem - if you're that far over on a TransAlp, you've probably fallen off anyway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...