UKC

Performance cotton sleeping bag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cha1n 02 May 2012
Is there any such thing? I hate the silk like materials used on the inside/outside of performance sleeping bags.

Are there cotton ones that will keep you warm in low temperatures? Maybe cotton combined with down? I don't care that it's heavier and less water proof. I don't get my sleeping bag wet and I'm usually car camping so the weight isn't an issue.

Thanks.
 GarethSL 02 May 2012
In reply to cha1n:

What about a cotton sleeping bag liner?

http://www.google.co.uk/#q=cotton+sleeping+bag+liner&hl=en&prmd=imv...

You don't loose any advantages of lightweight bags and you only have to put up with the outer material (which I admit does get frustratingly slippy). They're also more hygienic, really easy to clean and make your gonk bag smell less too. I use one on expeditions, much easier than constantly having to wash my sack during the short break between trips.
OP cha1n 02 May 2012
In reply to GrendeI:

Thanks for the suggestion, Grendel. I had thought of a liner but as you say, it's the slippery outer which annoys me too. I find myself taking my quilt cover with me instead of a sleeping bag more and more but it's not possible when it gets too cold.
OP cha1n 02 May 2012
In reply to cha1n:

It doesn't have to be cotton though thinking about it, just something that's not slippery. I used a cheap synthetic bag at a festival once and that wasn't too bad..
 GrahamD 02 May 2012
In reply to cha1n:

In truth, the cotton inner doesn't work that well as you still have the limited breathability of the pertex outside that (at least thats what I find with my down bag)
 Siward 02 May 2012
In reply to GrahamD: Phd were selling a ventile covered down jacket recently (not on their website at the moment). I'm sure that for a few squillion pounds they'd run up a sleeping bag for you in the same material??
 GrahamD 02 May 2012
In reply to Siward:

I'm sure they would I don't use the down bag that often now a days so I just tend to live with the claminess.

Seriously, though, my previous best bag was cotton lined, nylon outer and it was far more comfortable.
In reply to cha1n: You could look at a Buffalo sleeping bag http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/Sleep_System_main.htm - they are still synthetic but IIRC they have a 'pile' or fleece finish inside rather than tightly woven micrfibre. Apart from them, I can't immediately think of anyone making sleeping bags of out of anything other than pretty similar synthetic fabrics.

You can certainly get liners in a whole range of materials: cotton, silk and various weights of fleece.

Equally, if you are car camping why not take a full size airbed, cotton sheet and a single duvet?
OP cha1n 02 May 2012
In reply to cha1n:

Thanks again for the replies.

Too long winded to explain but it has to be a sleeping bag for various reasons. I could potentially make one myself.. I've never sewn before but it's got to be one of the most simple things to make and I do have some spare time on my hands..
 mary 02 May 2012
In reply to cha1n:

Tesco fleece sleeping bag liner, about £10.00, is really good, stretchy, warm, and good as light weight sleeping bag on warm nights.

M

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...