UKC

Hot Rocks - Douglas, Isle of Man

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tom290483 24 Apr 2012
Apparently a new wall is open in Douglas.

Anyone know anything about it?

My missus has family there so would be cool to be able to get some decent training in whilst visiting.

Cheers
 Nik Jennings 24 Apr 2012
In reply to tom290483:
I've been and I'd go back.

The wall height isn't great (maybe 8m at its highest point?) and the bouldering was a bit limited but there's several lines to top-rope and several lead lines. When I was there they had their own grading system going from 1 to 5 (I think). 1's were probably very easy and 5's were probably like bouldery 6c/7a-ish.
Things that I'd change:
1 - The mats on the bouldering bit were a tad rubbish and the bouldering section as a whole wasn't really set up properly.
2 - The music was incredibly loud, I had a sore throat for a couple of days after having to shout conversations there.
3 - Some of that dense rubber matting under the lead wall as given the shortness of the routes groundfalls are quite common (not as alarming as it sounds).

The general vibe was friendly and welcoming and I was quite impressed that the wall was up running and popular (it was rammed). Over time I'm sure things will get slicker and as I said above I'll definitely go back there when I'm next over.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...