UKC

Olympic drug bans overturned...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andy 29 Apr 2012
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/17853070

Chambers will doubtless run, but will Millar after Wiggo said he believed the bans should stand - sure Cav would like to have him there though. World Champs team together again?
 macmuseeuw 29 Apr 2012
In reply to andy:

Interestingly Millar has never come out and said he wants the ban overturned.
 Chris the Tall 29 Apr 2012
In reply to macmuseeuw:
One the one hand you have David millar, who has been open about what he did, why he did it, and has been evangelical in warning others not to follow his mistakes...

And on the other hand we have Dwain Chambers....

It's a pity that the BOA won't at least be allowed some discretion
 link 29 Apr 2012
In reply to andy:

I would love to see David Millar at the olympic road race. I believe radios aren't allowed in which case it is all the more important to have an experienced "captain". Millar is the best man for a job and has the respect of the whole peloton.
 nastyned 29 Apr 2012
In reply to Chris the Tall: I thought Dwain Chambers had been quite open about all the drugs he took.
OP andy 29 Apr 2012
In reply to nastyned:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall) I thought Dwain Chambers had been quite open about all the drugs he took.

I think he's refused to say who supplied him.

Millar's never sought to be picked, but it'll be interesting to see if he accepts if he's selected - Cavendish wants him there, pretty sure both Hoy and Wiggins have said they don't think drug cheats should be picked (without naming Millar, I think).
 lost1977 30 Apr 2012
In reply to nastyned:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall) I thought Dwain Chambers had been quite open about all the drugs he took

he was, and that's part of the reason he has had so much hassle after his ban. sporting authorities don't like people being honest about PED's because it shows the real picture they would rather cheats blame dodgy beef for them failing tests
In reply to lost1977:

I know what you mean and we all like a good conspiracy theory, but I don't really think it's true. I think as someone said it's DC's refusal to appear contrite and determination to protect his sources which does for him. That and the fact he still looks bulked up.

jcm
 Al Evans 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Chris the Tall: I agree with nastyned, I don't think Dwain has ever denied what he did, in fact I thought just the opposite, he said it was wrong and has set an example to young athletes by still being the best sprinter in the UK, while also no doubt the most tested.
fxceltic 30 Apr 2012
In reply to andy: personally Im glad DM is now eligible, I think he deserves to now be picked based on the example he has gone on to set.

I know less about DC and so am reluctant to comment on his potential appearance.

I dont think it matters that Brad and Hoy have said they dont want previously banned athletes competing, as Chris will not be in the road team (obviously), and I am not certain Brad will be either, as he is a big favourite to win the TdF and will only be finishing it a week earlier.

So my prediction is Brailsford will pick DM for road team captain and will only race Brad in the Time Trial, particularly as the time trial is only 4 days after the road race.
With some of the other big contenders for the time trial currently injured (they will be back but who knows in what shape at this point - Martin, Cancellara etc), then Brad will be one of the favourites for that for sure.

Im also fairly sure DM has said that he thinks the BOA ban should be overturned, but that he wasnt sure he would make himself available for selection (though now its been overturned I believe he will).
 tim000 30 Apr 2012
In reply to andy: wiggins will ride the road race . you have to if you do the TT .
In reply to andy:

CAS have just levelled the playing field so that team GB are not disadvantaged by their (IMHO) admirable stand against dopers who have served a ban. Sadly too few major sporting nations back the BOA's stance as they are desperate for their own 'sanctioned' cheats to be available for competition as soon as possible.

Millar's case is interesting in that he effectively became the "poacher turned gamekeeper" and is now fully rehabilitated and respected within the Pro peloton and is a strident advocate of 'clean sport'. You certainly can't say the same about all sanctioned 'cheats'.

Personally I feel that all drug cheats should get a mandatory 4 year ban where doping can be proven - 2 years for a missed testing violation or borderline case where there is insufficient proof of intent, and a life ban for a second offence. The same rules should apply equally across all sports.
fxceltic 30 Apr 2012
In reply to tim000:
> (In reply to andy) wiggins will ride the road race . you have to if you do the TT .

is that right? hadnt heard that.
fxceltic 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness:
> (In reply to andy)
>
> Personally I feel that all drug cheats should get a mandatory 4 year ban where doping can be proven - 2 years for a missed testing violation or borderline case where there is insufficient proof of intent, and a life ban for a second offence. The same rules should apply equally across all sports.

i think this would be about the best scenario
 Chris the Tall 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall) I agree with nastyned, I don't think Dwain has ever denied what he did, in fact I thought just the opposite, he said it was wrong and has set an example to young athletes by still being the best sprinter in the UK, while also no doubt the most tested.

DC tested positive in 2002 and only came clean in 2008. For years he maintained the "dodgy supplement from my coach" defense before finally admitting he took a number of drugs of his own volition - THG, epitestosterone cream, EPO, HGH, insulin lispro, modafinil and liothyronine
- according to wikipedia. Maybe I'm uncharitable, but his stand on drugs since then has been somewhat self-serving.

DM could have easily have slipped back into pro-cycling after his 2 year ban without needing to say anything. Instead he broke the unwritten law of the peleton - don't spit in the soup - and was far more frank, honest and critical than any other active cyclist. This has undoubtedly made him many enemies and made it virtually impossible for him to win anything other than a time trial.
 pat m 30 Apr 2012
In reply to andy: People seem to have ignored the fact that Dave Miller has not raced since he did his colarbone so may not have the form to lead the road team.
fxceltic 30 Apr 2012
In reply to pat m: collar bone isnt usually a big deal, brad crashed out of the TdF in July last year, breaking his collarbone, and was back to compete and finish third in the Vuelta in august.

