UKC

Intake Ridge, Borrowdale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 01 May 2012
Evening all,

After looking at the map and reading the description in the guidebook I am struggling to find exactly where the start of Intake Ridge is....

Can anyone help with a grid reference from the 1:25 OS map for North Western area????
 nickcj 01 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

From combe ghyll head straight up the wall and where it bends round a corner to the left start scrambling straight up through a rocky gully and head over to a chimney below and left of glaciated slab.
 Mark Bull 01 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

About NY253128
OP AdCo82 01 May 2012
In reply to nickcj:

Which bit of the ghyll? There are many walls......
 dan bulman 01 May 2012
the last wall as you enter the hanging valley of coombe ghyll. there is a sheepfold there. you wont miss it.
OP AdCo82 01 May 2012
In reply to dan bulman:

I really am struggling with this one....where does the ridge end???
 dan bulman 01 May 2012
the wall you go through is around 252 128. the ridge drops to the drystone wall corner due east of there.
its a very disjointed route with bits of walking then bits of scrambling. the best bit is crossing then climbing glaciated slab. the route is not really a ridge just a scrat up the hillside linking the best bits of rock. it is easy to spot once your there. it ends inbetween bessy boot and high knott. not easily seen on a map.
i've done it once but wont bother doing it again.
OP AdCo82 01 May 2012
In reply to dan bulman:

Thanks, I think I have located it???

It gets good ratings online and in the guidebook. Why didn't you like it????
 dan bulman 01 May 2012
yeah i know. thats why i did it too. maybe i went off route somewhere? just a bit too broken i think. the glaciated slab bit is good. perhaps i should give it another go...
OP AdCo82 01 May 2012
In reply to dan bulman:

ah right.

Have you done cam crag on the other side???
OP AdCo82 01 May 2012
In reply to dixmarra:

what is that meant to show????
 Simon Caldwell 01 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
Wild guess, given the subject of the thread and the location of the map - the start of Intake Ridge?
OP AdCo82 01 May 2012
In reply to Toreador:

I know, I was being sarcastic, not very clear or useful is it, a dot on a green background!!!!!
 Carolyn 01 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

> Have you done cam crag on the other side???

Cam Crag Ridge is better IMO. Intake ridge seems to be odd diff pitches mixed in with grass, and takes some effort to find a satisfying route. Or maybe I missed something. Cam Crag ridge is easier to find a continuous nice line through.

At any rate, I've never been tempted back to Intake, but have done Cam Crag a few times.
 Kelcat 01 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: I'm really not meaning to be antagonistic, but perhaps it would be worth brushing up on some nav / map reading. If you're heading into the hills to climb these routes?
It's a good, but v broken scramble, I recall quite a bit of walking over grassy areas, but what scrambling there was was good.
OP AdCo82 01 May 2012
In reply to Carolyn:

Did you take any gear with you for Cam Crag???? Just heard / read that some people take rope and bit of gear????

In reply to Kelcat:

There is nothing wrong with my map reading and navigation, out of all the scrambles I have looked for it is the only one I was a little unsure on the exact area of the scramble start!!!!
 Carolyn 01 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Cam crag ridge - you can find a nice way up without the need for any gear. But there are a couple of places where there's an option to do something a bit harder. From what I remember I soloed them and brought my "second" up with just a rope round their waist. The other times I've just scrambled whatever I'm happy to solo. There aren't any tricky bits that you can't avoid from what I remember.
OP AdCo82 01 May 2012
In reply to Carolyn:

Cheers for that. I am happy to climb grade II without rope. Just wondered if it was worth taking for other bits but think I will just stick to the grade II first time. Is the grade II route obvious as the guidebook is VERY vague.

AT
 coinneach 01 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

It's all about adventure isn't it?
OP AdCo82 01 May 2012
In reply to coinneach:

I hope so
 butteredfrog 01 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Click on satellite image (top right)
 butteredfrog 01 May 2012
In reply to Carolyn:

Never taken gear along on cam crag, see if you can find the bothy at the start!
In reply to An Triubhas:

Lady Starkness is no climber -- though she's been coaxed up the odd Diff in her time. She found Cam Crag Ridge no problem at all without any ropes -- though it was a beautiful warm spring day. I don't think she's have enjoyed it as much if it was damp and greasy. It's one of the nicest grade 3 scrambles in the lakes. I didn't bother taking her up Intake Ridge - I'd done it before and found it very disappointing.
 shantaram 01 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: Agree with all the other comments on here. Intake ridge is a misnomer and very unsatisfying. It links a few rocky sections up a grassy hillside. Not a ridge at all. I won't go back to do it and don't know why guidebooks give it a good write up. Whereas Cam crag ridge is one of the better Lakeland scrambles. I have been up there with novice scramblers and never felt the need for getting a rope out.
 Carolyn 01 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Yes, reckon it's pretty obvious to find a grade 2 way up Cam Crag. Easy to find the bottom (and yes, see if you can find the bothy) - but it's very much "start at the bottom and go to the top". As someone said, a bit hairier if it's wet - tends to be a bit outwards sloping - but great rock in dry, and easy enough to find less exposed bits if it is slimey.
 petegunn 01 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: I live close to the lakes and get out in the hills a fair bit and have only done Intake Ridge once, as with others on here was quite disappointed. Cam ridge is better and if its a nice day maybe a swim in the pot before or in the tarn just along from the top.
In reply to An Triubhas: Which guidebook are you using?
 John Ww 02 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
> (In reply to Carolyn)
>
> Did you take any gear with you for Cam Crag????
> Just heard / read that some people take rope and bit of gear????
> I was a little unsure on the exact area of the scramble start!!!!

Does this help???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UKC Forums 02 May 2012
This thread was started in the ROCK DESTINATIONS forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

HILLTALK - A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 Wesley Orvis 02 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Once in the Combe it's pretty easy to spot, walk up the side of the ghyll and when it levels out into the valley floor it's the first intake wall on the left, we climbed directly from the wall going left making it a little harder, the only place we neeeded a rope was the top pitch, about a 10 to 15m vertical wall right at the top it looks quite hard but easier than it looks with good protection, I have to say i really enjoyed the route, but it's a bit of climb anywhere, i think the peopl who didn't enjoy it got the wrong line or just missed out the exciting bits as you can make it as hard or easy as you please!!!!
 Wesley Orvis 02 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

We did it the same day as Cam Crag ridge and enjoyed Intake ridge a little bit more, in my opinion take a rope for Cam Crag aswell as there is few pitches of diff climbing that you can take in, unless you are good at soloing that is......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...