UKC

Extreme Alpine Rock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sandstonier 05 May 2012
Noticed that a copy of this book is currently being auctioned on E Bay. Does anyone know how many copies were printed? Are they rarer than Hard Rock?
 Steve John B 05 May 2012
In reply to ruckman: Rarer than Hard Rock, less rare than Extreme Rock (judging by prices on Amazon - £25/£80/£215)
 Tom Last 05 May 2012
In reply to ruckman:

Is Hard Rock at all rare then? It's just that it's out of print isn't it - must be hundreds of copies second hand to be had.
 alasdair19 05 May 2012
In reply to Southern Man: there were multiple editions of hard rock so stacks about. All before ky time so if ken is thinking of another edition Yes please!

bill briggs1 06 May 2012
In reply to ruckman: The copy to get is Richard McHardy's. I think he has done all but 1 route in the book.
 Null 06 May 2012
In reply to bill briggs1:
> Richard McHardy

How is Richard getting on? Still living on the edge of the world?
bill briggs1 06 May 2012
In reply to Erstwhile: Still on the Black Isle, last saw him at a Alpha dinner, he's got his book out, great climber.
 Null 07 May 2012
In reply to bill briggs1:
> (In reply to Erstwhile) he's got his book out

Say "hello" from Gavin Taylor next time you see him. Tell him I now live in the Dolomites, if he fancies a visit.
A book ? Must look out for a copy (not easy when you live in Italy).
 alpinist63 07 May 2012
In reply to ruckman:
the german (original ) edition IM EXTREMEN FELS is quite rare and the first as well as second edition
( 2 or 3 routes were changed) are sold from 100 up to 250 € . You can usually find 1-2 copies for sale on amazon. although the selection of routes isn't very 'extreme ' by todays standard ( well, some are very extreme ...), most routes are great classics worth doing and the photos by Jürgen Winkler are superb. IMO worth buying.
 Null 07 May 2012
In reply to alpinist63:
Was EAR the inspiration for Hard Rock etc., or was it the other way round?
 Doug 07 May 2012
In reply to Erstwhile: fairly sure the German books were the inspiration for the British books, and maybe the Denoel series of 100 best routes were also an influence 5 I think Rebuffat's Mt Blanc book was earlier than Hard Rock)
 duncan 07 May 2012
In reply to Erstwhile:

EAR was one of the influences on Hard Rock.

"The three big influences behind Hard Rock were "Rock and Ice" by Andre Roch (for its very detailed captions), "Rock for Climbing" by C.Douglas Milner (for its marvellous sense of period and its sequences), and "In Extremen Fels" (Extreme Alpine Rock) for episodic discipline and Wolf Jurgen Winkler's marvellous crag photos with very precise detail that can be picked out easily as they were taken in sunlight at exactly the correct moment."

Ken Wilson
[Needlesports website: http://www.needlesports.com/NeedleSports/hardrock/hardrock.htm ]

I'd like a copy of EAR if anyone has one to sell.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...