He was back on the bike after a few days i believe. Plenty of time for David to recover and regain some form.
 AlisonSmiles 30 Apr 2012
In reply to fxceltic:
> (In reply to tim000)
> [...]
>
> is that right? hadnt heard that.

I'm pretty sure that's the right interpretation, the time trial rider for both men and women has to participate in their respective road races.
In reply to fxceltic:
> (In reply to pat m)
>
> He was back on the bike after a few days i believe. Plenty of time for David to recover and regain some form.

I have it on very good authority that Wiggo was out with the Bickerstaffe chaingang the day after having his collarbone pinned last year. (taking it easy at the back, and riding with his hands off the bars as he put his rain cape on).

Millar should certainly be fit by August - and will almost certainly figure in Garmin's TDF roster. Don't think its been decided whether he'll ride California or the Dauphinee as a warm up.

Toby_W 30 Apr 2012
In reply to andy:

If Miller rides he will be riding to support another GB athlete to win a medal. If DC runs he will be running for himself.

I love to be forgiving and give people a second chance but then I think of all the people who have missed out on the podium, the joy and the money due to the cheats who new full well what they were doing.

Let there be any ban you like for pro sports (it's there image) but keep the olympic lifetime exclusion as a selection critera. It is after all about representing your country.

Cheers

Toby
 fire_munki 30 Apr 2012
In reply to andy:
It is my opinion that David Millar should be allow to race.
Yes he made a costly mistake and he has paid his dues.

Compared to any other pro rider he has done more than his fair share to be a postive role model since then.
Garmin and Sky are both pushing as role models for clean racing.

I don't know enought about Chambers history nor his actions afterwards to comment but if he has served his punishment then we can't ban one and not the other.
 Mike Highbury 30 Apr 2012
In reply to fire_munki:
> (In reply to andy)
> It is my opinion that David Millar should be allow to race.
> Yes he made a costly mistake and he has paid his dues.....

In what way is this even a little bit true? Unlike athletics, the Olympics is a minor event in the cycling calendar.
 fire_munki 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Mike Highbury:
How is it not true, irregardless of the size of the competition, he was still banned and still suffered for it.
That period has since passed, so why not let him compete?
 Mike Highbury 30 Apr 2012
In reply to fire_munki:
> (In reply to Mike Highbury)
> How is it not true, irregardless of the size of the competition, he was still banned and still suffered for it.
> That period has since passed, so why not let him compete?

Oh and how he has suffered.

I am not saying that DM should not compete, not that he will get selected. Rather, that DC's ban was far, far more costly to him both personally and professionally.

Cycling accepts that participants will test positive; athletics in Britain at least, but not elsewhere, has been considerably less forgiving.
In reply to andy:

This is of course all speculation as Mr Brailsford surely has the final say.

La Sham
In reply to La Shamster:

...and I think I'm right in saying Team SKY have a complete zero tolerance on doping.........(correct me if I'm wrong Alison)
 fire_munki 30 Apr 2012
In reply to La Shamster:
Sky are totally clean, if you've ever used you can never race for them.
Garmin are totally clean now, but will let you ride if you have history/exposure.

I can see both sides of their arguments, there are plenty of ride who will have come into contact with PEDs so cant ride for Sky but are now clean. I also feel that as more teams enforce "bread and water only" the old school teams will either change or fade away.
 fire_munki 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Mike Highbury:
How has he suffered?
I believe he lost a lot of money when he was banned, this wasn't directly due to the EPO but more the rather bizarre sounding contacts and payment scheme from the teams or so the books make out.
He was/is ostracised (sp) after he spoke out about the doping culture when he wasn't clean and when he came back with a team that was turning a blind eye to doping.
In reply to La Shamster:
> (In reply to andy)
>
> This is of course all speculation as Mr Brailsford surely has the final say.

He says he's happy to pick him

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/apr/20/dave-brailsford-david-millar-ol...

And Cav wants him there too.
Kipper 30 Apr 2012
In reply to andy:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/17853070
>
> Chambers will doubtless run, but will Millar ...

Does this also include the Scottish bloke (Baxter?) who won an accidental skiing medal, only to have it taken away for doping?

He doesn't seem to have been mentioned in all this (retired?).
 Chris the Tall 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Kipper:
Alan Baxter has long since retired, but I've got a feeling he wasn't even banned, since the BOA accepted his explanation and the fact that there were no performance enhancing drugs in his system. Even the IOC acknowledged it, but since their rules at the time didn't do the required (split isomer?) test, they stuck by the decision to disqualify him
Kipper 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to Kipper)
> Alan Baxter has long since retired, but I've got a feeling he wasn't even banned, since the BOA accepted his explanation and the fact that there were no performance enhancing drugs in his system. Even the IOC acknowledged it, but since their rules at the time didn't do the required (split isomer?) test, they stuck by the decision to disqualify him

Thanks.

Reading his wikipedia page (with a pinch of salt) it appears he was banned, but it was overturned. I'm not sure where that left him in the eyes of the BOA.

It looks like he turned to track cycling, but failed to make the Commonwealth team in 2010.

The moral of the story seems to be - don't take methampetamine.

birdie num num 30 Apr 2012
In reply to andy:
Num Num is quite glad about this because he wants to be able to have a spliff when he goes to see the team pursuit
 AlisonSmiles 01 May 2012
In reply to La Shamster: Still do. On fantasy cycling, if we put together a Brit dream team I reckon most would pick Millar; I imagine it's a feeling of the one that got away for DB.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...