UKC

Learning to belay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
chris1982 02 May 2012
Hi all,

My other half needs some help learning to belay. I'm guessing from what I've read it might not be best to try and teach her myself. Aside from it not being too clever, I'm not the best climber in the world so wouldn’t want to pass on any bad habits.

We've looked at a few indoor walls but thought with it being a bank holiday this weekend it might be good to get outside and do it. She has all the kit and we did some roped scrambling work last weekend – she has also been along to the climbing wall.

Was wondering if somebody fancied helping out? Happy to do it on a paid basis, or as we did last week as part of helping someone practice for their MIA. If anyone would like to offer any suggestions that’d be great. If you’re training and can’t take payment etc then would be happy to offer a slab of beer etc as way of a thank you.

Was planning on being in North Wales all weekend if that helps – could go elsewhere of course.

Thanks for reading.
In reply to chris1982: you don't have to be a good climber to belay well. if you climb at all and are not yet dead that in my mind is sufficient for her needs. there are plenty of books/on line stuff to read and download, hell even the Petzl catalogue would be a start point.

where do you normally reside? if you're close to me, I would join you for an evenings cragging and put you right. what was wrong with using the wall? HTH.
chris1982 02 May 2012
In reply to unclesamsauntibess: Thanks for the response - much appreciated. She really enjoyed being outside on real rock last weekend doing some roped scrambling, so I thought it would be much nicer for her to carry on learning outside. No problems with the wall.

Might have to go back to the drawing board on this one!

Oh and based in N'hampton by the way, not too far from the peak but nowhere especially local.

Thanks again!

Mark Eddy 02 May 2012
In reply to chris1982: yhm
In reply to chris1982:
> Hi all,
>
> My other half needs some help learning to belay. I'm guessing from what I've read it might not be best to try and teach her myself. Aside from it not being too clever, I'm not the best climber in the world so wouldn’t want to pass on any bad habits.
>
>
>
> Thanks for reading.

I know loads of good climber who can't belay for toffee! Although belaying is a very important skill for any climber it's not the hardest of skills to learn and most people pick it up pretty quickly.
 tim000 02 May 2012
In reply to chris1982: i had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago when my wife started to climb. luckly we have a friend who used to climb and fancied starting again. so they climbed and i watch / taught them . i held on to the rope end as she belayed so if she let go / paniced i would hold the fall. seemed to work and she`s ok now.
chris1982 03 May 2012
In reply to chris1982:

Thank you everybody for all your offers of help and advice - plenty of emails to look through.

Hope you all have a good bank holiday weekend out and about!

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...