UKC

Rollers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jules699 05 May 2012
Contemplating getting some rollers instead of turbo trainer cos looks less faff to use. Correct? Bloke at Evans Cycles says their really hard to use, is this true?
 thermal_t 05 May 2012
In reply to jules699:

Not really true. Best off starting in a doorway so you can grab hold of something easily if it starts going wrong. Took me a couple of hours to get the hang of it. The easiest way to stay in control is to look at a fixed point directly ahead. Probably took me a couple of months to get to the stage where I could happily watch tv and not have to concentrate on what I was doing. However, what I would say is that for doing long steady efforts I prefer them to a turbo, but for doing interval work a turbo is still better (sprinting on rollers is going to end in tears!)
In reply to jules699:

I have a set and found them much preferable to a turbo. However a word of warning - don't try to see whether you can ride on them with your eyes closed!! I did in my kitchen and end up hugging my boiler

La Sham
 ro8x 05 May 2012
In reply to jules699: i can't get on with them personally and much prefer my turbo.

Turbo is probably better for more intense efforts - esp hill climbs, get that resistance cranked up.
OP jules699 05 May 2012
In reply to jules699: Just set it up and oh my friggin god...its nails!! The wheels are sliding left to right too. I've packed it up and taking it back tomorrow to Evans, hoping I can get a refund an buy a TT. Is a TT easier to "ride" ??
 JLS 05 May 2012
In reply to jules699:

Oh dear! Give it a week can you'll be going them no hands.

When we raced on them as kids you have someone holding you like this...

youtube.com/watch?v=B-8F6EbPRsA&

... This might help get you use to them.

The point of rollers is that - through nessecity - they cause you to develop a really smooth efficient pedalling action. For exercising you heart I'd say a turbo would be better.

Yes, turbos are easy to balance on but the pedals take a bit more pushing...
OP jules699 05 May 2012
In reply to JLS: Cheers m'dear. I really did try...i'd rather cycle outdoors in the rain than try again. I need to get more cardio in to shift a couple of excess kilo's so I try a TT.
 ro8x 06 May 2012
In reply to jules699: A TT is really easy to ride, you'll have no issues.
 Bossys gran 06 May 2012
In reply to jules699: Not hard to use at all . Only issue is sore backside. I can usually manage 40 mins max without getting off for a break. Getting out of the saddle is almost impossible. On the other hand you can get a pretty high average MPH and feel good about your cycling. And as a bonus u won't get ploughed over by some tit on a mobile phone... Enjoy.
 KateG 06 May 2012
In reply to jules699:
TT v easy to ride. However be prepared to sweat more than you thought was physically possible. Seriously, put towels on the floor, open all the windows and consider using it in your garage, if you have one. Also, it's very boring. This, combined with the pain in the arse of changing the tire so I don't shred my nice one, mean I've been riding in the rain instead!
In reply to KateG:

Never found the need to change the tyre when using rollers.

Using a Turbo Trainer is an entirely different matter.
You can shred a normal tyre very quickly on a turbo.

Concur with Kate about the sweating.

Invest in a fan (on a column is good) and a gym mat or towels for the floor, something to cover the crossbar and handlebars is essential.

Clean the bike thoroughly after use to remove the sweat.
OP jules699 06 May 2012
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet: Why do you shred the tyre on a TT?
 balmybaldwin 06 May 2012
In reply to jules699:

I think it's because you have such a small contact patch and as a result have more forceon the tyre to prevent slippage, that and the force is always in the same position.

I use the rubbish tyres that came on my bike on an old back wheel that I swap in when I'm on the TT.

The other thing it supposedly does (but Ihave no experience of) is make your tyre supper smooth, which means in the wet the tyre will struggle for grip on the road.

In reply to the OP, yes a TT is very easy to ride on, and you can stand on it, as long as you don't rock the bike from side to side. As others have said, get a fan and towels

To avoid boredom look at: http://www.thesufferfest.com/ These videos are really good.

I have the Angels video, and the Hell Hath no Fury Video (lot's of nice women's bums to watch as you grovel on the handlebars!)
 mutt 06 May 2012
In reply to jules699:

My dear wife has picked up the balance on the rollers in 30 minutes. Persist if you haven't already taken them back. She said that the trick is to look forward and not down. teaches good technique too I hear as you learn to cycle upright. I guess that is more efficient.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...