UKC

Alpine Climbing in Winter with Little Alpine Experience?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 54ms 29 Apr 2012
Proper Darwin Award stuff here or is actually feasible?

Since my mate and I have got plenty of time of this winter, the idea of an extended climbing trip somewhere seems quite appealing. I was thinking along the lines of bolts, nice limestone, pretty girls with a cheap cost of living, that sort of thing.

He's suggested going to the Alps instead. Personally I think to much bouldering and the Southern Sandstone has done something to his state of mind or I am being to quick to judge.

kwoods 30 Apr 2012
In reply to 54ms: Never been to the Alps myself, but the first chapters of Psychovertical might be a good idea of the Alps in winter... sounds gnarly.
 Morgan Woods 30 Apr 2012
In reply to 54ms:

Can you both ski off-piste? And have avalanche gear and know how to use it? Otherwise ice-climbing might be the go.
In reply to 54ms: It depends how you define winter alpine climbing. There are climbs that are easy access and not too serious. Cosmiques Arete, Petite Verte and those on the rock triangle of Mont Blanc du Tacul for example but these are comparatively short routes. The only one that I know you can get to without skis is the Petite Verte. It may be possible with the others but there is no guarantee. There is valley ice climbing in the Chamonix valley and loads more within 2 hours drive. For any of the more "classic" bigger alpine climbs I would strongly recommend getting in a couple of summer seasons beforehand and investing in some very good boots and clothing systems. Winter climbing in the alps leaves very little margin for error. When the weather turns it turns with a vengeance and the likely hood and scale of avalanches is increased dramatically.

Al

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...