UKC

What is this? 3G

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
0Unknown0 06 May 2012
 The Lemming 06 May 2012
In reply to Dominicandave:

Is this a trick question?

Otherwise its a gmail log in screen
0Unknown0 06 May 2012
In reply to The Lemming: hmmm, interesting, my technical ability speaks for itself, yet again. Basically I wrote to Onda to ask if the Vi40 supports 3G, as it does not have 3G built in. And she sent me a list of numbers to which I have no idea what they mean.
An example is;

E1782 - WCDMA - CD68TCPU - 11.126.07.00.00

And there is a list of different ones, about 25.

I was basically asking if there would be any issue with me picking up 3G in Haiti and the Dominican Republic via Claro or Orange. I'm going mental and WILL buy today, if it kills me. I was looking at the Blackberry playbook also yesterday, but it seems that is ony good if you have a blackberry phone to go with it.
I see the ipad2 16gb is less than 300quid now, but I am so against buying this, but it might end up being the most expensive but most safe buy. But then again, can I use that on a pay as you go 3G? and the camera is sh1t, so.................
Life would be so much easier if I had money to burn.
 David Hooper 06 May 2012
In reply to Dominicandave: the BB PlayBook is as good as any other standalone tablet. But if you have a BB phone,you get certain unique advantages.obviously file swapping. Phone acts as fast free modem(bold better thancurve) in no wifi area. Link your. PlayBook to a stereo or big tv,you can use the phone as remote.

All the nets to do with bb were on os1,0s2 has resolved these and made a pretty perfect machine. Read some up to date reviews on Amazon etc.
 David Hooper 06 May 2012
In reply to David Hooper: ps I repeat3g etc is free on the bb
In reply to Dominicandave:

WCDMA = Wideband CDMA which is approximately equivalent to '3G'
0Unknown0 06 May 2012
In reply to David Hooper:
> (In reply to David Hooper) ps I repeat3g etc is free on the bb

What, I don't need to pay for internet use if I buy the BB playbook? that can't be right, can it?
0Unknown0 06 May 2012
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:
> (In reply to Dominicandave)
>
> WCDMA = Wideband CDMA which is approximately equivalent to '3G'

So what does that mean? Can I use the Onda in Haiti on Claro or Orange pay as you go?
 David Hooper 06 May 2012
In reply to Dominicandave: no - using the bb phone as you modem is free. Mind you - you probably need to check your own contract terms. I'm with O2 and it seems very generous each month.

AFAIK there isn't a 3 g PlayBook, just wifi and bluetooth,tethering to the phone gives you extra connectivity.

I believe with an ipad,you have to pay for a separate data package?
 David Hooper 06 May 2012
In reply to David Hooper: so basically,I pay for my homebroadband and router,which my PlayBook picks up for free.

I pay for my 3G,edge,gprs,etc through my phone contract,which the PlayBook tehers to for free.

All works very well.but as I said,check the t and c of your supplier to be safe.

I may be worth hunting for a phone and PlayBook bundle. I would imagine there are some good deals around at the moment.
0Unknown0 06 May 2012
In reply to David Hooper: I'm unsure, I will be using it in Haiti and will not be on a contract phone so I think it would be a mistake. I need 3G pay as you go to get online out there. There is no point in me taking out a contract in Hispanola for temporary use as we are not based there anymore. It actually is beginning to look like some of the not so obvious makes might suit me better.
0Unknown0 06 May 2012
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh: I found this out, so will it work ok in hispanola?
Not built in, support external 3G dongle: E1916, ZTE AC2736, HUAWEI E1750, HUAWEI EC122, HUAWEI EM770W

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...