UKC

UKC/UKH Mountain Photography Awards 2011: The Winners

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 02 May 2012
On the stunning ice pitches of Late to Say I'm Sorry, Aiguille Verte, 4 kbLeo Houlding announces the winners of the 20112 UKC/UKH Mountain Photography Awards.

This article has full details of all the winners and prizes, as well as a set of stunning images.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4566

mrchewy 02 May 2012
In reply to UKC Articles: That was a right enjoyable few minutes I just spent perusing... well done everyone!
In reply to UKC Articles: I'm a very happy chap just now...congratulations to all the other winners - keep up the brilliant work
 edinburgh_man 03 May 2012
In reply to UKC Articles:

To me it does not seem right to award first place to a professional photographer especially for what are commercial images.

I have a lot of respect for John Griffith, who is clearly a supremely talented climber and photographer, but it seems like very poor decision making on behalf of Berghaus and UKC to award first place to one of the more successful professional outdoor photographers (especially one who has worked with Berghaus).

John's image of the Kuffner ridge is one that John himself has described as the most successful commercial photograph that John has taken.
In reply to Ross Mathers:

I like to think that the short list Leo was given had the names of the photographers removed (that has been the case on photo competitions I've had to judge in the past). Two other points: a) You can't move the goal posts in retrospect. The competition was open to all who subscribe to UKC/H. b) Many photographers work on the fringe of being professionals i.e. not necessarily full-time, but nevertheless making some money from their work. I.e the distinction between amateur and professional is quite blurred, probably more so these days than ever.
 Mal Grey 03 May 2012

Congratulations to all involved, those are some of the most dramatic, stunning and even amusing in one case, photos of the great outdoors that I have seen.

Gordon's right - either pros are exempt from the competition at the start, or they're equally able to win. Jon's photos would stand out in any peer group, and he has a unique eye on the climbing world.

I'm particular pleased to see Nicholas doing so well, I've really enjoyed his photos. A master of light.

All the other winners are highly deserving, and I thank them for sharing their photos on UKC & UKH, both pro & amateur.
 edinburgh_man 03 May 2012

Gordon, I agree you can't move the goal posts. Furthermore I don't want to take away from the effort from all involved.

Perhaps separate categories would have been a good idea though.
 Sean Bell 03 May 2012
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> (In reply to Ross Mathers)
>
> I like to think that the short list Leo was given had the names of the photographers removed (that has been the case on photo competitions I've had to judge in the past). Two other points: a) You can't move the goal posts in retrospect. The competition was open to all who subscribe to UKC/H. b) Many photographers work on the fringe of being professionals i.e. not necessarily full-time, but nevertheless making some money from their work. I.e the distinction between amateur and professional is quite blurred, probably more so these days than ever.

I think what Gordon is saying in point b) is fair.The only difference between a professional and a good amateur/semi pro is that the pro is making money from photography full time(sometimes!).There are no special pro-only passes or qualifications required to get yourself into the mountains and take great images.Digital has allowed a fastrack to better pictures for a lot of people, which is great, because it nurtures experimentation and creativity, but conversely its becoming harder for the jobbing pro (in certain fields) to sell work, due to the high increase in quality work from 'weekend warriors'.If a professional isnt allowed to enter a competition, does that mean we should ban all amateurs from selling their their work?

....And on a brighter note, very well done to all the winners, especially Jon!
There is a wealth of photographic talent residing in UKC/UKH, both amateur and pro and I'm always inspired by the photos that appear week on week, the quality of some is of such a high standard and this can only be a good thing as it pushes us all on to go create more striking images. Congratulations to you all.

UKC exhibition anyone? Good excuse for a knees up if anything....
 ablackett 08 May 2012
In reply to UKC Articles: Anyone else spot that an outdoor shot won the "indoor" category!
 tlm 08 May 2012

Is it possible to see the photos as a full screen slide show, without having to click in and out of each one?

Fantastic and inspiring photos!
 Michael Ryan 08 May 2012
In reply to tlm:
> (In reply to UKC Articles)
>
> Is it possible to see the photos as a full screen slide show, without having to click in and out of each one?
>
> Fantastic and inspiring photos!

We have done that before

Here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=51082

I will investigate

In reply to tlm:
> Is it possible to see the photos as a full screen slide show, without having to click in and out of each one?
>
> Fantastic and inspiring photos!

You can view our photos using this plug-in - http://www.cooliris.com/desktop/

From what I remember, this will grab images on a page and arrange them in a slide show. Unfortunately it appears to have lapsed its compatibility for Macs since it doesn't work on Safari (Lion), Chrome of Firefox 12 on the Mac any more.

Alan
 tlm 08 May 2012
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Nah - I'm far too lazy to start installing things! It's easier to just click on each image in the page. I just thought in future, you could do them like you do individual's photo pages, where you can click through from one picture to the next if you want to.
Anyway - thanks for making some great climbing photos available.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...