UKC

Ice Climbing for Novices

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 08 May 2012
OK, I'm never likely, at 66, to go and do the Eiger Nordwand but I sometimes wonder about trying an ice climb and have though about going to one of the indoor ones.

Can anyone give any advice for an old fart who wants to try something silly?

Thanks.
 climber34neil 08 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex: Hi, indoor ice will give you an idea of the actual process of ice climbing and can be a nice introduction in techniques etc, however I think you also would need to consider wider aspects of winter climbing if heading for the mountains such as general mountain craft, winter navigation, effects of cold/ exposure, route finding and suffering the misery of a freezing belay while your mate has an epic on the route! All good fun though . Maybe a session or two on indoor ice then perhaps consider a guide or course on winter climbing to get most satisfaction and fun . Go for it and have fun!!!
Paul035 08 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

Do it.
Do it.

It can be quite demanding physically, but a good level of rock climbing fitness is fine to get you going. Technically its not all that hard once you've picked up the basics of stepping up rather than pulling up, keeping heels low etc and trusting the points. A couple of indoor sessions would be ideal for this then do an outdoor route next season, either with an experienced leader, or a guide.

You would realise what you've been missing all these years!!
 jcharles 08 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

Did the course at The Ice Factor, Kinlochleven, years ago, and really enjoyed it. Advice? Do it, you know you want to.
OP mypyrex 08 May 2012
In reply to climber34neil: Ta, I'm not really planning to do anything big outside. I just wanted to "get a taste of it"

I've always been happy walking with axe and crampons.
 IanT 08 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

I had a go recently at indoor ice climbing at London. Highly recommended, the instructors were friendly enough and I enjoyed the experience! It is quite expensive, but that would be my only grumble.

I went ice climbing after not doing any physical exercise for a good year and I was knackered afterwards! No surprises there though . .
OP mypyrex 08 May 2012
In reply to Paul035:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
>
> Do it.
> Do it.
>
> It can be quite demanding physically, but a good level of rock climbing fitness is fine to get you going.

That's the trouble - apart from scrambling I've not done anything on rock since I was a young fart. However I've started doing a bit of weight work at the gym.
OP mypyrex 08 May 2012
In reply to IanT:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
>
>
> I went ice climbing after not doing any physical exercise for a good year and I was knackered afterwards!

And you're less than half my age!
Anonymous 08 May 2012
In reply to climber34neil:
Rjukan is the answer to any concerns about navigation
 benghull 08 May 2012
In reply to mypyrex:
+1 for the taster course at the Ice Factor in Kinlochleven. Great way to get a feel for the mechanics of ice climbing. Great work out as well i count myself reasonably fit and was absolutly knackered afterwards.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...