UKC

Path below Great Napes / Westmorand Cairn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 11 May 2012
as the above and up on to Great Gable between Great Gable and White Naples......what is it like underfoot????
 Carolyn 11 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Path below the crag is OK, narrow path on steepish hillside. There's a trickyish downclimb if you "thread the needle" (ie go between Napes Needle and the base of the main crag) but I'm pretty certain that's avoidable.

I've never done the bit up the end of the crag and White Napes. The fact there's only a green line (public footpath) but no black line (footpath visible to the mapper) underneath it suggest there may not be much! That tends to be the way in the Lakes.... trust the black lines, not the green!

I've done something approximating to the higher bit (done a climb up the Napes, and then gone more or less straight up to the summit) - broken ground, but easily enough to find a way through from what I recall. I'm pretty sure we were looking for interesting bits to scramble amongst easier ground, rather than searching for easy ground, if that makes sense.

But it's a few years since I did it, hopefully someone else will have more knowledge!
OP AdCo82 11 May 2012
In reply to Carolyn:

Thank you, very very useful......is it an enjoyable walk?? Plenty to see????
 Mark Eddy 11 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: Aye there's plenty of interest to see, a good fun outing
OP AdCo82 11 May 2012
In reply to A Mountain Journey: is it a scramble or walk?????
 Carolyn 11 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

I think it largely depends on your route choice - there's a path (though you might need to continue on a bit before turning right up hill, as the black line does), so you could walk it, but plenty of options to find outcrops to scramble, particularly as you head uphill. Threading the Needle is short but entertaining. And definitely more than walking, you'll need your hands out your pockets for that one.
OP AdCo82 11 May 2012
In reply to Carolyn: is that easy to find, ok in wet????
In reply to An Triubhas: Depending if you're scrambling or not there might be some relevant info here: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=98
 Carolyn 12 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
> (In reply to Carolyn) is that easy to find, ok in wet???

Well, my parents in law have managed to completely miss Napes Needle whilst walking along the path in clag! They're not renowned for being the most observant, though. But following the path along under the crag and arriving safely at the other end was fine.

I don't remember all that much about the downclimb from threading the needle. It's big holds but pretty vertical from what I do remember. So very simple climbing but off putting, and tall enough you wouldn't want to fall off it - possibly 20 ft? But likely to be fine if you've ever climbed anything.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...