UKC

How fast is 'fast' drying in Font?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bertbee 23 Apr 2012
I'm heading off to Font for the first time this weekend - weather depending - but it looks like it's forecast to rain a bit whilst I'm there.

I notice that some areas are considered to be faster drying than others, but how fast is 'fast'?

I really don't want to cancel the trip, but if it takes 6 hours for the rock to dry then there may be no point going...
 Stuart S 23 Apr 2012
In reply to Leedsbee:

It rained for about half an hour when I was at Canche aux Merciers a couple of weeks ago (enough to get everything wet but not really soaking). Once it stopped, it was dry enough to climb again on some problems about 15 mins later (temp was about 10-12C, day was generally overcast).
 danm 23 Apr 2012
In reply to Leedsbee:

Much like anywhere else, if there is a bit of sun and/or a breeze running, then stuff will dry out. Best bets to head for are the places which are out of the trees and exposed near the top of a hill.

Some quick drying options off the top of my head:

Rocher Fin (longish walk)
bits of Apremont
Canche au Merciers
Col du Chien
parts of Rocher Sabot

Just make sure you take a boot rag or carpet to brush off damp sand from your shoes before you climb.
 Bruce Hooker 23 Apr 2012
In reply to Stuart S:

The Canche aux Merciers is not really that fast drying, it's often quite greasy as there are a lot of trees - areas in the middle of the Trois Pignons dry more quickly, or up on the other side of the motorway there is an exposed edge which faces South and dries much quicker.
 Bruce Hooker 23 Apr 2012
In reply to Leedsbee:

Le Rocher de la Reine is the name, gets really hot on a sunny day. Opposite (S) is the Bois Rond which is quite good but not in terms of quick drying as it is tree covered.
 peterp 24 Apr 2012
In reply to Bruce Hooker:
Agreed - never quite understood why the Canche aux Merciers was always billed as a quick drying crag.
dickybowtie 24 Apr 2012
In reply to Leedsbee: 13 minutes and 54 seconds (on average)
OP Bertbee 25 Apr 2012
In reply to dickybowtie:

Brilliant - that's the kind of concise answer I was after
 ChrisJD 25 Apr 2012
In reply to dickybowtie:

Disagree !

I've always found it to be 13 minutes and 53 seconds (on average).

Get it right!
 Stuart S 25 Apr 2012
In reply to ChrisJD:

I did say about 15 minutes. Sheesh!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...