UKC

Recommendations for 2 man tents c£100 - £130

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toby S 26 Apr 2012
Any recommendations for something that'll do for 3 season camping and the odd festival? Vango seem to have a decent range and I was thinking something like the Vango Tempest or Banshee. If there are any deals to be had then I'll be very interested to see them!

I'm going to 4 festivals this summer :-D and I'm also planning a few trips away on the bike so something reasonably robust would be ideal. Weight isn't a huge issue either.
 Fluvial 26 Apr 2012
In reply to Toby S:

Vango spectre 200 is cheap, light and pretty robust and got best value two man tent by Trail magazine I had one, it was fine until I got caught in a force 8 gale onto of Scarth Gap Pass then I had to bin it - should be fine for your needs

http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/Gear-Reviews/Search-Results/Tents/Vango-S...

Try looking on the internet for deals they have this device called Google that makes that kind of thing pretty simple in less than 1 min I had it down to £77.

Good luck with the internet search thing
 thin bob 26 Apr 2012
In reply to Toby S:
if you can, go check them out in person. I sat in a few at gooutdoors and the headroom/ease of access varied quite a bit, even in the same range (I noticed particularly with Vango, possibly because they had a lot pitched).

For festvals, I'd be tempted to go for one with plenty of mesh and headroom for the hot air to rise.
Don't forget to unscrew your thermarest valve when you wake up
OP Toby S 27 Apr 2012
In reply to fozmeister:

I'm fully aware of Google, but seeing as UKC has a good few hundred climbers and hillwalkers browsing the forums every day I thought a post on here would be a good place to get personal recommendations.

But hey, don't let me stop you from indulging in childish sarcasm.
OP Toby S 27 Apr 2012
In reply to thin bob:

Ta, just found out that we have a Go Outdoors in Inverness. It's tucked away in the middle of one of the old industrial estates in town and I had no idea it was there. I'll pop along this weekend.
 The Ivanator 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Toby S: The Tempest is a good tent and has considerably more porch space than the Banshee. Worth buying some decent additional pegs because the ones supplied are pretty flimsy, ditch the porch groundsheet - it just gathers water and leaves your kit sitting in a puddle.
Despite these reservations I'd say it is probably the best tent you are likely to get in your specified price bracket.
 neil9216 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Toby S:
hi there
I have a Mountain Hardwear Viperine 2 man tent.
Retails at £250 also have the additional foot print £30 this allows you to pitch the outer fly sheet only so you can use it as a shelter.

It is brand new only used it twice.
I would sell it for £130.
This is an exceptional tent for this price.
For more technical info go to the mountain Hardwear website.
Let me know if your interested.
Cheers
Neil
In reply to Toby S:

A suggestion, rather than a recommendation (i.e. I'venever used them).

Coleman Cobra 2 & 3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Cobra-Person-Backpacking-Tent/dp/B0047T69S2... £57

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Cobra-Three-Person-Backpacking/dp/B0047T69S... £70

They look a bit cramped, perhaps.

For best volume/weight, I'd go for a tunnel tent. If weight isn't an issue, then go for something a bit more spacious; depends how much time you intend to spend in the tent at festivals; a tiny thing can be a bit cramped, and can get very hot; maybe look for something with doors at both ends to allow a through-flow of air. Some of the tunnels have a sleeping inner tent, and a large-ish porch/'living area', sometimes with doors on both sides.
 greycarsdave 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Toby S:

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/product/wild-country-tents-zephyro...
Looks good

I got my MH Lightpath 2 for around £110 a few months ago, its awesome for the price, used it in some really poor conditions. Worth getting a footprint too.

Dave.
 Fluvial 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Toby S:

Couldn't resist sorry
almost sane 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Toby S:
If you are going to festivals I would suggest you get a cheap and cheerful tent for that purpose.

Few of us would enjoy clearing vomit from our treasured high-tech home, or smile ruefully at someone tent-surfing on our tent because they were too out of it to realise it wasn't their pal's.

You can usually get a tent for a tenner or so that would do the job. If it survives the festival intact, then use it at the next one. If not, then you haven't lost too much.

Then spend your remaining £100 or so on a lightweight tent for the bike (do you mean cycling?).
 morbh 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Toby S:
If weight genuinely isn't an issue I'd recommend a Vango Zetes. I've used the 300 as my festival & car camping tent for the past 4 or 5 years. It's been robust enough to survive the horror that was last year's Bella & a "typical" week on Canna last June. It's not "bombproof" & I wouldn't dream of taking it backpacking, but it's been more than a match for all that I & the scottish weather have thrown at it on any occasion I've wanted a modicum of comfort. (I use it as a max 2-man tent - luxury!)

The groundsheet does rustle though...
 ezzpbee 28 Apr 2012
In reply to Toby S: just bought a 2 man sphinx from GO to replace daughters tent and it seems good, got it as it looks like a copy of my dragonfly but heavier
OP Toby S 28 Apr 2012
In reply to almost sane:
> (In reply to Toby S)
>
> You can usually get a tent for a tenner or so that would do the job. If it survives the festival intact, then use it at the next one. If not, then you haven't lost too much.

Yeah but if the weather is pish then they generally leak, or fall to bits if you so much as sneeze at them.

>
> Then spend your remaining £100 or so on a lightweight tent for the bike (do you mean cycling?).

I do indeed.

Thanks folks for the suggestions, even Fozmeister . Had an offer of an MSR Hubba Hubba too so I've got plenty to consider.

Owen W-G 28 Apr 2012
In reply to Toby S:

I love my tent, wynster shrike 4 man so comfy for 3 and luxury for 2 decent porch, quick up and down and stronge enough in weather. Heavyish and big so fine to camp from the car but you wouldn't be taking this up a big hill. 75 here Maybe cheaper if you google it

http://www.campingworld.co.uk/Models.aspx?ModelID=2394
 Owen W-G 28 Apr 2012
In reply to Owen W-G:

Problem with some vangos is they split exactly in half lobby and sleeping rooms
The sleeping area was too short by about 3inches for me with ridiculously big lobby
Anyway check dimensions if you tall
 gavinpeach 28 Apr 2012
In reply to Toby S: Hi, I used a Tempest 200 in for 7 nights in the mountains of Glencoe this winter, and in the Lake District in March. It stood up well to some fairly horrific winds in Scotland. My friend had a Banshee and the winds snapped the poles in half; another friend had a 3 man Coleman tent, and the poles broke. Obviously, these are more extreme conditions than a festival, but the Tempest 200 stood up to horrific weather pretty well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...